Blue driver Scan tool from Amazon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Thanks for letting me know Im just looking for a read only scan tool Im not looking to program anything. I had a very cheap code reader at one point. Not sure where I put it. The blue driver looks nice for reading codes and has a description of what it could be. I will also look at the mx
I have a couple of good (meaning, expensive) OBDII scanners. Just for grins I downloaded the Torque Pro app ($5) and bought a cheap bluetooth plugin ($5) on Amazon. Turns out I now have a couple of things that my $250 scanner doesn't have, like real-time reading of transmission temperature.

I tried a Blue Driver once, didn't like it, sent it back. You may have better results. I suggest the $10 solution unless you want to go full-throwdown-SnapOn (~$2500).

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a couple of good (meaning, expensive) OBDII scanners. Just for grins I downloaded the Torque Pro app ($5) and bought a cheap bluetooth plugin ($5) on Amazon. Turns out I now have a couple of things that my $250 scanner doesn't have, like real-time reading of transmission temperature.

I tried a Blue Driver once, didn't like it, sent it back. You may have better results. I suggest the $10 solution unless you want to go full-throwdown-SnapOn (~$2500).
Thank you for your advice

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can buy a used Snap-on scanner off ebay that'll work up to '21, for about $2k. Probably quite a bit less if ya keep yer eyes open. I'm a S/O guy, but there are a lot of great options out there now.

But honestly a Launch for $700 or so gives pretty much the same thing.

If I was a DIY guy with multiple vehicles, I would 'invest' in a decent scan tool, like a good Launch scanners, which will give good info AND allow bi-directional control/brake bleeding, etc.

But if not a heavy DIY guy an MX Plus for $150-ish will give ya the info ya need. Or maybe better yet AlfaOBD if your Ram is your primary vehicle or a guy is heavy into chrysler's. That would be the best tool, for under $100. In general, you'll never regret over-buying and getting more features on a scan tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can buy a used Snap-on scanner off ebay that'll work up to '21, for about $2k. Probably quite a bit less if ya keep yer eyes open. I'm a S/O guy, but there are a lot of great options out there now.

But honestly a Launch for $700 or so gives pretty much the same thing.

If I was a DIY guy with multiple vehicles, I would 'invest' in a decent scan tool, like a good Launch scanners, which will give good info AND allow bi-directional control/brake bleeding, etc.

But if not a heavy DIY guy an MX Plus for $150-ish will give ya the info ya need. Or maybe better yet AlfaOBD if your Ram is your primary vehicle or a guy is heavy into chrysler's. That would be the best tool, for under $100. In general, you'll never regret over-buying and getting more features on a scan tool.
Thank you for your advice

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having worked in the Telecommunications Industry for most of my life before retiring, I would personally avoid using Bluetooth & Android devices while making changes to my truck.

While simple scanning or reading codes, it likely doesn't matter but any reset/restore functions, that would be a hard pass.

I use AlfaOBD with a USB interface on a Windows laptop, everything is very quick and reliable.

I find the Android OS and Samsung or IOS phones are horrendously messed up for any technical operations and would certainly never trust them for making changes to my truck.

As for an OBD interface, a USB is much faster, more reliable, safer, and a fraction of the cost at $50 US or $75 Canadian.

Why complicate the process with using a Bluetooth interface?

YMMV :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having worked in the Telecommunications Industry for most of my life before retiring, I would personally avoid using Bluetooth & Android devices while making changes to my truck.

While simple scanning or reading codes, it likely doesn't matter but any reset/restore functions, that would be a hard pass.

I use AlfaOBD with a USB interface on a Windows laptop, everything is very quick and reliable.

I find the Android OS and Samsung or IOS phones are horrendously messed up for any technical operations and would certainly never trust them for making changes to my truck.

As for an OBD interface, a USB is much faster, more reliable, safer, and a fraction of the cost at $50 US or $75 Canadian.

Why complicate the process with using a Bluetooth interface?

YMMV :cool:

Good point im just looking for a good inexpensive code reader and use to reset codes if I need to.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point im just looking for a good inexpensive code reader and use to reset codes if I need to.

If you're shopping for a scanner/code reader, you may as well review the features of AlfaOBD and see if anything piques your interest. AlfaOBD will read/reset codes and perform various diagnostic functions.

I removed the fog lights (running lights in reality) dropout so that they stay on with the high beams. I live in a rural area and spend most of my time on dark country roads, this is a large improvement.

I enabled the Global windows down and can now drop both front windows remotely with the FOB.

I use this on hot days to vent the truck while I'm crossing a parking lot. I always park as far away from the main doors as possible. :cool:

And you can customize the DRLs. Canadian trucks don't have the enable/disable option on the radio without a few tweaks. Or, switch the light source for DRL from front signals to low/high beams, or fogs.

I also have my wheel size for summers & winters customized to make the speedo accurate.

You might browse the AlfaOBD thread to learn about many more potentially interesting tweaks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're shopping for a scanner/code reader, you may as well review the features of AlfaOBD and see if anything piques your interest. AlfaOBD will read/reset codes and perform various diagnostic functions.

I removed the fog lights (running lights in reality) dropout so that they stay on with the high beams. I live in a rural area and spend most of my time on dark country roads, this is a large improvement.

I enabled the Global windows down and can now drop both front windows with the FOB remote.

I use this on hot days to vent the truck while I'm crossing a parking lot. I always park as far away from the main doors as possible. :cool:

And you can customize the DRLs. Canadian trucks don't have the enable/disable option on the radio without a few tweaks. Or, switch the light source for DRL from front signals to low/high beams, or fogs.

I also have my wheel size for summers & winters customized to make the speedo accurate.

You might browse the AlfaOBD thread to learn about many more potentially interesting tweaks.

I will take a look thanks again

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will take a look thanks again

You're most welcome.

Tweaking cars & trucks is not for everyone but you never know what's available in AlfaOBD if you don't have a peak. :cool:

This is a site I use for PC-related stuff and they seem to like the BlueDriverPro device;

I still have an ancient scanner from Princess Auto that cost me about $30, ages ago.
I now use it to read/reset DTC codes on friend's vehicles.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the end of the day, the software/device with the most online community where ou can learn is real important. Unless it's just a simple passive 'reader' that doesn't have many other capabilities to 'learn'.