Never use Rainx???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bborzell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
OK, I just realized that I bought several bottles of this stuff in 2019. They have changed the appearance since then.

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13

DonF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.6 Cummins
I used Rain-X back in the 70s and 80s and never had any problems. I've also had friends tell me that you could use CokeCola in a pinch if your windshield wipers weren't working but that the rain would dissolve it pretty quickly.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know about RainX softening the glass of a windshield. What I do know is that RainX gums up the windshield washer pump, tubing, and spray nozzles. I had to replace the pump in my 2012 RAM Hemi 4X4 Quad cab about not too long ago and now, according to the RAM dealer, the tubing and nozzles are plugged up. They want $365 to replace the tubing and nozzles. I just ordered a package of hood insulation retainer clips and a removal tool and will tackle it myself. I held off ordering the nozzles to see if I can clear them of the slimy gunk before spending the $56 each to replace them as well. RainX is bad and I'll never use it again.
As I mentioned above, I have heard of several people that this happened to but they were trying to 'super-strength' it and double the amount they put in. I use the Rain-X washer reservoir stuff and have never had an issue. I just make sure I mix it according to the directions - and I use distilled water.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I've been using RainX since the 70's also. Yes it is a little hard to get applied correctly. First hose the windshield down good with it and rub it in. Keep wiping until most of it is gone. Wait for the haze to appear and wipe again with a clean dry cloth until streak free.

I love the way water just streams off the windshield in rain. I hardly have to use wipers except in the hardest of rain. Other wise the wind just blows it off...

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use RainX to clean my windshield and I also use RainX windshield
wipers which leaves a thin film when I use the wipers. Works great
and I find that the rain sensing function works great with the combination
of both the cleaner and the wipers. Never heard that RainX causes the
possibility of rock chips to increase.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
I have used RainX windshield washer fluid for numerous years now in all of my cars and trucks. Never ever had any trouble out of it. I have heard all kinds of stories. Never any problems as of now. Now the RainX that was put out years back that was intended for the interior really sucked. Only used that once.. Besides if it made your glass soft, you have insurance to replace the window?????????????

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Another Rain-X Fanboy here. Used it many years. Don't know if mentioned in the thread but another benefit: in the winter scraping windshield clear after freezing rain is much easier.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used RainX windshield washer fluid for numerous years now in all of my cars and trucks. Never ever had any trouble out of it. I have heard all kinds of stories. Never any problems as of now. Now the RainX that was put out years back that was intended for the interior really sucked. Only used that once.. Besides if it made your glass soft, you have insurance to replace the window?????????????
Is that an AI produced Popeye?

dodgefarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Our 2001 dodge still has factory windshield and had Rain X since year 1. no issues in 380,000 miles. But I did live in Colorado for a few years and drove a car there, that I didn't treat with Rain X and it had the pitting you are talking about. I think its all the stuff they put on the roads for snow and ice always pelting the windshield ( I think it was mainly sand with some salt added to it back then). I even replaced the windshield up there and was amazed at how clear that new one was for like a month and then it was pitted again with no rain x used. Bug shield might stop smaller stuff from hitting your windshield.

MaximumSteel18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used rain-x since the mid 90’s and never had a problem.
I do like how the rain just runs off the windshield especially at night.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to get a chip filled, and my windshield is getting kinda "sparkly" with mico chips I guess...
The Windshield guy told me RainX is the worst thing for a windshield because it softens the glass? Lets even the smallest particle will leave a chip?
I dunno...
I'm about to use Glass Stripper to get a deep clean anyway.
BUT, my question: so is it okay to use a ceramic glass coating afterwards?
Is Glass stripper's Ceramic Kit okay to use?
Anything else instead?

I know this is probably "another windshield thread" but I just wanna do the right thing
I call BS on the tech. Have used Rain X for years. In my opinion it helps prevent certain issues such as pitting from acid rain. Also seems to assist in wiper blade life. My two cents.

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you want a good water repellent for your windshield Aquapel is great and doesn't interfere with chip repair.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had to get a chip filled, and my windshield is getting kinda "sparkly" with mico chips I guess...
The Windshield guy told me RainX is the worst thing for a windshield because it softens the glass? Lets even the smallest particle will leave a chip?
I dunno...
I'm about to use Glass Stripper to get a deep clean anyway.
BUT, my question: so is it okay to use a ceramic glass coating afterwards?
Is Glass stripper's Ceramic Kit okay to use?
Anything else instead?

I know this is probably "another windshield thread" but I just wanna do the right thing
It's bad for motorcycle windshields. It's great for glass windshields. Motorcycle windshields are acrylic or lexan with protective coatings that Rainx will ruin.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never heard of Rainx softening glass and have used it in the past … if you want to get a real clean windshield spray on some glass cleaner and use 00 steel wool to give it a nice clean finish …

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used Rain-Ex for years on glass. never had a problem. Not sure about their washer fluid, some folks say it gums up. Living on a dirt road I usually I use it quickly enough it does not stay in the tank long. Living in SE Texas I use the 32 degree stuff, except when I head north during the winter.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
To clean my windshield, I wet the windshield with water or washer fluid then I clean it with 1000 0r#0000 steel wool. Comes out spotless.

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used RainX on everything from the windows to headlights. I even went as far as to use it on an old Silverado that had terrible water spotting. It helped remove some on the water spots with an orbital. Now, Denatured Alcohol is similar to RainX, so you can use that if you find a good sale. Spring and Fall I use #000 Steel wool & vinegar to remove all the grime that collects on my windshields and then recoat with RainX.