PSA: Check your cab vents!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Even if you don't think you've got an issue, CHECK YOUR CAB VENTS!

I replaced the vents on my truck this weekend, thinking that perhaps one or two of the little rubber flaps had been damaged and that was the cause of the leak I've been having in heavy rain... Not quite: One had 6 of the 9 flaps missing, the other 7 of 9 (insert Star Trek joke here) plus the outer seal on both was crumbling apart.

Do yourself a favor and get an inspection scope or your cell phone or even an old fashioned inspection mirror in there between the cab and bed and check.

20240720-143009.jpg

20240720-143020.jpg

-K

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Good advice
How much of a pain were they to replace ?
Thanks
I tried doing mine. I couldn’t get the new ones to fit between the bed and cab to get them to drop down in place so I can pop them in. One at a time, I wound up just popping out the old ones from the inside and holding while I put silicone around the seal and popped them back in. Luckily my flaps were all intact and in good shape so it was mainly the seal that was messed up. I still have the new ones and one day may try to tackle again.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tried doing mine. I couldn’t get the new ones to fit between the bed and cab to get them to drop down in place so I can pop them in.

Did you try putting them in from the bottom? Mine would not fit in from the top but I was able to get them in from the bottom up.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good advice
How much of a pain were they to replace ?
Thanks
Actually pretty easy. You need to unbolt the rear seat (4 bolts for the bench, 8 for the split style), I just shifted it forward to avoid having to unbolt the middle seat belt. Then remove the sound deadener material (5 push pins, 3 bolts). The vents just pop out and you can let them fall to the ground. Clean around the opening, then loop a piece of string around the new one and pull it up from underneath, they pop right in from there. I spent more time cleaning up the mess from the leak than I did replacing the vents.

-K

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Did you try putting them in from the bottom? Mine would not fit in from the top but I was able to get them in from the bottom up.

I did not try from bottom up. Will have to give that a try!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you'll tie a piece of fishing line to the top of the vent you can fish it up from the bottom with little issue. Then once you get it in place just cut the line and pull it out.

I swapped both in my last 1500 and it was a breeze.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info. Thanks!! :waytogo:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Actually pretty easy. You need to unbolt the rear seat (4 bolts for the bench, 8 for the split style), I just shifted it forward to avoid having to unbolt the middle seat belt. Then remove the sound deadener material (5 push pins, 3 bolts). The vents just pop out and you can let them fall to the ground. Clean around the opening, then loop a piece of string around the new one and pull it up from underneath, they pop right in from there. I spent more time cleaning up the mess from the leak than I did replacing the vents.

-K
Thank You

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back seat fold down modifications can be found on YouTube. There are two different methods. One method is adding washers under the rear seat brackets to elevate the seat high enough to allow the hook to release from the rear cab wall. The other method is to cut part of the hook off on the back of the seat. Some critics advise against the washer method as they say it adds stress to the seat mounting bolts in case of a collision. I elected to do the hook cutting method and found the procedure to be fairly easy. The hardest part is removing the rear seats as space is tight and the bolts have thread sealer from the factory.

The rear cab vents can be installed from the inside of the cab for those attempting the repair. Turn the new vents so they fit diagonally through the cab cutout. Yes it will rub a bit on the new vent rubber seal but not enough to do any damage.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I found a YouTube video
The guy that does the Rear Seat Mod, has a 3500 series Ram Tradesman, with a full bench seat.

He filmed everything that he had to do, step by step

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IF ....
You happen to lift your DS Ram's bed to access the Fuel Pump.
It would be a good idea to replace the Cab Exhauster Vents

This is one of the best videos that i have seen yet
He just removed the seat to access the vents

I should have thought about the cab exhaust vents last month.
The dealership removed my bed to do a Recall on my Fuel Pump

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, tie a string or wire to the vents while working them. If you drop it down between the bed and cab the air will blue from cussing for a while.

Modding the seats brackets and changing the vents took me a whopping 2 hours and 3 beers.

ric221

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Replaced mine when I changed my rf module.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can pretty easily work them through the holes from the inside of the truck and then pull them back in and snap them in place. Same with removing the old ones.
Exactly, no need to work from the outside. Just have to force them a bit to get them through the hole, but they flex and wont break.