Oil filter dumb and dumber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Power driver makes that an easy job. No getting around not being to touch the thing with a wrench. I though it was going to have to drill holes in it and screw in some screws to lever it off with a screwdriver
Hello - Can you please explain what a power driver is? I am not familiar with the term. Thanks

Spanky1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
‘22 4x4. Why… just why… is the oil filter executed the way it is? You can’t even get a wrench on it from any angle. I’ve read on here the factory tightens it a lot… but I think it’s normal, it’s just impossible to get any purchase on it both taking it off and putting it on. And let’s not go in to how the anti sway bar splits the oil stream out of the pan such that no catch pan could contain both streams. It’s obvious all the effort went in to the interior on this truck. Which ok with me because I spend more time in there than changing oil but holy smokes Chrysler or whoever you are now. That’s embarrassing maintenance design. Smart way to drive customers to your dealers, it’s going to work on me at least. I bet those techs hate you!

Spanky1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Buy a Fumoto oil drain. You can get them straight or a 90. Slip on the hose that comes with it and put the other end in a pan or bucket, remove the safety clip and just flip the lever. You won't spill a single drop while draining the oil.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Buy a Fumoto oil drain. You can get them straight or a 90. Slip on the hose that comes with it and put the other end in a pan or bucket, remove the safety clip and just flip the lever. You won't spill a single drop while draining the oil.
I went the ValvoMax route for the drain valve.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep in mind that the 5.7 was probably designed with the intention of a tech. standing underneath the vehicle while on a lift. There may also have been competing design considerations since this engine was also used in cars.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78455 miles

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Keep in mind that the 5.7 was probably designed with the intention of a tech. standing underneath the vehicle while on a lift. There may also have been competing design considerations since this engine was also used in cars.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78455 miles

I've never had a problem accessing/taking off the filter.

I think the problem is the 'girly' hand trying to take it off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I've never had a problem accessing/taking off the filter.

I think the problem is the 'girly' hand trying to take it off.
From what I've read, it's not as bad on the HD's with the 6.4L as it is on the 4x4 1500's with the 5.7L. But I've never had the 6.4L so I'm not speaking from experience.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Have no place for ramp in garage. I am able to change the filter and drain while on ground, but it is a mission of greek contortions, LOL.
The ramp is just a block of wood, a wedge 18 inches long, 6 inches wide and 6 inches high. It moves.

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went the ValvoMax route for the drain valve.
Do you remember the thread size of the Valvomax you used. Amazon has a listing for the Valvomax but you need the drain plug thread size and pitch.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Do you remember the thread size of the Valvomax you used. Amazon has a listing for the Valvomax but you need the drain plug thread size and pitch.
M14x1.50

Jughead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would like to personally beat the engineer (with a baseball bat) that designed the location of the oil filter, and the oil drain plug on the 5.7 Hemi.

I have found that I can reach the oil filter from underneath with a large pair of oil filter pliers. I can grab the filter with the pliers and give it a turn or two before I can twist it loose with my hand. It still makes a frigging mess, and it takes me 10 minutes to wipe everything down on the truck. When I put the new filter on, I only put it on hand tight...I never use the pliers to tighten it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would like to personally beat the engineer (with a baseball bat) that designed the location of the oil filter, and the oil drain plug on the 5.7 Hemi.

I have found that I can reach the oil filter from underneath with a large pair of oil filter pliers. I can grab the filter with the pliers and give it a turn or two before I can twist it loose with my hand. It still makes a frigging mess, and it takes me 10 minutes to wipe everything down on the truck. When I put the new filter on, I only put it on hand tight...I never use the pliers to tighten it.

As eluded to in this thread already; the 5.7 hemi is used in charger, challenger, 300c, durango, grand cherokee, grand wagoneer, 1500, and 2500. May have missed one or two places its been. I'd like to meet the engineer that can design one engine used in all those places across multiple generations of cars/trucks such that the oil filter is perfectly reachable in each and every case.

In other words, the 5.7 was designed long before the 5th gen 1500, and sometimes you just have no choice but to work within the constraints you've been given; the ram engineers can't just leave a wide open spot for the filter without affecting the front end in one way or another.

Yeah it sucks, just buy a relocation kit and be done with it. Bonus points for being able to run bigger and better filters.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As eluded to in this thread already; the 5.7 hemi is used in charger, challenger, 300c, durango, grand cherokee, grand wagoneer, 1500, and 2500. May have missed one or two places its been. I'd like to meet the engineer that can design one engine used in all those places across multiple generations of cars/trucks such that the oil filter is perfectly reachable in each and every case.

In other words, the 5.7 was designed long before the 5th gen 1500, and sometimes you just have no choice but to work within the constraints you've been given; the ram engineers can't just leave a wide open spot for the filter without affecting the front end in one way or another.

Yeah it sucks, just buy a relocation kit and be done with it. Bonus points for being able to run bigger and better filters.
The filter sits vertical in the 5.7 and 6.4 cars,and is wide open underneath,making it easy to do an oil change and pre-fill the filter on the cars,only the trucks use the angled adapter and have it buried above the cross member/steering rack

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I remember several years back when GM had problems with a batch
of AC Delco filters, I had 2 vehicles oil changed at the dealership and
both dripped on the garage floor. It was the rubber seal, I called the
dealer owner, he said one large dealership fired the tech. thinking it
was not tightened enough. Unfortunate, that was a bad deal.
I just tightened both of mine, leak fixed, they seemed a bit loose.