No cruise control because of steering wheel misaligned??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
So a few weeks ago I was on the freeway about to get off the off-ramp, and the "traction control" light comes on... ok. I got home, parked it, and didn't notice anything until the next day when I was back on the freeway again heading to my local auto shop that services our family vehicles. He ran a code and said "the steering wheel sensor is showing mis-calibration and it's not centered correctly on your steering wheel".. Apparently this disables the Cruise option.

So I took it down to the shop (Big O Tires) that had aligned it previously about 1 month ago, and told the technician the scenario, they aligned it, and cleared the code and now I have cruise control again again. Just odd that the steering wheel would do that for no apparent reason?? Is there a fault in the sensor or perhaps I have a bigger problem lurking?

thanks.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
When I installed my lift, and before I got it aligned, I had similar CEL's. I initially thought I screwed up a sensor or something while beating around under the truck bolting on the components, but all was cleared after the alignment.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The steering angle is used by the vehicle stability control, that also monitors all four wheel speed sensors. Seems weird that it would effect the cruise control but it probably effects the vehicle speed calculation. The stability control can predict what each wheel speed should be even while turning.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
So which has more computing capabilities… my 2021 EGO1500 or the ISS in orbit?