Oil/filter and tire rotation 10,000 miles??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this sound right? I just got my '19 Ram Big Horn in Nov. on Black Friday. I'm currently at 3,208 miles. By Saturday should be around 3,500 miles and will be leaving for Vacation Sunday. 3 hr drive to get there. I went to my local Dodge dealer website to schedule for oil and filter change and tire rotation service before I leave. They have you put in your vehicle vin# to schedule service. It states that I dont need a oil and tire rotation till 10,000 miles? Is that the normal now to go that long on these new trucks?

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel or gas engine? Oil change intervals are almost as much of a hot topic as oil brands themselves. I'm still waiting for my ordered 3500 cab and chassis with 6.4 so I cant speak to what the interval is for it, but if the manual and dealer say 10k, I'll be doing it much sooner for my piece of mind. It was taught to me at an early age from gear heads/racers to change oil and filters often (3-3500K). I understand oil(s) have come a long way since I was 16, but the lesson has served me well as I have driven the vast majority of my cars and trucks well past 200k with no engine failures (unless you count the 3 Chevy small blocks I toasted by 19, stayed clear of that brand since ;)) Another thing passed along to me was to do the first few oil changes much sooner on a new engine. 500- 1k first change, 1-2k second and 3k after that. I'm sure theres scientific proof out there to dispel what was taught to me, but it has served me well and everyone I know who's done the same

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer and manufacturer state 10000 miles. Most on here do it around 3-6k miles. I myself go between 3-6k depending on my schedule. Type of oil is a whole nother topic too.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Necessary? Probably not. That said many of us who are particular about maintenance will change the break in oil early.

Tires vary in their need for rotation. Highway tread generally needs less, aggressive tread is better off with more frequent rotation in my experience. I’d defer to your tire warranty requirements or the owners manual schedule in order to maintain the tire warranty in this case.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Does this sound right? I just got my '19 Ram Big Horn in Nov. on Black Friday. I'm currently at 3,208 miles. By Saturday should be around 3,500 miles and will be leaving for Vacation Sunday. 3 hr drive to get there. I went to my local Dodge dealer website to schedule for oil and filter change and tire rotation service before I leave. They have you put in your vehicle vin# to schedule service. It states that I dont need a oil and tire rotation till 10,000 miles? Is that the normal now to go that long on these new trucks?

I took mine in at 3,500 as well. The service rep told me I could wait until 5,000. I, like you, was headed out on a trip that would put me over 5,000 by the time I returned so I had it done anyway. However, the owner’s manual (page 487) states you should just go by the oil life indicator but DO NOT EXCEED 10,000 miles. My oil life indicator was at 48% when I had mine changed. It’s old school thinking to watch the miles for your oil changes. You should be watching the oil life instead because, it accounts for idle time as well as a myriad of other factors. Again, per the owner’s manual; Depending on how you use your truck you may need to change oil as early as 3,000 or not until 10,000.

OP
OP
J

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel or gas engine? Oil change intervals are almost as much of a hot topic as oil brands themselves. I'm still waiting for my ordered 3500 cab and chassis with 6.4 so I cant speak to what the interval is for it, but if the manual and dealer say 10k, I'll be doing it much sooner for my piece of mind. It was taught to me at an early age from gear heads/racers to change oil and filters often (3-3500K). I understand oil(s) have come a long way since I was 16, but the lesson has served me well as I have driven the vast majority of my cars and trucks well past 200k with no engine failures (unless you count the 3 Chevy small blocks I toasted by 19, stayed clear of that brand since ;)) Another thing passed along to me was to do the first few oil changes much sooner on a new engine. 500- 1k first change, 1-2k second and 3k after that. I'm sure theres scientific proof out there to dispel what was taught to me, but it has served me well and everyone I know who's done the same

It's a 1500 and gas

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I d do oil change to be safe and not go to dealer use royal purple filter maybe start amsoil I did mine join them its sent to ur door then spend 30.00 local good shop to do it !

