No Fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNTEE1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2006 Ram 1500 4.7l. So my son was trying to help out his Dad and replaced the air filter on the truck - accomplished. Then said he thought he'd clean the throttle body & proceeded to heavily spraying throttle body with it still on truck and calls me to tell me it won't start now & he said it sounds like it's flooded & won't Starr. Advise on what to do. I've had a co-worker tell me he probably soaked the spark plugs with the throttle body cleaner spray and I should just let it sit overnight to dry out & try it in the morning and it should fire right up. But now I've had another co-worker tell me I should go buy a new throttle position sensor and install as he said my son probably killed the existing TPS with the throttle body cleaner spray. Any ideas on what I should do here or where to start?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2006 Ram 1500 4.7l. So my son was trying to help out his Dad and replaced the air filter on the truck - accomplished. Then said he thought he'd clean the throttle body & proceeded to heavily spraying throttle body with it still on truck and calls me to tell me it won't start now & he said it sounds like it's flooded & won't Starr. Advise on what to do. I've had a co-worker tell me he probably soaked the spark plugs with the throttle body cleaner spray and I should just let it sit overnight to dry out & try it in the morning and it should fire right up. But now I've had another co-worker tell me I should go buy a new throttle position sensor and install as he said my son probably killed the existing TPS with the throttle body cleaner spray. Any ideas on what I should do here or where to start?

AFAIK, any of the better quality TB cleaners won't harm the sensor, however, the standard operating procedure (SOP) for cleaning TBs is to first disconnect the battery to protect the electronics.

You might try carefully opening the butterfly valve and wedge it open with something wooden. Let it sit for a couple of hours to dry out and then see if it will start. :cool:

Did your son open the butterfly valve and spray inside the TB?

Most TB cleaners should be highly evaporative and should dry out quickly.

And welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
T

TNTEE1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AFAIK, any of the better quality TB cleaners won't harm the sensor, however, the standard operating procedure (SOP) for cleaning TBs is to first disconnect the battery to protect the electronics.

You might try carefully opening the butterfly valve and wedge it open with something wooden. Let it sit for a couple of hours to dry out and then see if it will start. :cool:

Did your son open the butterfly valve and spray inside the TB?

Most TB cleaners should be highly evaporative and should dry out quickly.

And View attachment 541085 to Ram Forum. :cool:

From what he's told me yes he did open the butterfly and sprayed quite liberally inside the TB??

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So prop the butterfly open for the night then try tomorrow? If it doesn't fire then should I look at TPS?
Petal All the way to the floor so it enters clear flood mode petal must be all the way down or it wont cut the fuel off crank it for a good while and then try to start that should do it. However depending upon how much he put in there ya may just have to pull the plugs.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So prop the butterfly open for the night then try tomorrow? If it doesn't fire then should I look at TPS?

Overnight might be a bit of overkill, I was thinking a couple of hours should be sufficient.

If it still is misbehaving, you could try to clear things out a bit by using the flooded mode start technique as described by jws123.

Just hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and let it crank for 5 or 7 seconds without pressing the brake, release both ignition and pedal then start normally.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Do what jw and Ramd say. Flooded with gas or throttle body cleaner is the same thing. Once it clears it will start fine. Only thing to add, do not crank for longer than 20 seconds. Stop cranking but keep gas pedal fully dpressed. Let it cool for a minute, crank another 20 seconds. Do this three times, then release gas pedal, step on brake, should start fine.

Last edited: