Oil change help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I had a 2001 Saturn SL that had 270k on it when I got rid of it. Great little car.

@Gr8bawana

Another vote for no additives. I have run many vehicles over 250,000 miles and never once used additives. A great many never even had synthetic as back in the day regular dyno oil was what we all used. I have never had a major engine repair or one that burned oil and I have owned a great many vehicles.

My wife's Jeep with the 5.7 hemi is the first one I use additive in, being Lubeguard Bio-Tech. I do that because the Hemi is essentially defective in design on the valve train. With a properly designed motor, regular oil changes with quality oil has always done the trick.

Last edited:

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it must of been just plan luck that I saw many semis that saw 400,000+ miles ( including the one I drove) using plain old 15w40 Delo 400, all without any problems and this was back in the mid 1980's that saw 10K some times a bit longer OCI's?
Nope I just a firm believer of Lucas is all each of my semis when I was driving had 1.25 million miles on the motors (600 Cummins) when I traded them off for my next new truck. Always used Lucas oil treatment in them. And still do on my personal vehicles. To each there own is what I say.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Do you use any oil supplements like Lucas oil additive That would probably take your tick away because it coats the internals of the engine for cold starts. Just my point of view. I use full Synethic 5w40 Rotella in mine.
I do not know about oil additives for a diesel, but fuel additives are really needed. The injectors clog very badly in a diesel because the US does not usually put the cleaners in diesel fuel that Europe does for their diesel fuels. If you have Top tier Diesel near you, USE IT! There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the impact of soot on the injectors.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yup YouTube where nobody make $h1t up just to get views. :rolleyes:
How do you explain the million and millions of diesels out there in which the owners do nothing except put fuel in? Do we see thousands of dead diesel on the roadside because they didn't use fuel additives? No you don't.

J Gerard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just my engineer 2 cents about additives. We have all fallen pray to the marketing of engine additives (oil, fuel, etc.)... or at least wanted the claims to be true. Unless specifically called for in the application I would say most if not all are snake oil designed to part you from your money. But I digress ... they won't normally harm anything, and if you feel better about using them ... perfectly OK for your psyche

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
In support of NOT running oil additives, here's a video on it I think is worth the watch. Some of you will realize you're not only wasting money but diluting the added oil pkgs. and taking a gamble on the chemical reactions that may occur with adding the additives.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Okay, so I have 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7. I’ve been changing oil and using Rotella T6 15w-40. Currently have 110,000 miles and been using this oil for the last 80,000 miles. I’ve noticed my engine having the idle tick and sounding rougher when driving. Did some digging and realized I’ve been using the wrong oil this entire time. I’m changing to recommended but have I already done the damage? Will it help fix the deposits on the valve lash I read about? I’m due for next oil change now and want to make sure.
If the problem was with deposits in the roller lifters, then switching to R T6 5-40 wouldn’t help as both 15-40 and 5-40 have almost identical additive packs in the oil. I think it’s another case of Stelantis talking out of the side of their mouth. They clearly screwed up putting 15-40 in the early owners manual and are trying to avoid another ecodiesel debacle for recommending the wrong oil.

Why in the heck would Ram put roller lifters in the best, longest lasting engine ever used in a pickup? It was clearly a Stelantis decision as no other ISB6.7 that Cummins builds for any other application has roller lifters with problems like the Hemi has.

Last edited:

armyvet25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 1969 383ci
They are both 40w oils, the first number is temperature, if T6 damaged your engine, sell it never buy another one again, I'm sorry, but the oil didn't do crap to that motor, T6 is a quality synthetic oil, and truth be told, you could have been running lawn mower oil in that thing and shouldn't have hurt the motor. Have your oil analyzed to see if any metal or whatever present can be detected.