Ram 1500 transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone i am looking to change my transmission fluid but i am a little confused i seen videos where some people change the fluid on a level surface but some jack up the rear so the pan is level? which is the correct way and which way did you yall do it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkCUfqi-gE&t=1100s&ab_channel=WeberAuto In this video the car was on a lift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIZkFxmcClY In this video the trans pan was level
Here's the factory ZF instructions that come with a "brand new" truck specific 8 speed,and they definitely want the transmission level,not the truck.You need the rear tires roughly 8/9 inches in the air to level the transmissions pan rail.
The trucks are the only ones with the transmission pointing downhill ,the cars and every other manufacture that uses the ZF 8 speeds have the transmission sitting virtually level in the chassis,and the majority of instructions are wrote for those applications,as the Ram is an oddball in the world of ZF transmissions,with it's transmission pointing downhill.
Start with a cold transmission,as the ideal checking temp is about 100/105,the 122 is the max checking temp,not the ideal checking temp.I usually drain the transmission while it's hot,let it sit overnight ,then do the fill procedure the next morning when the transmission is cold.
If you let it drain overnight,you'll probably get about 5.5 quarts back into it,so buy at least 6
Go with Johns/Boosted Motorsports video,as he's following the instructions that came with my new 8 speed,and is doing it correct. It took me awhile to get the proper instructions across to alot of guys on here and facebook,lol

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Ok thanks for that photo that leads to my next question if my driveway is on a slope and underneath my pan is level there shouldnt be a reason to jack the rear,
i can still drive the truck into second gear then check the fluid at the right temp?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone i am looking to change my transmission fluid but i am a little confused i seen videos where some people change the fluid on a level surface but some jack up the rear so the pan is level? which is the correct way and which way did you yall do it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkCUfqi-gE&t=1100s&ab_channel=WeberAuto In this video the car was on a lift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIZkFxmcClY In this video the trans pan was level
If you want to upgrade to the deeper PPE pan with a replacable filter,these guys in Loydminster AB are the cheapest ones to get the PPE pan from.
This pan fits your 3.6 8speed and holds roughly 2 more quarts of fluid,even though it says eco-diesal.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok thanks for that photo that leads to my next question if my driveway is on a slope and underneath my pan is level there shouldnt be a reason to jack the rear,
i can still drive the truck into second gear then check the fluid at the right temp?
No you can't,the truck needs to be parked with the wheels in the air to do a proper fill procedure,you shift it into 2nd for all of 5 sec,you can't drive it,and get it jacked back up to level the transmission with-out exceeding the max checking temp.Follow the directions specifically,don't try to short cut the procedure.Cheaper to follow the instructions exactly then it is to buy a new transmission cause you were lazy or tried a short cut.
Jack the truck up till the transmission is level,use a small bubble level on the pan rail to get it levelled,and leave it jacked up,till you've gone through the procedure,do not try to drive it,or drop it down off the jackstands till you're done.Find a level spot to do the job,stay away from a driveway with a slope big enough the transmission is actually level on
I don't know how many times i've had to explain this to guys,so i don't have much patience for explaining it again,just follow the damn instructions to a Tee,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In case you missed my edit,here's the place to buy the deeper PPE pan in Canada,yes this pan fits your 3.6 trucks 8 speed.

OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks again will do I already bought the dorman one though I do like a metal one didnt know they made these

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks again will do I already bought the dorman one though I do like a metal one didnt know they made these
The PPE pan is a better pan,as it holds more fluid and helps pull some heat out of the fluid,but it is more money then the dorman pan.
A little tip if your exhaust is close to the fill plug,is to drape some wet rags over the exhaust pipe,helps to keep the ouches to a mininium,lol.
Also break the fill plug loose before you remove the pan.A gorilla on steriods installs the fill plug,so before you drain the transmission,make sure you can get the fill plug out ;)

OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Like this is so weird in this video all they do is put the truck on the lift ???? WHY
Most shops follow the generic instructions ,which are for applications that already have the transmission level in the chassis.Go look at your trucks transmission,see how it points downhill,now go look at the same transmission in a Challenger or Charger,and you'll notice how level the transmission sits in the cars.Then crawl under your truck and observe where the fill plug is,and it'll become pretty obvious why you need to level the trucks transmission to get the same amount of fluid into it,as you'll get into the cars transmission.
You're missing the fact,that the ZF in a Ram is the oddball with the way it sits.The same transmission is used in alot of applications from Rolls Royce to Audi,and the majority of instructions are wrote to cover the majority of applications,and aren't wrote for the Ram application.
It cost me a pile of money to get the proper truck instructions,as they come with the truck specific 8 speeds,lol.I could really care less if you don't want to follow the trucks instructions,but don't be surprised if your 8 speed doesn't act up and start slipping if you don't follow the truck instructions,as you can't get the same amount of fluid back into the transmission as you can on a car.
10 minutes of looking at where the fill plug is located will point out why you can't get the same amount of fluid into a truck transmission as you can a cars transmission,if you don't level the pan.
Go crawl around under your truck and look at where things are,and quit watching video's that don't apply to the trucks proper procedure. :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks once again for your information and taking your time to help someone out , I was just really confused about this on why there is 2 ways of doing it but you made it clear now and of course i am going to be doing the zf way/ the proper way

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I changed my pan and filter for the first time, I have many questions about the level. My mechanic changed out the pan and filter which I purchased from Rock Auto.

I asked him how many quarts he used to fill the pan. He said a bit short of 5 quarts. I asked him if he lifted the rear end about 8 inch and he asked why. I explained how the tranny sits tilted toward the rear and is not level. Therefore, the tranny would not be properly filled.

He used a floor jack and lifted the rear about 8 inches and to his surprise the tranny fluid did not seep out when it reach over 90 degrees. He was able to put another ½ quart of fluid in the pan.

His remarks was, "I never read anything that said to raised the rear about 8 inches to correctly fill the tranny pan.

Follow the instructions that others provide and you will save yourself a ton of worry and money. I did and found out their advice was reliable.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unfortunate that there is no video to show and explain that to technicians and Diyer's !
Johns/Boosted Mororsports video does a decent job of it. The Rams are a total oddball compared to every other manufacture using the same transmission,in the fact it's the only application that points the transmission downhill. With the fill plug located towards the back of the transmission,you can't get the same amount of fluid into it as every other application will,unless you level the transmission,which ZF makes a point by highlighting the very first paragraph in the trucks instructions

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Correct, I just did my pan/filter and fluid today 08/31/2024, after lifting the rear up enough to place a level across two side pan bolts and have the bubble between the line it was 25.5 inches between the floor and the bottom of the axel tube the parts switch went quickly but the filling and start up going through the R N D pause and shifted to 2nd gear finally in N 2000rpm I had enough time left to get more fluid in 5.5 quarts before exceeding the temperature window but after waiting 4 hours I was able to recheck the level and added 8 more Oz to top it off. But yes it can be done.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The process of getting the fluid 'right' on a RAM is the LAST thing mechanics at the majority of shops *want* to do. They expect to do almost everything on a hoist. And if you're doing things day in and day out, it makes sense. When was the last time you ever saw a mechanic at a shop put a vehicle up on jackstands and crawl under it and poke around hot pipes and spinning shafts while it's running. It almost violates safe work practices. Plus it takes more time. Not a wonder they just slap it together on a hoist and send the tk out the door.

Whiskerfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did mine a couple weeks ago. The burns on my arm are almost healed now. I do need to jack it back up and do the level check one more time. It was a 95 degree day and I could not keep the tranny temp in the proper range.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve only heard of one other truck that had a weird trans fill procedure . My uncle had a 79-80 v dub caddy. The rabbit truck . The 4 speed & 5 spd had different fill procedures. And a shop changed his fluid . A manual . Within a week it was burnt up. The trans not clutch. So it makes sense you want the trans level to properly fill.

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting this came up on my feed as I'm getting ready to do my 2020 Ram. How would I know if I need the rear up higher? Just sighting the level of the pan? If I put 8" riser pads on the back of my lift and a flat riser on the front, is that good enough? I've watched countless videos on this subject (even ones made by ZF) and NONE said anything about the tilt of the trans. Thanks for pointing this out. Since I am removing the entire pan, is the tilt only for filling?