Power Mirror - Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

I’ve had an issue the last few months where my battery will die after just a few days of sitting in my driveway. Tests were inconclusive, so I replaced the alternator and starter while getting a new battery under warranty. Even then, it was still dying. I left it on a solar trickle charger to get by.

I finally used an amp hound today, and I discovered my power mirrors are drawing 0.16 amps when the ignition is off. I did replace my mirrors a while back after someone busted one of them.

I know I can replace the faulty mirrors, but can I use a jumper like some use for the fuel pump issue? Mine is a 2012 1500.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you let the modules go to sleep? Leave hood open, close and lock your doors. Leave your FOB in the house and come back in an hour and re-measure everything. Amp hound is awesome! I've been using one myself for quite a few years.

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you let the modules go to sleep? Leave hood open, close and lock your doors. Leave your FOB in the house and come back in an hour and re-measure everything. Amp hound is awesome! I've been using one myself for quite a few years.
Yes I did. My BIL told me about amp hound. I rented this one from the auto parts store, but I definitely need to add one to my garage.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes I did. My BIL told me about amp hound. I rented this one from the auto parts store, but I definitely need to add one to my garage.

Cool, next thing I would do is take off your door panels. Unplug the mirrors one at a time from each door module and see if it's still drawing. Need to isolate if it's the module or the mirror itself. You can't "jump" the mirrors, but you can certainly unplug them.

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, next thing I would do is take off your door panels. Unplug the mirrors one at a time from each door module and see if it's still drawing. Need to isolate if it's the module or the mirror itself. You can't "jump" the mirrors, but you can certainly unplug them.
Okay. I unplugged each mirror separately and at the same time. The power is definitely at the module. I don’t remember the mirrors always being hot, unless I never really noticed before.

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I found the issue: the driver door switch

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue appears to be resolved, and it was the door switch. The old switch caused the fuse to pull upwards of 0.40 amps. Once I swapped in the new switch, it read zero amps.