Power Windows Inop, Locks and Mirrors fine..**STRANGE!! Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVGuy111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2018 Dodge Ram 1500 “Express”
Hemi 5.7 V8

Power windows, door locks, mirror

One day the back windows stopped working at any location.

In the last few months the driver’s window has become inop.

Door locks and power mirrors operations all normal

The passenger window functions perfectly, from all locations. Auto up/Auto Down, all work fine.

The drivers window has some strange intermittent issue whereas it now only seems to work for a brief time, at the first time I get in the truck in the morning, able to hit the master window down and then up (twice with short window movements maybe 4” each way. Then it stops working completely.

Can hear an electric connection when hitting the window switches up and down.

This has been consistent now for several days in a row.

Have replaced master driver control switch, 3 times (to be sure the replacement wasn't an issue either) each time same problem showing the master switch is not the issue.

I cant find anyone having this kind of issue, any help offered would be appreciated. I love my truck but dont have hundreds and thousands to throw at fixing window or windows, I dont even care if the back dont work, at least the drivers though, lol!!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
but why dont the back work at all, that would be two more motors all going out at once????
It's not the motor(s), it's the wiring. All the individual window controls pass through a single master control switch in the driver's door, then continue as separate wires to each individual door switch. Any or all of them could go bad at the same time.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but why dont the back work at all, that would be two more motors all going out at once????
Wasn't aware that the back windows weren't working - thought I read they were... :) My bad. There is a Driver's Door Module - it's the central point that distributes the signals to the other windows from the driver's side - here's the wiring diagram for the system:

Attachments

• WINDOWS.pdf
    580.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RVGuy111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not the motor(s), it's the wiring. All the individual window controls pass through a single master control switch in the driver's door, then continue as separate wires to each individual door switch. Any or all of them could go bad at the same time.
So your saying to replace the Left side window Module? That controls all the windows before getting to the switch? Is there any way installing a X-Start Auto Start would cause any of this?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Pull the switch panel out of the driver’s and check the wiring connections where they plug into the switch. Had a 03 with the same problems. Contacts were burnt. Was able to clean them up and all worked fine, until they didn’t, and had to repeat the procedure. Cleaned them 3-4 times before finally selling the truck. All windows and locks were working when I sold it in 2017 w/180k on the clock.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your saying to replace the Left side window Module? That controls all the windows before getting to the switch? Is there any way installing a X-Start Auto Start would cause any of this?
If installing that required you to mess with the wiring that runs through the CAN Buss/Star connectors, then yes, that COULD affect the issue your having - there are about a dozen different circuits that run through, and across that CAN Buss. There are three of them - one on each side of the cab under the dash, and one in the center under the dash. If you look at the diagram, a couple of circuits related to the windows run through one of the CAN Buss Star connectors - and the CAN Bus is a bridge from one system to the other, and from one side of the vehicle to the other.. The CAN Buss Stars have a capacitor in them that can go bad/get fried (it provides power leveling and helps keep the data bus signals clear/clean). Since the starter system is involved, there's a good chance it had to be tied into the main system ECU and BCU to work correctly - so the likely hood that something got dorked up is high.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm saying 'check' the driver's door master switch. Clean the contacts, look for loose wiring, etc. Don't know what X-Start is, so can't help with that part.