Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7 Crank, No start with code Nox exceedance, EGR Valve deactivated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello to all. I'm having an issue on my 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins work truck...Crank, no start and it's driving me NUTS!!! I bought it in May of this year and I drove it for about 1 week and all of a sudden one day it just wouldn't start...The previous owner let it sit for four months and I believe water got into the fuel somehow...I pulled the codes and I'm getting Nox exceedance -EGR Deactivated... batteries are good and all electrical components are good as well, but I can't figure it out....when I crank it over I can smell a pungent smell coming out the tailpipe, opened the fuel/water separater and I can see clear liquid coming out but it smells like good diesel fuel..Do I need to drop the tank and drain it?? I've checked the crankcase filter, air filter, oil and it seems like it has been kept up on maintenance...Any advice would help..Nox Exceedance -EGR Deactivated...Has anyone ran into this code/problem?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you think there is water in the fuel, drain out the separator into a clear container and let it sit for a few minutes. The water will settle out to the bottom.
You could try completely draining both filter/separators then purge the air out of the fuel system by cycling the key on a few times. This should pull from the bottom of the tank, drain off the separator into a clear container to check for water. If water does show that when it would be worth draining the tank.
Don't use a fuel system drier additive for gasoline, they contain alcohol and absorb the water forcing it through the fuel system which is bad for a diesel common rail fuel system. Diesel additives for removing water are a demulsifier which forces moisture out of the fuel.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Did it recently get the 67a recall done?

If you suspect water in the tank, drain it. As said above, it should be apparent in the water separator if there's water in there or not. On highway diesel generally has a slight green tint to it. See if the liquid you got out will burn or not. The water in fuel alarm should go off before water gets past the filter but they are of questionable reliability.

What are the code numbers for the faults you are reading?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Moved to 4th Gen section.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If it's the code that comes up when I googled it, it sounds like either your EGR system isn't working or your DPF and/or DEF systems are screwed up, though it's hard to say which since it won't actually run.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What is the actual code(s) it is throwing. I know you gave a description but it would help to see the actual codes