Post Efan upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Also what is your antifreeze to water ratio? To much antifreeze and not enough water can limit the amount of heat that the system can absorb and discard.

Not sure on the Dorman fan, a few have failed.

I have tried the stock mopar V6 and stock efan w/stock shroud and honestly there's not a big difference in the cooling capacity between the 2 IMO.
Stock mopar V6 fan is sitting out in the garage :)
The stock e-fan was upgraded in 13,and is a bit better fan then his 2012 e-fan is. I've never had coolant temp issues with just the stock e-fan /no shroud on my truck with a 180 t-stat,and the honey comb grill inserts,and that includes a few high speed mountain runs in 3rd and 4th gears at 6500 rpm with my foot buried through the floor,on 95F days.Hanging around with the local car guys,means there's been the odd time i've had to prove the truck will keep up

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No trapped air, I burped this more than once. The new thermostat I have is OEM so I think is doing ok.

Tune has fan turning on at 199 high speed.

The fan turns on immediately when the AC is turned on

I had the radiator out a couple of weeks ago and replaced the AC condenser, hoping it was causing issues. Radiator was fresh water flushed.
And that's good you flushed the radiator with water, thats always a good idea when you have it out.

What I was saying is flush the fins out so it will flow air better, not an internal flush. Bugs, dirt, road debris will get stuck in the fins and severely limit it's cooling ability...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also what is your antifreeze to water ratio? To much antifreeze and not enough water can limit the amount of heat that the system can absorb and discard.

Not sure on the Dorman fan, a few have failed.

I have tried the stock mopar V6 and stock efan w/stock shroud and honestly there's not a big difference in the cooling capacity between the 2 IMO.
Stock mopar V6 fan is sitting out in the garage :)

I just buy the premixed Anti-freeze

OP
OP
R

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a temporay test,remove the grill and see what happens
Did that yesterday. Not much different. I think it helped it cool off a bit quicker while driving. Tomorrow, I think i will try running a new 180 degree thermostat. My old one seemed like it might of had problems.

OP
OP
R

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before going back to the stock setup, I think I will get my ac system inspected and make sure my ac compressor isn't causing issues.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So it doesn't overheat unless AC is on?
If the AC system does check out, I would say your new efan is not up to par.

OP
OP
R

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it doesn't overheat unless AC is on?
If the AC system does check out, I would say your new efan is not up to par.
My thoughts as well. Odd thing is with the ac off there is never an issue. With the AC on temps will jump to 220 in about 20 minutes. As soon as I turn off the AC temps will drop to normal in under 10 minutes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My thoughts as well. Odd thing is with the ac off there is never an issue. With the AC on temps will jump to 220 in about 20 minutes. As soon as I turn off the AC temps will drop to normal in under 10 minutes.
Friggin weird, I hope U R able to come upon a solution.

ADDED: All I can tell U is my journey on MY 19 (5th Gen), and the stock 850W EFAN. It was diagnosed bad by my Dealership in Feb 22 and new one ordered (delayed, parts). In Feb 23 I had to take my truck to local dealer (not mine). They checked all and uploaded a bunch of updates to my ECU/BCM. This local dealership also noted Fan Bad, said it was internal on fan ref resistors. SO they tried to replace under Max Care warranty that I bought in 2021. MAXCARE denied and local dealership said well cost U $1,100 to replace. ANYWAY, I was not going there. (I had a work around, put truck on MAXAC before I park, to cool down). SO Fast Fwd to Feb 2024 and I contact my SA at my dealership, HEY , where's my FAN? Well they got a new General Manager and Service Manager and they were able to get MAXCARE to back warranty and I got my EFAN finally replaced, 2 years and 21 days, just a small journey. My dealership even covered my $100 deductible since it took over 2 years to get problem resolved.

DO not know if pics help, but here is fan and part number. FTR, Mine is 2019 5.7L DT truck.

Truck Fan 2019 Ram.jpgTruck Fan part number 2019 Ram.jpg

Basketranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 Rebel
I only run the condenser fan for 3 years now. Pulled a 6K trailer little over 220 miles 90 plus degrees, no issues. I do intend to get a proper e fan but not yet.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the AC off, you're pulling less heat through the radiator, making your radiator more efficient, that's why you're not overheating with the AC off. I'm running the dorman efan with stock thermostat. No overheating issues. It sounds like either your radiator is clogged/blocked not allowing the air to actually get through the fins to cool the coolant or it's an air flow issue due to the fan being defective and not moving enough air. With the grille off a sheet of paper should easily be sucked into the AC condenser and be hard to remove. If not, then you have an issue with airflow.