Overheating issues at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hello,
I’ve got a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7 with about 112k miles. Through the last year I’ve replaced the radiator, coolant reservoir, water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat and had no issues after replacing them with new coolant added each time. Recently I encountered an issue where when the truck sits in a parking lot, the gauge shows that it heats between operating temp and high temp, as well as the ac gets a little warm. However, once driving the temp comes back down to operating temp and the ac cools off. I was instructed by others I know to replace the thermostat again, I found the thermostat to have a faulty seal so I replaced it as well as the thermostat housing. It can maintain operating temp while driving but again while being parked for an extended amount of time the temp has climbed a little over operating temp but will come down if I bring the rpm’s up. I will conduct further testing tomorrow in the hear. I will attach photos of the current temp while parked at night as well as the previous new faulty thermostat. Any help would be appreciated kindly. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 5

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you use MOPAR brand coolant for your system? Mixing or fully using an off brand can cause problems. You may also have a small leak or air in the system, that can be a source of issues. Find online suggestions for purging the system and check all the connections and gaskets. With the age of the vehicle some components are more likely to have pinholes, etc. so a pressure test may be in order. I would start with these simpler, cheaper options. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bustjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Went ahead and bled the system saw small amounts of bubbles come out the bleed valve. Saw some larger ones come out of the radiator hose connected to the reservoir. Doesn’t over heat anywhere near as much but i did catch it creep just past operating temp at idle. Brought the rpm’s up and it climbed back down to operating tempView attachment 549354

Attachments

• IMG_6926.png
    IMG_6926.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum