Potholes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copperram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About a month ago I hit a pothole and my 2013 quit running. Had it towed home so I could have my neighbor fix it. After he put a fuel pump in which didn’t fix the problem, he did diagnostic's. At first it showed no codes. With a different computer it showed fuel pressure sensor low voltage. That lead us to the tipm. I bought one from eBay and it made no difference. I returned it and tried another with the same result. I’m at a loss on this I haven’t worked on anything newer than a mid 90s truck. Anyone have any suggestions I would certainly appreciate it

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hitting a bump and then a problem could be more of a connection problem, maybe a wire got loosened in the jarring motion. Also could have loosened some debris in the fuel system and now a clogged line somewhere. Those would be 2 areas I would start with.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
If throwing parts at it isn't working, maybe diagnosing those parts properly before replacement should be done. Have you talked to a trusted mechanic?

Sounds like you unnecessarily bought a fuel pump and a TIPM, and may possibly be compounding whatever the real issue is...

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Previous replies (#2#3) are great comments. The pothole could've jarred something loose and without properly diagnosing it and simply throwing parts at it will cost you a lot of time and money only to inevitably take it to a shop.

Is it getting spark? Is it getting gas? Does it crank over? Does it do anything when you turn the key?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mid 90's and modern trucks same thing, gas air and spark. Those had fuses, you have relays, both are fuel injected, distr versus coil packs, none your issue my guess. If it isnt throwing a code, start with ignition, but it could be as simple as a ground somewhere. Concentrate on the area that hit the pot hole. Did both tires hit it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pot holes are violent, no joke I was helping a kid change his tire when he blew a rim on a pot hole, when a Chevy truck went through the pot hole, and he blew his rim as well in front of our eyes. It is like a type of accident.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mid 90's and modern trucks same thing, gas air and spark. Those had fuses, you have relays, both are fuel injected, distr versus coil packs, none your issue my guess. If it isnt throwing a code, start with ignition, but it could be as simple as a ground somewhere. Concentrate on the area that hit the pot hole. Did both tires hit it?
I agree with this to a point. Yes they all need gas, air and spark to run but with today's technology there's a lot of different ways they control those elements. A bad ground in an out of the way oddball spot can disable a vehicle. Vehicle manufacturers are making it more and more difficult for the local and backyard mechanics to do anything on them. Moral of the story is, without proper diagnostics it's almost impossible to give the OP any advice. Also, with this being the OP's first post I doubt we'll hear back from him

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like everyone else has stated, please don’t throw parts at it. Check the wiring, fuel lines and possibly the new fuel pump. They can be defective right out of the box especially aftermarket. Doubt it’s anything jarred lose in the fuel tank as they are plastic so no rust. Verify it’s getting fuel and work from there.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do rams have that? I know Ford products do/did but I wasn't aware of ram having them
I thought all brands have this feature, but can’t say for sure.

Looked it up and and found Chrysler does not have this. In a rollover the fuel pump will lock up, but no switch, pump has to be replaced. Imho, replacing fuel pump wasn’t a bad call.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any chance the fuel inertia shutoff switch was triggered?
I was thinking that these have some type of a collision fuel cut off and it may have cut off, I know Ford does that.
PS Just read more and see its' covered.