2014 ram 1500 5.7 overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well 4 of the CEL was cam problem lifters ate up the cam so i went ahead and did all of it in one go, then i started chasing each CEL, so i haven't really had a chance until now to really be able to figure out the issues that are oncoming like the fan being broken, hoping that will be here tomorrow or sunday, but my oil pressure is 18psi at idle at hot temp, drove 30miles CEL hasn't gone away yet will see when i drive another 30miles tomorrow, but my oil pressure will stay around 40ish going about 45mph low rpms at cruising it'll go down to 33 i believe. but the fan doesn't work at all i used my power probe and put 12v directly onto the fan wire and a ground on the ground side so i do know that its broken as all the wires are intact so i am hoping this fixes one issue, and im hoping the oil filter fixes my CEL. tired of working on this truck now lol....

I understand your pain brother and I hope the new fan solves your cooling issues. As for the low oil pressure at idle, have you checked the oil pressure sensor? If you replaced it was it OEM or aftermarket? When you did the cams was there metal debris found? Those shavings block oil flow. Hopefully a good filter will correct the oil pressure issue but if it doesn’t you’re back to finding the cause.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Going with the largest oil filter size, may help you

I think the Mopar MO-899 is a larger filter with the same size rubber gasket

You could even do a remote oil filter
Also, without starting the engine, take out either the plug in the water pump, after you drive around with the A/C fan on.

If it is too much of a hassle to get at that plug, remove the water temperature sensor, that is also on the water pump.
Both of them are at the same height on the water pump

Good Luck :)

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand your pain brother and I hope the new fan solves your cooling issues. As for the low oil pressure at idle, have you checked the oil pressure sensor? If you replaced it was it OEM or aftermarket? When you did the cams was there metal debris found? Those shavings block oil flow. Hopefully a good filter will correct the oil pressure issue but if it doesn’t you’re back to finding the cause.
Unsure if the new oil sensor was oem, orileys only had 1 brand don't remember which it was, replaced that when I did the cam, alot of metal in bottom of oil pan I cleaned that all out and cleaned up the fill neck and screen, thanks for the help

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going with the largest oil filter size, may help you

I think the Mopar MO-899 is a larger filter with the same size rubber gasket

You could even do a remote oil filter
Also, without starting the engine, take out either the plug in the water pump, after you drive around with the A/C fan on.

If it is too much of a hassle to get at that plug, remove the water temperature sensor, that is also on the water pump.
Both of them are at the same height on the water pump

Good Luck :)
You're talking about the water pump plug to bleed the system? Won't it be hot or do you mean loosen it to see if there is air in the system? I do know when I get home I've checked the upper radiator hose a few times and it always feels hard like there's still air in the system,

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NO !!!

When you bleed air using the water pump.

YOU always bleed when the engine is COLD

here is a video that explains it

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unsure if the new oil sensor was oem, orileys only had 1 brand don't remember which it was, replaced that when I did the cam, alot of metal in bottom of oil pan I cleaned that all out and cleaned up the fill neck and screen, thanks for the help

I asked about aftermarket sensor because these trucks are picky with sensors and electronics. Possibly the aftermarket sensor is not reading correctly. Additionally did you clear the VVT solenoid of any metal debris from the worn cam?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also reference the suspected air in the cooling system. If you have an air compressor you may want to invest in a vacuum fill setup. They are like $40 on Amazon. I was convinced I had air in my system after a coolant flush and refill using a burp funnel. My buddy had a vacuum filler and we used that. After watching how effortlessly it worked I’m buying one for future use.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
now i have a p1524 code for oil pressure out of range? saw it hit as low at 16psi but on avg its been 17-19 at idle, saw it climb up to 45 or so on throttle cruising? its a brand new high pressure oil pump, will hit 90 psi WOT
It maybe the gasket for the oil pick up, could be allowing air to be sucked in causing the low pressure at idle.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO !!!

When you bleed air using the water pump.

YOU always bleed when the engine is COLD

here is a video that explains it

Yes I originally bled the system through the Allen wrench bolt, i will double check it tomorrow when it's cold tomorrow through the sensor on the right side.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also reference the suspected air in the cooling system. If you have an air compressor you may want to invest in a vacuum fill setup. They are like $40 on Amazon. I was convinced I had air in my system after a coolant flush and refill using a burp funnel. My buddy had a vacuum filler and we used that. After watching how effortlessly it worked I’m buying one for future use.
I'm trying to look this up I defiantly want this!

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It maybe the gasket for the oil pick up, could be allowing air to be sucked in causing the low pressure at idle.
Gasket? Is this the oring to the oil pump? I put a new o ring when I did the oil pump

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P1254 oil pressure code hasn't came back on after hour drive, coolant stays around 210 while driving, I don't think I have any cooling issues besides my fan not working.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Gasket? Is this the oring to the oil pump? I put a new o ring when I did the oil pump
Yes, just throwing the $0.02 out there. The low pressure at idle can happen when the oil pick-up sucks air.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked about aftermarket sensor because these trucks are picky with sensors and electronics. Possibly the aftermarket sensor is not reading correctly. Additionally did you clear the VVT solenoid of any metal debris from the worn cam?
Yeah I'm not sure I believe I put a car quest sensor in, and I installed a new vvt solenoid when I did my cam