Noticed water in interior rear driver side after a rain. Anyone have a similar issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, seat removal was a pain. I was able to inject enough sealant from inside that it pushed it outside, either way it isn't leaking again from that spot ever again.
The problem with that is that often the rubber flaps are the issue. On mine they weren't sealing and that was why it leaked. Replacing the vents was easy and I was able to do it all from inside.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only water on the seat itself was a few drops along the top back near the head rest
Leaking cab vents don't explain this part but it still wouldn't hurt to replace them.
Have someone use the garden hose on the back of your cab while you sit inside. Water on your headrest tells me it's coming from someplace higher than your cab vents (window frame/seal/third brake light) and running under your seat.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You got that far, you should've just replaced it lol
I agree but if he used a good sealant that really adhered to all the surfaces, he will probably be good. But it looks like regular silicone which I'm not a big fan of in recent years because the stuff they've been selling in the big box stores doesn't seem to want to cure anymore?

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read some reviews that even the new part number didn't stop them from leaking, so I didn't feel the need to waste money on them. I also cleaned all surfaces with rubbing alcohol prior to installing and sealing up. I found the best sealant I could find that stated that it bonded to metal and was flexible (didn't want cracking).

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 3 common causes would be the 3rd brake light, rear sliding window and cab vents. If you have the capability, I'd suggest removing the back seat and get inside while having someone spray the back of the cab with a garden hose to see where it's coming from.
Yes, seems this is the only way to see what the issue is.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leaking cab vents don't explain this part but it still wouldn't hurt to replace them.
Have someone use the garden hose on the back of your cab while you sit inside. Water on your headrest tells me it's coming from someplace higher than your cab vents (window frame/seal/third brake light) and running under your seat.
I agree. Looks like I'll be pulling the rear seats and running some water over the outside of the truck. Hopefully it's obvious where the water is coming in and is something I can fix relatively easily.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, seems this is the only way to see what the issue is.
That's exactly what a good dealership or repair shop would do to diagnose it. I bought my 21 Ram new and at about 1700 miles I noticed water under the back seat. I know I have had a warranty but since I've been a mechanic for 33+ years I decided to diagnose it myself before I brought to the dealer. On a nice Sunday afternoon I took the back seat out along with the trim panel on the back wall so I could see literally everything and I water tested it myself. I found that it was in fact a cab vent pouring water into the cab. I buttoned everything back up as good as new and the next day I scheduled an appointment at the dealer. I took it in and they "diagnosed" it as the rear window frame leaking. Without telling him I already diagnosed it I looked at him and laughed and said no, no it's not the window. I told him it's coming in lower than the window and that I thought it was a cab vent. He was adamant that it was the window. Again I told him no it was but he said they will order the window because that's what the tech said it was. I said sure go for it. They ordered it and put the window in and told me it ready to be picked up. I told him it's going to rain tonight so I'll leave it there and pick it up in the am. He said sure. Next morning I went in and immediately went to my truck to feel under the back seat. Sure enough it was full of water again. I brought the guy out to show him and he told me to keep their loaner for another day and they'll take care of it. He called me a few hours later and said, "yup, you were right, it was a cab vent leaking". I went to pick it up again and told them that I was a mechanic for decades and already diagnosed it before I brought it to them. His jaw hit the floor and asked if I wanted a job lol. So, at 1700 miles I got a new rear sliding window that I didn't need and a new cab vent. Fortunately it's been great since lol

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pulled the rear seats today to identify where the water is coming in. I had my dad over to help and he ran the hose over the rear window first, then the 3rd brake light, and finally over shark fin antenna.

Strange enough I wasn't able to see any water coming into the cab. The ONLY hint of water was seeing the flaps on the cab vents start to appear wet.

I'd already picked up new cab vents so I decided to replace the original vents with the new ones.

I left the rear seats pulled out and going to wait for several rains to see if there is still water coming in and see if I can identify where.

I sort of thought the source of leak would be obvious, but it certainly wasn't even after running the water over various sections.

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with that is that often the rubber flaps are the issue. On mine they weren't sealing and that was why it leaked. Replacing the vents was easy and I was able to do it all from inside.
Ah. mine was the lip seal of the entire assembly itself.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the rear seats today to identify where the water is coming in. I had my dad over to help and he ran the hose over the rear window first, then the 3rd brake light, and finally over shark fin antenna.

Strange enough I wasn't able to see any water coming into the cab. The ONLY hint of water was seeing the flaps on the cab vents start to appear wet.

