Power steering failure update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
Thought I would share an update on the intermittent power steering failure on my 2013 Ram 1500. Failure only occurred at engine start, never when in motion. I cleaned all the terminals at the battery, load checked battery, and cleaned the two wiring connectors at the steering rack and the big connector near the left front wheel well. I used De-oxit D5 on all connections. Since that cleaning effort I have probably started and driven the truck 30 times without a failure. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 19

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used De-oxit D5 on all connections.
Yes, good compound that's a good conductor for harness type connections, also good for bulb sockets, most use dielectric grease that in my opinion is not a good conductor but an insulator.

rammus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L, ULP, 8 SP AUTO
Interesting fix! I've been dealing with some electrical gremlins in my Ram lately too. Might have to give this a try. Did you notice any corrosion on the connectors when you cleaned them?

OP
OP
M

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
Interesting fix! I've been dealing with some electrical gremlins in my Ram lately too. Might have to give this a try. Did you notice any corrosion on the connectors when you cleaned them?
No corrosion visible but the large multi pin connector showed evidence that it resides in a dirty environment, mainly road grime.

OP
OP
M

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
Well I have driven 2600 miles without a problem. But today when I went to drive out of the garage the power assist failed at motor start. Turned motor off and re-started. Steering was fine, proceeded on 25 mile trip without a problem. I can live with this situation if it doesn’t get worse but I sure would like to find the underlying pro.

OP
OP
M

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
About four weeks ago the power assist steering started failing again, pretty much at every startup. I found a rebuild rack available at Detroit axle for $2032.00 including freight. It arrived in a couple weeks and I installed it myself, took me three days. I made two mistakes, didn't disconnect the battery and didn't secure the steering wheel. Also I learned the hard way that the rack will not clear the coil springs and stabilizer bar without turning the steering gear all the way to the right to clear the left tie rod, then all the way to the left to clear the right tie rod. Doing that made removal of the rack relatively easy. With the rack installed I re-connected the two electrical connectors. The power connector clicked in place nicely. The control connector did not click, an d slid off without any resistance. (See attached picture) Local Autozone had a replacement connector , it was expensive (Dorman 645-943, $56.67) but in stock and I was in a hurry. I soldered the three wires and used marine quality heat shrink. The new connector clicked in place and I was finished! Started the truck, power steering worked fin e with no power steering light. However I was now getting a traction control light.

A friend convinced me to try our local Ram dealer, Clay Maxey Dodge, who had changed ownership about a year ago. They had no issue taking a look at my "old" 2013 truck and got me in the next day for an alignment and steering software check for a total charge of $290.31. The alignment needed very little change and the software showed I needed a new clockspring. Their quote for that replacement was $800.00 for parts and $347.50 for labor. They said that probably something I did while replacing the rack broke the clockspring. I later remembered that recently my left turn signal did not cancel properly and make a noise when activating the lever. Maybe that was the problem, but then why did the traction control light not come on until later? So later that evening I was on the internet lookin g at clocksprings and was shocked at the number available an d the variation in price. I made an offer on Ebay for $100.00 and ordered it, from China. THREE DAYS LATER FEDEX DELIVEFRED IT TO MY DOOR! I have not installed it yet as the truck is driving fine except for the traction control light.

I disassembled the problematic connector and found a very tiny plastic clip was broken. I think that possibly this was my steering problem all along. I also looked at the circuit board in my old rack and can see very little if any sign of corrosion. There was one area that I put under a magnifying glass but I did not see anything that would of caused failure.

Hopefully the new cloclkpring will solve the traction control light and my truck will be good for a number of miles.

Attachments

• Steering connector.jpg
    Steering connector.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6
  • steering board.jpg
    steering board.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 6