New to the Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtyduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2019 Classic with 5.7 Hemi. It has 49 000 miles and I would like to change the oil just to start things on the good side. Can anyone suggest a good oil. Weight and viscosity. I'm new to the Hemi. Owned Ford trucks most of my grown life. Thanks

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh my God, the answers you're going to get. I'll just tell you what I use and you can go from there. I use Red Line 5w30. I don't get into the science of it, it's one of the most expensive but oil is cheaper than metal is my only answer. I've been a mechanic for 45+ years for whatever that is worth and l have never blown and engine. I have always changed my oil at 5000 miles. Good luck in your choice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bought a 2019 Classic with 5.7 Hemi. It has 49 000 miles and I would like to change the oil just to start things on the good side. Can anyone suggest a good oil. Weight and viscosity. I'm new to the Hemi. Owned Ford trucks most of my grown life. Thanks
I still consider myself a Ford guy even though I have never bought a Ford after the turn of the century, those 90's Fords were special. I love rams now, and you got a beaut partner. The latest spec on oil gf-6 has all oils universal really, so use any 5w30 that you like, but I would verify some moly. Top oil on the board is Pennzoil ultra platinum (PUP) second is mobil 1, then amsoil and then redline. If you get hemi tick at some point, then you worry about oil and the oil threads, until then consider Pennzoil or m1. Three things to think about filter, an additive like biotech, and getting a uoa to see condition of the engine wear. Read filter thread in my sig, biotech as well in my sig, I like Blackstone labs for uoa, I have been impressed over and over again with them, seams like there is a long wait these days like weeks.

OP
OP
Dirtyduck

Dirtyduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still consider myself a Ford guy even though I have never bought a Ford after the turn of the century, those 90's Fords were special. I love rams now, and you got a beaut partner. The latest spec on oil gf-6 has all oils universal really, so use any 5w30 that you like, but I would verify some moly. Top oil on the board is Pennzoil ultra platinum (PUP) second is mobil 1, then amsoil and then redline. If you get hemi tick at some point, then you worry about oil and the oil threads, until then consider Pennzoil or m1. Three things to think about filter, an additive like biotech, and getting a uoa to see condition of the engine wear. Read filter thread in my sig, biotech as well in my sig, I like Blackstone labs for uoa, I have been impressed over and over again with them, seams like there is a long wait these days like weeks.
Just found the biotech additive. Should I use a full quart for the oil change?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1/2 qt per change. Check out threads Burla refers to. Also get good full synthetic filter. Thread for that too. Lube guard comes in 16 oz and 32 oz bottles. I just dump in the whole 16. Also when change put in that amount less of oil.

Change, run, verify levels and no leaks. U might wanna check out you tubes on how to change due to location of oil filter

@Burla. Did I forget anything?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
you can buy a quart, you save that way for 2 doses, but you generally want 1/2 quart for 7 qrts oil change. It also allows you to use a lesser name oil, as stated all gf-6's the samish, so you can run Kirkland synthetic oil or similar which is dirt cheap and this really boosts that.

OP
OP
Dirtyduck

Dirtyduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. I still shadetree but it is more and more difficult. Oil change is the life of the motor. I've always used Mobil1 in my Ford and RedLine in my Harley. Delo in 18 wheeler. As I am learning, a Hemi is a different animal. Always open for advice. My truck is a 2019 Classic. Been a little confusing ordering trim and aftermarket accessories. Parts guy said that I should order for 2018. I guess that is where I'm at with that. I never give it any thought when buying a Ram Classic. I'm enjoying the truck. Just have to look(harder) before I leap. Thanks again.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Welcome to the Club, and nice rig you have there.

I had a 19' Classic in Hydro Pearl Blue and loved her.

As has been advised, 5W30 synthetic, BioTech in the oil if not running Red Line 5W30 High Performance, and a good synthetic media oil filter.

Keep your idling to a minimum, use good fuel, and enjoy your HEMI Ram ownership experience.
These are beauty trucks!!