I'd already picked up new cab vents so I decided to replace the original vents with the new ones.

I left the rear seats pulled out and going to wait for several rains to see if there is still water coming in and see if I can identify where.

I sort of thought the source of leak would be obvious, but it certainly wasn't even after running the water over various sections.

You may want to do the rear seat fold down mod while the seats are out. I believe on the 4th gens only the top tier trim levels have fold down seat backs. Doesn’t give you great access to the rear cab wall but does allow you to use the area for storage of supplies, tool kit, amplifier or pew pew.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I didn't think any 4th gens had fold down rear seat backs. :shrug:

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The vents are less than $10ea at the dealer (at least they were). They are also a new updated design due to the leaking issue of the original as you have. If your head liner is not getting wet do not disturb the third brake light unless you have a replacement seal for it on hand. The vents can be changed by slipping them between the cab and bed. Some have done them from the inside by twisting them, but I don't know how that's even possible. I found it a lot easier from the outside as designed.
I did mine from inside the cab. Just have to twist them at the right angle to get them out and same thing for the new ones.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here is the seal I used on the CHMSL.

View attachment 550212

It's listed on Amazon as marine weather seal. Works amazing. If you are leaking from 3rd brake light, you probably will have some discoloration on headliner in rear corners. After issue is fixed, remove headliner stains with hydrogen peroxide.

From what I recall this is the same stuff I used on my 2014 3rd brake light and it's held for 10+ years. I never got any leakage inside the cab but the bulb fried and I got notified on my DIC (which was pretty cool I thought). I opened up the lens to replace the bulb and it was full of water.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I have a 2014 quad cab and water is getting into the interior in the rear seat area on the driver side.

I keep a towel in the small compartment under the rear seat and a week or so ago I noticed it was damp. We had a rain storm yesterday where I live so I decided to look around the back seat of the truck and sure enough there was traces of water in a few places around the rear seat. The only water on the seat itself was a few drops along the top back near the head rest but there was water around the seat frame when I folded the seat up and again there was water in the small cubby area under the seat.

It would be great if I could fold the seat down to see behind the seat back, but I don't think these seats fold that way.

Anyone hear of the this problem before?
It's the rear break light the seal is bad , probably have water behind the rear seat also ,

RamRedEye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 quad cab and water is getting into the interior in the rear seat area on the driver side.

I keep a towel in the small compartment under the rear seat and a week or so ago I noticed it was damp. We had a rain storm yesterday where I live so I decided to look around the back seat of the truck and sure enough there was traces of water in a few places around the rear seat. The only water on the seat itself was a few drops along the top back near the head rest but there was water around the seat frame when I folded the seat up and again there was water in the small cubby area under the seat.

It would be great if I could fold the seat down to see behind the seat back, but I don't think these seats fold that way.

I also had the same problem with my 2014 Ram 1500. It ended up being the can brake light (3rd brake light). It was from driving it through the car wash. To roller brushes wear/damage the seal.

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Start with the brake light.

When you take it off youll probably see water marks in the dirt inside and it runs along the top of the cab to both rear corners. The thin foam gasket gets filled with dirt and really compressed.

As StateofMind said, grab that weather stripping. I got it from Home Depot. Take the light fixture inside the house and scrape off the old foam gasket and clean up the housing with alcohol to remove and glue.

Press the new gasket on starting in one bottom corner and make a inverted "U" over the top where the old gasket sat. Then cut another small piece to finish off the bottom. Doing it this way leaves the joints in the gasket along the bottom.

When u reinstall it you may have to really push on the light fixture because that gasket is thicker than the old one and the screws barely are able to grab.

Over 6 years now and no more wet headliner and dry under my rear seats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_122932_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_122932_Photos.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240909_122944_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_122944_Photos.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240909_123031_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_123031_Photos.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240909_123012_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_123012_Photos.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 13

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

It's the rear break light the seal is bad , probably have water behind the rear seat also ,
On my Ram, water was getting in 3rd brake light seal, so much that it stained my headliner but I did eventually get the water stains removed. I removed 3rd brake light and silicone caulked it and then reinstalled. It fixed my water issue in the back seat area

sburford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I have a 2020 Ram eco diesel the developed similar problem. Stalantis extended the warranty on the third brake light in the back window for 10 years. The dealer ended up replacing both to get the leak stopped. Meanwhile, developed mold in the rear carpet. Still have to salsa replace that under warranty.

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that issue and the brake light housing gasket was my culprit