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Yeah I'm in the 5k mile club when it comes to oil changes. To that end, there is no way I'd ever do 10k miles on any engine regardless type of engine be it gas or diesel. Nor would the type of oil make me extend that interval.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will wait for my oil life monitor to tell when the oil change is due. Modern oils go longer and modern engines run cleaner.

Well, it’s your truck. But you might wanna read a little bit around here about trusting that oil life meter. But for whatever it’s worth, unless I was using a top synthetic, like Amsoil Signature series, or that Redline oil, I wouldn’t run that long on oil changes. The cam and lifter issues is real so i wouldn’t push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I have 1600 miles on my Warlock. I plan to change oil every 5k miles. First change will be at the dealer. In my last truck I changed the oil every 5k - 6k miles and the tranny every 35k miles. Had the truck for 11.5 years with 241k miles. Never had an issue. Hoping to keep the Warlock for just as long.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will wait for my oil life monitor to tell when the oil change is due. Modern oils go longer and modern engines run cleaner.
And I always have my tires rotated when I have my oil changed but I don't have any of this done at the dealer just a local tire shop

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock

Not trying to be rude here, but tell that to all the 5.7 Hemi guys with lifter noise.

Likewise, the GM 5.3 and 6.2 have issue with long oil interval changes as well.

It doesn't seem to be brand specific when it comes to these oil failures and giving the cheap price of oil compared to engine repair or warranty wait times I'll just stick to 5k changes.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OEM long oil change recommendation is due to one thing and one thing only - the "cost of ownership" metric that KBB, edmonds, consumer reports, etc publish.

It isn't meant for long life or long time ownership, it is meant for 5 years or less of ownership. sooooo, if you fall into this group follow the oil change monitor schedule.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I have went by the oil life monitor on my last 3 vehicles, starting with a 2011 f150. 7000 km is roughly where the 10% life left was, that was my change point. Zero issues with that truck. No issues with me 17 jeep renegade trailhawk, 10000 km interval.
This 19 ram classic 3.6L, just over 12000 km I was at 5% left, surprised the hell out of me when I pulled the plug. The oil still looked almost new, not very dark at all. Since that change, I have been checking my oil on a white rag so I can see the color, I have over 12000km on this Mobil 1 oil and again, its still rather clean. Very impressed with the pentastar, works great, plenty of power for just a V6, and it's one clean running engine obviously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Reaction score
I have went by the oil life monitor on my last 3 vehicles, starting with a 2011 f150. 7000 km is roughly where the 10% life left was, that was my change point. Zero issues with that truck. No issues with me 17 jeep renegade trailhawk, 10000 km interval.
This 19 ram classic 3.6L, just over 12000 km I was at 5% left, surprised the hell out of me when I pulled the plug. The oil still looked almost new, not very dark at all. Since that change, I have been checking my oil on a white rag so I can see the color, I have over 12000km on this Mobil 1 oil and again, its still rather clean. Very impressed with the pentastar, works great, plenty of power for just a V6, and it's one clean running engine obviously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
7000 km is 4350 miles so that's pretty good IMHO. 12K km is roughly 7500 which might be OK for the Pentastar, and is probably average for most cars but that's probably too long for the average Hemi with most of the OTC "synthetics" out there. I've got QSUD 5W30 in my RAM currently and its pretty smooth considering how cheap it is but I won't run it longer than 5K miles. If I was going to go 10K plus miles(16K km) it would be Redline all the way as it is the only true 100% synthetic out there. Several members on here have gone 11 and 12K miles and still had some life left in the oil according to an oil analysis they had done.

Personally I go 7K miles on tire rotation and haven't had any unusual wear issues in 35 years of owning cars of course thats street tires. I would seriously consider rotating any type of AT tires sooner if it was me.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I monitor the oil change gauge but I usually do it every 8k ish miles to be safe. 10k is definitely a normal manufacturer recommendation with full synthetic but the question is if you trust that. I personally think 5k is too short but to each their own.

Last edited: