Ram 1500 limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rileymcglynn1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Need some help, ran 1500 2023 etorque. in complete limp mode, have over 10 error codes, no crank or start. Screen display to my right is in a safe mode. This happened last night when I parked the truck. I have no solution to what this could be right now i check the fuses every seemed good. It’s a new truck so I don’t know how something can fail this quick. If somebody has a solution or dealt with this before it would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 21

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery looks low but need details and codes also for possible Internet Guessnosis

ShadyInNature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a similar experience with my '19 Ram 1500 5.7. I parked at the gas station and turned it off, when I came back out it was in complete lockdown. It wouldn't so much as turn over or anything. Turned out to be my PCM had randomly burned out. I had only had the truck for a few months at that point so it definitely was not something that I would have suspected.

OP
OP
R

Rileymcglynn1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Battery looks low but need details and codes also for possible Internet Guessnosis
I’m getting power steering, abs, the breaks are stiff and check engine light and when I try to start the parking brake engages, only noise I hear is the fuel pump engaging

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried boosting properly?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Low voltage can cause funky warning lights. I’d let the dealer load test and replace. Early battery failure isn’t all that uncommon. If by chance the battery checks ok, they can at least diagnose the cause and fix under warranty.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U should seriously be under warranty and be fixed at dealership.

OP everything u relate leans towards electrical weak battery but h got dat friggin E torque U need get truck to decent dealer.

OP
OP
R

Rileymcglynn1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Tried boosting properly?

Low voltage can cause funky warning lights. I’d let the dealer load test and replace. Early battery failure isn’t all that uncommon. If by chance the battery checks ok, they can at least diagnose the cause and fix under warranty.
im pulling 12.1 right now. Is that low enough to cause all these error and throw into limp mode ?

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
im pulling 12.1 right now. Is that low enough to cause all these error and throw into limp mode ?
Well, on my 11 ram hemi, 11.9 wouldn’t crank the engine, just the click. Imho, and your trucks message says 12.1 volts is low voltage and strange things happen.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar experience with my '19 Ram 1500 5.7. I parked at the gas station and turned it off, when I came back out it was in complete lockdown. It wouldn't so much as turn over or anything. Turned out to be my PCM had randomly burned out. I had only had the truck for a few months at that point so it definitely was not something that I would have suspected.
That be extremely rare, not heard of a PCM burning out like that much.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably, but remember that reading is volts, not telling U ref AMPS available, and if it is shorted or a bad cell, U got no chance. BUT with that MGU Unit and the 48V Battery behind the rear seat, I WOULD get that truck into a dealer yesterday. Cause the MGU setup with step down is different than just a regular 12V system. All IMHO.

OP
OP
R

Rileymcglynn1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Probably, but remember that reading is volts, not telling U ref AMPS available, and if it is shorted or a bad cell, U got no chance. BUT with that MGU Unit and the 48V Battery behind the rear seat, I WOULD get that truck into a dealer yesterday. Cause the MGU setup with step down is different than just a regular 12V system. All IMHO.
Yea I’m gonna do that tomorrow, this isn’t the first time i had a problem with this pos, had the etorque motor blow up when it had 31 total miles on the truck and the truck had similar but worse issue

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have them check the 48v battery pack behind rear driver's seat, look for water intrusion behind there, the water shorts everything out, the eTorque is covered for 80,000 warrantee.

ShadyInNature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That be extremely rare, not heard of a PCM burning out like that much.
Possibly. The 2019 “New Ram” was the Gen 1 of a ground up redesign of the entire truck. So it could’ve been a fluke, or not. Apparently I wasn’t the only one that had that problem according to the maintenance manager.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A good battery will read between 12.6 and 13.2,and at 12.1 is techincally dead.Probably won't pass a load test using an old school toaster style load tester.
Buy one of these,and throw it in your toolbox,they're still one of the best battery testers a home guy can have.Far better then the newer digital testers,and at 20 bucks won't break the bank to buy.