Parking Brake Issues / Improvements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
My MY2015 1500 has a sagging parking brake cable and a warning light that will randomly come on (even with brake physically disengaged).

Story below, but TL;DR - is there any sort of improved solution we can put on the trucks to avoid this in future? I'm not really down for replacing my parking brakes every couple of years - especially when you are "supposed" to remove the axles to do it!

Full story:

So, I brought the truck to the dealer to look at why my warning light randomly comes on. Their diagnosis is that the entire parking brake assemblies need to be replaced as they are completely worn out.

I'm not sure how a truck that has been in service for less than three years and has under 43,000 kilometers on it wears out a parking brake, but as far as FCA is concerned this is all my fault and no warranty as it is a wear item.

I took it to my independent mechanic and he is certain that the issue is simply that the parking brakes need to be adjusted, that they are not worn out (they hold the truck fine), and the reason the warning light comes on is because there is so much slack in the cable and the pedal goes so close to the floor to engage, when you pull the release it flies up with so much force it bounces and partially re-engages a couple of "clicks" down - just above the point of engaging the warning light. If you release the pedal, then pull the release and pull up on the pedal it will travel upward close to another inch, thereby not tripping the sensor.

Is there some sort of upgraded, improved solution so that these things actually adjust themselves, don't stick, don't get slack, etc.? The issue is everywhere on this board and elsewhere when searching online. I cannot believe that 1) FCA has not recognized the issue and 2) there has not been any improvement in the system over the years.

scsbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just took my 2014 1500 in to a RAM dealer and ask about my sagging parking brake cable that I recently noticed. They didn't know but went out to their lot and noticed most if not all of my year did the same thing. I'd still like it fixed; it looks wrong

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a very long cable so it will stretch out. I'm gonna go adjust mine this morning cause it's not engaging the brake like it use to

OP
OP
A

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I just took my 2014 1500 in to a RAM dealer and ask about my sagging parking brake cable that I recently noticed. They didn't know but went out to their lot and noticed most if not all of my year did the same thing. I'd still like it fixed; it looks wrong
Yup, they all do it. It's a bad design.

It's a very long cable so it will stretch out. I'm gonna go adjust mine this morning cause it's not engaging the brake like it use to
Make sure you adjust at the brake shoe adjusters on the rear axle / brakes - not the "Y" link below the driver's door. From what I am told, the "Y" is not intended to take up slack, but to simply connect the cables from the right and left brakes.

clous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My MY2015 1500 has a sagging parking brake cable and a warning light that will randomly come on (even with brake physically disengaged).

Story below, but TL;DR - is there any sort of improved solution we can put on the trucks to avoid this in future? I'm not really down for replacing my parking brakes every couple of years - especially when you are "supposed" to remove the axles to do it!

Full story:

So, I brought the truck to the dealer to look at why my warning light randomly comes on. Their diagnosis is that the entire parking brake assemblies need to be replaced as they are completely worn out.

I'm not sure how a truck that has been in service for less than three years and has under 43,000 kilometers on it wears out a parking brake, but as far as FCA is concerned this is all my fault and no warranty as it is a wear item.

I took it to my independent mechanic and he is certain that the issue is simply that the parking brakes need to be adjusted, that they are not worn out (they hold the truck fine), and the reason the warning light comes on is because there is so much slack in the cable and the pedal goes so close to the floor to engage, when you pull the release it flies up with so much force it bounces and partially re-engages a couple of "clicks" down - just above the point of engaging the warning light. If you release the pedal, then pull the release and pull up on the pedal it will travel upward close to another inch, thereby not tripping the sensor.

Is there some sort of upgraded, improved solution so that these things actually adjust themselves, don't stick, don't get slack, etc.? The issue is everywhere on this board and elsewhere when searching online. I cannot believe that 1) FCA has not recognized the issue and 2) there has not been any improvement in the system over the years.

clous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've recently battled my dealer regarding this same issue. 2015 RAM 1500 30,000 miles. They said the braking plate had to be replaced, that they said the brake plate was rusted solid, which requires axle removal, for both sides at the tune of $1115.00 dollars... 5.00 hrs labor, @ $605.00 dollars, $477.00 dollars in parts. They wouldn't budget, and suggested I call the 'NO Care' customer care and created a case. That came up empty. Then the dealer contacted the Regional Rep, came up empty again. I asked for some relief directly from the dealer, and it came up NADA. I've yet filled out their Customer Survey, but am about to, as I only have a couple of days to do so before it expires.
According to you comments, there's been cases involving this same issue, and I think it's time for Fiat, Chrysler, RAM redesign their E-brake or generate a Safety Recall.

By the way, this is my first Fiat, Chrysler, RAM vehicle I've purchased, and it'll be the last. Sad, that up till now, the local dealer had done a fair job, and the only dealer that I've had the RAM serviced at, and purchased from.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've recently battled my dealer regarding this same issue. 2015 RAM 1500 30,000 miles. They said the braking plate had to be replaced, that they said the brake plate was rusted solid, which requires axle removal, for both sides at the tune of $1115.00 dollars... 5.00 hrs labor, @ $605.00 dollars, $477.00 dollars in parts. They wouldn't budget, and suggested I call the 'NO Care' customer care and created a case. That came up empty. Then the dealer contacted the Regional Rep, came up empty again. I asked for some relief directly from the dealer, and it came up NADA. I've yet filled out their Customer Survey, but am about to, as I only have a couple of days to do so before it expires.
According to you comments, there's been cases involving this same issue, and I think it's time for Fiat, Chrysler, RAM redesign their E-brake or generate a Safety Recall.

By the way, this is my first Fiat, Chrysler, RAM vehicle I've purchased, and it'll be the last. Sad, that up till now, the local dealer had done a fair job, and the only dealer that I've had the RAM serviced at, and purchased from.

Try a local shop.