New Jack for lifted 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wkirklandco

Reaction score
I just realized after leveling and putting 33" tires on new wheels that my stock scissor jack will not even get the tires off the ground.

Any suggestions for a new jack that will actually lift the truck in case I get a flat?
Will a 2500 jack work in getting the tires off the ground?

Thanks all!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the wheel hooks to lift about anything (excluding ag/military/freight stuff that weighs infinity pounds) with a hi-lift, in relative safety - it's still a hi-lift - the way you do a tire change is to lift it by the wheel, build some kind of cribbing under the axle, remove the jack, replace the tire, re-jack, remove cribbing...

I briefly owned one of those air bladders and tried it out at home so I wouldn't have to figure it out for the first time when I really needed it. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life and I sold it again right away.

Reactions: JB1

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can use the wheel hooks to lift about anything (excluding ag/military/freight stuff that weighs infinity pounds) with a hi-lift, in relative safety - it's still a hi-lift - the way you do a tire change is to lift it by the wheel, build some kind of cribbing under the axle, remove the jack, replace the tire, re-jack, remove cribbing...

I briefly owned one of those air bladders and tried it out at home so I wouldn't have to figure it out for the first time when I really needed it. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life and I sold it again right away.

Cribbing on a trail or even side of road sounds like a challenge. I have a HL and won’t be carrying it until I get some lift points on the rig or I suppose the wheel lift attachment you mentioned. I don’t suppose just carrying a good chunk of 4x4 post would get the OP able to change a tire? My lift gets installed tomorrow and I’m sure I’m screwed for tire changes anywhere but at home until I figure this one out.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cribbing on a trail or even side of road sounds like a challenge. I have a HL and won’t be carrying it until I get some lift points on the rig or I suppose the wheel lift attachment you mentioned. I don’t suppose just carrying a good chunk of 4x4 post would get the OP able to change a tire? My lift gets installed tomorrow and I’m sure I’m screwed for tire changes anywhere but at home until I figure this one out.

I generally carry a few odds and ends of lumber in the back of my 4wd as they make versatile and relatively lightweight tools... just like 2 or 3 pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 a foot long or so, whatever's leftover from household projects. You can use them to keep a jack base from sinking into soft dirt, use them as a quick ramp or mud traction, use them as a mallet or a wedge.. it's usually not practical to carry so much as to build proper IATSE/OSHA approved cribbing but with some local foraging can usually be enough. Or just use them to raise the base of your OEM jack enough that it lifts the axle.

If you end up stranded you can chip 'em down for kindling to start a fire too :)

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I generally carry a few odds and ends of lumber in the back of my 4wd as they make versatile and relatively lightweight tools... just like 2 or 3 pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 a foot long or so, whatever's leftover from household projects. You can use them to keep a jack base from sinking into soft dirt, use them as a quick ramp or mud traction, use them as a mallet or a wedge.. it's usually not practical to carry so much as to build proper IATSE/OSHA approved cribbing but with some local foraging can usually be enough. Or just use them to raise the base of your OEM jack enough that it lifts the axle.

If you end up stranded you can chip 'em down for kindling to start a fire too :)

yep. Time for some wood in the Ram Boxes I guess.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Scissor jack works fine for stock 33” tires. 37” tires only require 2”$ of added lift. Factory jack will get it done no problem. However Harbour freight has their $59.99 floor jack witch I use,it adds stability.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
33 inch tire is what , an inch bigger then stock. I dont see why there is a issue using the factory jack.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, 33 is stock size unless you had the smaller 17 wheels with the tiny tires. Don't know how the op is placing the factory jack down there but it should definitely work. I have that plus I also have an 8 ton bottle jack from HF. Haven't used it yet, also have a hi lift jack and have rock sliders or steel bumpers where the jack can be supported. havent used that one yet either but It'll be the absolute last option given the nature of the jack.Hi lift jacks are recovery tools meant for emergencies and should not be used as your main jack. On a factory truck without real recovery points you'll have to buy the wheel adapters. Practice practice practice before using one. Just like spring compressors things can go wrong badly if you are not paying attention. I also have the hi lift HD base that I'll use to place the bottle jack or scissor jack before I put the hi lift jack in there :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
wkirklandco

wkirklandco

Reaction score
So I tried the scissor in the basic spot recommended when I had the original tires (mine had the small 17" wheels with 265/70 tires). Don't forget, mine is a 2011 1500. I remember when I went to the lot to get it, they had just started with the larger 20" wheels on 2012 models with the larger tires.

With the original tires in the recommended jack position, the scissor jack is fine, but with the new 33" tires and the level kit, the tire doesn't get off the ground. Using a piece of 4x4 lumber does the trick, but I didn't know if anyone had a more stable recommendation. My biggest concern is if I'm off the beaten path and have an issue. I already need to invest in a portable air compressor (if I decide to deflate) and new lug wrench as the new lug nuts are a different size. Might as well invest in a better jack!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I use one of these for tire swapping at the track and love it.It gets used every week-end,and so far hasn't give me any issues in the 3 years i've had them.Bought 1 loved it,then bought another to throw in the wifes car.If you're on soft ground,you'd want to throw some dunage/blocking under it,other wise it'd sink into the ground. They're light and convient to use,and most have a built in air compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/HEELP-Electr...rd_i=B07TT6C89G&pd_rd_r=273fd299-df36-4f60-91

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good way to lose a tooth too... ;)

Only if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

Seriously, tho. What are the lift points?

Receiver hitch in the rear. Rear or front wheels or the receiver safety chain loops with the use of a HiLift "Lift-Mate". Trucks with front steel bumpers can be lifted with the HiLift "Bumper Lift" kit.

without aftermarket bumpers and possibly sliders, is there even a way to lift a Ram 1500 with a HiLift?

If you have a full urethane sport bumper then a bottle jack and blocks placed under the truck near the side you need lifted would work best.