What caused this??!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbinfognoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, new member with the first post! 2011 ram Laramie with a 2021 5.7 hemi motor with cam lifters and springs, headers, high flow throttle body, CAI pushing roughly 410 to the wheels. The motor has less than 15,000 miles on it and just broke a rod and destroyed the piston. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? There are marks on the top of the piston but no marks on the valves or the head. The guy that put the motor in and did the work is just as puzzled. My son was driving and heard a loud pop and some smoke and it went dead. It was not underload as he had just turned from a stop sign. When I got there and cranked it it just sounded really rough but idle and did not have any crunching sounds that you would associate with a busted piston and broken rod. I’m at a loss as to what the marks on the top of the piston are and what would cause a motor, factory bottom end with only 15,000 miles to do this. The other three cylinders on that side are fine and the head is fine. Thanks for any insight!

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6402.jpeg
    IMG_6402.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 21

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys, new member with the first post! 2011 ram Laramie with a 2021 5.7 hemi motor with cam lifters and springs, headers, high flow throttle body, CAI pushing roughly 410 to the wheels. The motor has less than 15,000 miles on it and just broke a rod and destroyed the piston. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? There are marks on the top of the piston but no marks on the valves or the head. The guy that put the motor in and did the work is just as puzzled. My son was driving and heard a loud pop and some smoke and it went dead. It was not underload as he had just turned from a stop sign. When I got there and cranked it it just sounded really rough but idle and did not have any crunching sounds that you would associate with a busted piston and broken rod. I’m at a loss as to what the marks on the top of the piston are and what would cause a motor, factory bottom end with only 15,000 miles to do this. The other three cylinders on that side are fine and the head is fine. Thanks for any insight!

Chuck
Are all the valve springs good? The hemi is an interferance engine,and will have a valve hit if the spring breaks,or if the cam falls out of time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get a metallurgy on that. Poor forging?

Interesting your have scrapes all over those tops as if something was rolling around in that chamber. Something dropped off down there?

I had my rav 4 pistons hit the plugs, I think messed up at factory. I don't think this is the issue, it had to be a valve. Looks like it was rolling around as well, maybe 4 strokes and then it got an angle that something had to break, and ironically it was the piston top and not the valve, which sounds crazy, but it is my opinion. I changed my mind on metallurgy. Every single scrape was a stroke and the valve cutting into the piston, if it wasn't a hemi you would likely have one scrape then fail, but because there is more room in a hemi, it took a couple strokes to put the valve into a position where something had to give.

Last edited: