No more chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dad bought a new 58 buick special 4 door ht. Enough chrome on that to do 4 rams today.
The front grill was a work of art.
The Road Master had way less chrome, but it was the price of a Caddy, and looked better then one. It was a great car to take to school, the girls loved it.
Then in 59 everyone went off the deep end . 1957 had way cleaner looks
I added chrome trim to my sport. Can't stand black wheels.
Back in the day , if you had hubcaps and chrome bumpers and a bit of chrome on the grill , you had it made.

I bought a bumper for a truck back a few yrs, chrome was cheaper then plastic, Factory, not aftermarket

Last edited:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And welding on it isn't the best for your lungs.
Drink some milk before welding on it , don’t drink any milk , you’d think you were dying of the flu . Worse case of the flu symptoms you could experience, but you’ll live . :)

I’m sure it doesn’t do your lungs any good , when we did have to weld on galvanized metal , we ground off the galvanizing around the weld site , and used vacuums to suck the fumes , which we did anyway, regardless of what we were welding . All our weld stations had big vacuums right over the welding to suck the fumes .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dad bought a new 58 buick special 4 door ht. Enough chrome on that to do 4 rams today.
The front grill was a work of art.
The Road Master had way less chrome, but it was the price of a Caddy, and looked better then one. It was a great car to take to school, the girls loved it.
Then in 59 everyone went off the deep end . 1957 had way cleaner looks
I added chrome trim to my sport. Can't stand black wheels.
Back in the day , if you had hubcaps and chrome bumpers and a bit of chrome on the grill , you had it made.

I bought a bumper for a truck back a few yrs, chrome was cheaper then plastic, Factory, not aftermarket
I did my drivers test with my dad’s 1958 Buick Roadmaster , we could get our drivers license when we were 15 in Montana . It was one big boat of a car , and yes lots of chrome .

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I did my drivers test with my dad’s 1958 Buick Roadmaster , we could get our drivers license when we were 15 in Montana . It was one big boat of a car , and yes lots of chrome .
I did my drivers test at 15 in my dad's 62 Impala SS 2 door with fender skirts. Wish I had it now!

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wash my vehicles, by driving it to a self serve car wash, that has a high pressure wand & a brush for soaping.
I don't use the soap brush.
The high pressure wand has Soap, Wax, Rinse & move the vehicle out of the way, for the next person.
I get on the Highway to dry it off, 65 MPH dries it quickly
I'm glad I don't have to wash my vehicles that way. I take the time to wipe them down after hand washing - painted, plastic or chrome.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Drink some milk before welding on it , don’t drink any milk , you’d think you were dying of the flu . Worse case of the flu symptoms you could experience, but you’ll live . :)

I’m sure it doesn’t do your lungs any good , when we did have to weld on galvanized metal , we ground off the galvanizing around the weld site , and used vacuums to suck the fumes , which we did anyway, regardless of what we were welding . All our weld stations had big vacuums right over the welding to suck the fumes .
Yeah, I heard about the milk thing years ago. I used to put up a big fan behind me and use the oxy/acetylene torch to burn off the galvanization where I was going to weld.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I wonder how that spray on water based chrome will hold up ?
Looks good and super easy BUT I think we will see more of that spray on chrome !

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I heard about the milk thing years ago. I used to put up a big fan behind me and use the oxy/acetylene torch to burn off the galvanization where I was going to

Whatever works for you , the key is getting that zinc out of the way . If you’ve ever been sick breathing that stuff you’ll know it .

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup , my dad had a 62 Impala also , although a 2 door hardtop, but not the SS .