Spark plugs are a good start for your truck. Rock Auto and perhaps look at the NGK Ruthenium HX plugs as well.
Check and gently tighten ALL the intake manifold bolts as these are known to loosen up.
Check your fuses and seat them as they are known to not be well seated (you bought used, so not know if the previous owner did this or not).
Clean your throttle body and PCV valve.

Really good maintenance items to consider are an oil catch can, and the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve upgrade to keep your transmission temps down as our 8spd's are known to run hot.

OP
OP
Dirtyduck

Dirtyduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the Club, and nice rig you have there.

I had a 19' Classic in Hydro Pearl Blue and loved her.

As has been advised, 5W30 synthetic, BioTech in the oil if not running Red Line 5W30 High Performance, and a good synthetic media oil filter.

Keep your idling to a minimum, use good fuel, and enjoy your HEMI Ram ownership experience.
These are beauty trucks!!

Spark plugs are a good start for your truck. Rock Auto and perhaps look at the NGK Ruthenium HX plugs as well.
Check and gently tighten ALL the intake manifold bolts as these are known to loosen up.
Check your fuses and seat them as they are known to not be well seated (you bought used, so not know if the previous owner did this or not).
Clean your throttle body and PCV valve.

Really good maintenance items to consider are an oil catch can, and the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve upgrade to keep your transmission temps down as our 8spd's are known to run hot.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking time to point out some of the maintenance highlights. I will definitely check the items that you mentioned. I looked at the caulk04 cooler. Makes sense. I probably wouldn't have considered a catch can for a truck. Also makes sense. I mounted one on my motorcycle, so I understand the purpose. My truck is in great condition. It was a lease and was maintained. It is very comfortable and it is powerful. I guess if there is anything that I am not caring for about the truck it would be the MDS. Gonna take a little getting used to. I'm reading and learning and thanks to all of you. Listening to sound advice.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you. I appreciate you taking time to point out some of the maintenance highlights. I will definitely check the items that you mentioned. I looked at the caulk04 cooler. Makes sense. I probably wouldn't have considered a catch can for a truck. Also makes sense. I mounted one on my motorcycle, so I understand the purpose. My truck is in great condition. It was a lease and was maintained. It is very comfortable and it is powerful. I guess if there is anything that I am not caring for about the truck it would be the MDS. Gonna take a little getting used to. I'm reading and learning and thanks to all of you. Listening to sound advice.
Don't baby it,the hemi is not an engine that likes to be drove by Grandma,it's happier when being drove on the aggressive side

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have indicated you will get many different answers on oil and viscosity so I will just say what I use as it has worked well for me ... I have a 2020 5th Gen Longhorn and I have used 5W20 in my truck as recommended in the manual ... (I've had two previous Longhorns with the 5.7 as well) ... I use only Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic along with the matching Mobil 1 oil filter ... I've never developed a hemi tick in any of my Ram's ...
I actually know the guy who bought my 2013 Ram when I traded it in on a new 2017 ... He's still driving it ...

OP
OP
Dirtyduck

Dirtyduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As others have indicated you will get many different answers on oil and viscosity so I will just say what I use as it has worked well for me ... I have a 2020 5th Gen Longhorn and I have used 5W20 in my truck as recommended in the manual ... (I've had two previous Longhorns with the 5.7 as well) ... I use only Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic along with the matching Mobil 1 oil filter ... I've never developed a hemi tick in any of my Ram's ...
I actually know the guy who bought my 2013 Ram when I traded it in on a new 2017 ... He's still driving it ...
Thanks. I'm impressed. I'm really enjoying my truck. My Pops was a mopar man. All I ever knew of him owning. I had a couple of Dodge trucks when I was younger. Talking 318 days. My first Hemi. I'm enjoying all the information from all of ya'll. I'm on a 18 wheeler most of the week and only drive the Ram on the weekend. This past weekend I got on the freeway around Mobile. First time on the big road with it. I decided to dig into it a little bit and it took off. I thought that I was in the passing gear and it shifted again and for real took off. No hesitation or lag. Straight to the get up. Yes, I'm very impressed. 20240823_101940.jpg