Parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xavier1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a ram 1500 2016 with 16k miles on it I change the rear pads and rotors. I can't seem to get the parking brake to not grind or make noise. I can't find anything about it everything just brings up brake pads but the shoes are good the lever isn't stuck and I can't adjust them to not grind.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your cable may be well rusted. You could put vise grips on the cable where it exits the protective sheathing and try tapping with a hammer to get it to move back. Try some penetration oil at that sheathing entry point for temporary help but full cable replacement is a must. If you don't regularly use emergency brake it is critical to set it a couple times a week especially if in salt or regular wet conditions.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you have to change the rear pads and rotors with only 16,000 miles on it?

My 2017 with 49,000 miles still has lots of pad left and rotors look great.

When you had the rear rotors off you would be looking at the emergency brake pads and actuators, how rusty were they?

Like mentioned above your cable could be seized up but with mine it was the actuators that push the e-brake pads out. If your actuators are seized or the cable you will be able to see the e-brake cable hanging down below the frame on the drivers side of the truck.