You guys were a bit more upscale than me. I learned to drive in my Mom’s 1960 Ford Fairlane 4-door. I believe it still may hold the distinction of being the widest production car ever built out of Detroit (81.5”). Our house had 7’ wide garage doors and grooves were worn in the door trimmers from the turned out tail fins since there was only an inch or two clearance on either side. It was a tank. An armored car driver flung a door open as my mom drove past one day and I think she took it off. She said the armored car was damaged more than her Ford. You could probably smuggle 3 or 4 teenagers into the drive-in in the trunk.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No You guys were a bit more upscale than me. I learned to drive in my Mom’s 1960 Ford Fairlane 4-door. I believe it still may hold the distinction of being the widest production car ever built out of Detroit (81.5”). Our house had 7’ wide garage doors and grooves were worn in the door trimmers from the turned out tail fins since there was only an inch or two clearance on either side. It was a tank. An armored car driver flung a door open as my mom drove past one day and I think she took it off. She said the armored car was damaged more than her Ford. You could probably smuggle 3 or 4 teenagers into the drive-in in the trunk.
I didn’t know those fairlanes were that big , can’t say I’ve ridden in one . I do know that 1958 Buick my dad had was a tank . I myself had an old 1949 Oldsmobile when in high school it was a four door , can’t remember if it was a 88 or 98 . It sure seemed like it was a big tank of a car also . It fouled the spark plugs pretty fast , I was constantly cleaning them or putting in new ones to get it started . Never knew for sure when it was going to start , it was a beater , and looking back I am amazed at what it went thru. Everything from revving it up , it was an automatic, and dropping it into drive . Also driving it backwards to about as fast as I could handle it , putting it in neutral, revving it up , and dropping it in drive , got some amazing smoke coming off the tires. How it took it I’ll never know . :oops: Did drop a driveline in the school parking lot , actually my friend did it , had it auto shop welding on some , if I remember the right terminology, dump pipes , so it sounded like a dragster. He did the revving up , and dropping it in drive . The poor u-joint couldn’t take it anymore. :D Fun times in 1965 .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My dad's was a 2 door hardtop also.
Always envied those SS . Had a couple friends in high school that had new cars, one his parents bought him a new 65 Chevelle 396 SS . The other 65 GTO 389 Tripower . But the fasted car in high school was a 55 Chevy , that had a bit of work done to it . Want to say it had a big block in it , but can’t remember which motor . Could get both those new ones , I watched them race . Yup more fun times in 1965-66

Last edited:

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Absolutely loved the 55 and 57 Chevy! Also loved the 70 Chevelle SS and 71 Nova SS (didn't start driving until 76 when I turned 15)! Moved back to the states in 85 and the first car I saw was a Monte Carlo SS. Never got one but I did get a Monte Carlo I fixed up a bit.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely loved the 55 and 57 Chevy! Also loved the 70 Chevelle SS and 71 Nova SS (didn't start driving until 76 when I turned 15)! Moved back to the states in 85 and the first car I saw was a Monte Carlo SS. Never got one but I did get a Monte Carlo I fixed up a bit.
A bit ahead of you . :) Got my drivers license in 1962. . As said with my dad’s 58 Buick . I had a lot of those old cars 55,56 Chev 59 corvette, 56 ford , 51 ford , the 49 olds . 55 dodge , 64 dodge power wagon , it was a 2 door panel truck , with the fold out double rear doors , not many of those . To list a few , not counting all the older trucks I had . The 64 power wagon , and 59 corvette I wished I’d kept. :(

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Different class of ride, one of my first grain trucks was a 59 Dodge 750? 4 ton with the old wide block hemi in it , loose as a goose , but still pulled good, it use to be a commercial truck so scads of miles on it, also had a 58 step side 1/2 ton with a 303 wide block, that I pulled and put in a small hemi form a 50's New Yorker that got bent.
My cousin bought a new 63 Pontiac rag top, Red , They came out with the "wide track"
I think they the widest at that time, but not 100 % sure on that , could be b.s. advertising.

When Mother got her drivers licence ,there was no tests.
I am not sure she would have passed.
I don't remember one, but I do remember taking a motorcycle test, riding around cones in a parking lot and maybe a little straight line & brake , it's been a while , on a 43 Harley ,foot clutch , hand shift. I drove the bike to the city for the test, 60miles. no one said anything, passed OK.