NHTSA investigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
My 22 1500 5.7 HEMI eTorque has stalled unexpectedly 4 times in the past 8 months. Always after stopping at an intersection. It stalls when attempting to start rolling after a complete stop. No warning lights. Since it has been very infrequent and random, I haven’t taken it in to the dealership for this issue.

Today I heard a report that the NHTSA has received enough complaints about this issue start a formal investigation. The report is correct. The NHTSA is starting to look into it. If you have/are experiencing this issue please go to NHTSA’s site and file a complaint. The more complaints they receive the more likely they will pressure Stellantis into a formal recall to address this matter.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted an article on this yesterday. Hopefully this gains traction and they are forced to get this resolved. Sounds bad.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If Stellantis takes action there I would assume there will be a bunch of ambulance-chasers claiming to have this issue and need it fixed.

If you think you want to get in on any resolution I recommend taking the the truck in to have it looked at so it's on record before anything becomes official...even if they say "it's normal" or "can't reproduce" you have it on file.

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
If Stellantis takes action there I would assume there will be a bunch of ambulance-chasers claiming to have this issue and need it fixed.

If you think you want to get in on any resolution I recommend taking the the truck in to have it looked at so it's on record before anything becomes official...even if they say "it's normal" or "can't reproduce" you have it on file.
Agreed

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 22 1500 5.7 HEMI eTorque has stalled unexpectedly 4 times in the past 8 months. Always after stopping at an intersection. It stalls when attempting to start rolling after a complete stop. No warning lights. Since it has been very infrequent and random, I haven’t taken it in to the dealership for this issue.

Today I heard a report that the NHTSA has received enough complaints about this issue start a formal investigation. The report is correct. The NHTSA is starting to look into it. If you have/are experiencing this issue please go to NHTSA’s site and file a complaint. The more complaints they receive the more likely they will pressure Stellantis into a formal recall to address this matter.
After the 2nd time of this happening in my ordered 22 rebel 1500 V8 with eTorque and no resolution after multiple dealer visits & 20k miles (see here and here and other ram site GtYankee linked here)

... I traded it in 19mos ago on another 22 V8 without eTorque before I got T-boned by some idiot texting.... Lost a bunch of $.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's past the day to stop trusting the garbage they are hanging on these hemi's that nobody wants but it's for the "climate". On the other hand, if you like these goals, then have at it, hopefully it works out, but don't complain when the hoaxware crumbles. Nothing they add to these trucks are for longevity of ownership. Gotta seriously consider hd's even if you don't need that, the 1500's are just littered with experiments that are all bad ideas.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But, all of the stuff they have done, nothing pays off for mileage like the transmission upgrades. They should have walked away from everything else imo, but going to the 6 speed bump up in mileage, going to 8 speed yup another bump. Just reported, the new 8 speed is coming to 2500's scheduled for 2025. So hopefully HD's will have garbage to a minimum, but real gains at the pump with the 8 speed. Maybe get a base model 2500 likely cheaper then a loaded 1500? just sayn

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
But, all of the stuff they have done, nothing pays off for mileage like the transmission upgrades. They should have walked away from everything else imo, but going to the 6 speed bump up in mileage, going to 8 speed yup another bump. Just reported, the new 8 speed is coming to 2500's scheduled for 2025. So hopefully HD's will have garbage to a minimum, but real gains at the pump with the 8 speed. Maybe get a base model 2500 likely cheaper then a loaded 1500? just sayn
I have no use for an HD truck. I don’t tow or haul more than groceries and luggage when traveling. This my 3rd and probably last Ram 1500. Refuse to even entertain the thought of owning the Hurricane I-6. Next truck will likely be a GMC.