OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cereb6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What type of OBD II should I buy that is affordable and easy to use? Does this also read codes or do I need a specific code reader?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honestly Alfa obd and the obd link Mx is the best bet. It’s not the cheapest route but if you ever need to read more than just P codes you’ll be able to do that.

Theres lots of cheaper options but you’ll likely be limited to just codes that will trigger a CEL light. You won’t be able to retrieve ABS, communication or body codes.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the very least get one that that reads CEL's, ABS, & SRS codes. Those will run you somewhere in mid $100 range give or take. But they are worth it.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
OBD Link MX+; works with iOS and Android devices.

If you decide to get AlfaOBD for diagnostics/mods be advised it only works with Android devices...but if you don’t have one the Android ‘burn phones’ are cheap and you don’t have to activate it on a cellular network for AlfaOBD mods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have a suggestion for a code reader that will work on 5th gen (DT) Rams? I purchased one a few weeks ago to check out a friends car and later found it would only go to 2018 for Rams. I called the company and they said the latest software update was not available.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 063583 miles.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have a suggestion for a code reader that will work on 5th gen (DT) Rams? I purchased one a few weeks ago to check out a friends car and later found it would only go to 2018 for Rams. I called the company and they said the latest software update was not available.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 063583 miles.
I had that problem with my Ram. It read all the generic TC's but it wouldn't read some other info. I was told at the time the truck was to new and the factory had not released the software. It may take a year or two. I haven't tried it recently. They may have an expensive paid software package available to professionals but not to us. I should try to update mine tomorrow and give it another shot.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8

Regards,
Dusty
I think you need one if these adapters

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the code reader I have. For something like this you don't need an adapter. It will read DTC's but it won't read abs or srs codes in detail until Ram releases the program. They keep it to themselves for the first couple of years because of the warranty.

20220107_192611.jpg

To just read you don't need an adaptor. To program you do, that's why you need one for the AlphaOBD. It does much more than just read codes.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just purchased a BLUE DRIVER, an OBDII dongle if you like that transmits to your smart phone. It works with Android and I believe Apple, you can look it up.
It is NOT bi-directional, that is it cannot send commands to systems to turn them on or off such as a PCV. What it does do incredibly well is to read just about any code, tranny, ABS, airbags, fuel system, TPM's, electrical systems including even your mirror puddle lamps and heaters, your HVAC system, pretty much you name it and it clears codes. Does live data and gives you top ten suggested repairs as submitted by the user database. This thing is miles ahead of my old code readers and is inexpensive, like $100 U.S., $125 Canadian plus or minus. I highly recommend and NO I am not affiliated with them in any way except that it is a Canadian company and I am a Canadian, that's it! When I first connected it and hit "read codes" it said I needed to update the sensor. Very simple, have truck ON, hit update sensor under the more menu if I recall. Let it run, only takes a few minutes then it scanned every system. I am very impressed. There may be better units out there but this is very good.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
After consulting with my son, I bought the Launch X431. We have a number of different vehicle brands and can't afford OEM software for each. We'll get what we get from it. It's bi-directional and pretty easy to use. I like using the dedicated screen because I think a phone screen is too small for graphs, etc.

We wanted bi-directional for whatever diagnostics will work, it seemed Autel and Launch were the top two recommended reviews. Most of these are made in China anyway, so go with best features for the price. The price jumps when you go to bi-directional capability.