Ram 6.4 engine now making a ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windymtnman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 2500, with about 80,000 miles on it. About 6 weeks ago, I noticed that at idle the motor is making a fairly loud ticking sound. The tick , tick, tick is at a pretty fast candence consitent with the idle RPM. Not sure if it goes away or I just can't hear it when the motor is revved up or driving. The truck seems to run fine, and no codes are showing up in an analyzer. Gas mileage and all gauges are normal.
I took it to my mechanic, and he analzed it again, and used a stethascope to listen various places. He doesn't know what's causing it, and he called other certified mechanics that also are clueless, He wondered if the rear cylinder on the passenger side was where it was coming from? We replaced those 2 spark plugs, and it still ticked\
BUT THEN, HE PULLED THE COIL WIRE OFF AND THE TICKING STOPPED. WHEN HE PUT THE COIL WIRE BACK ON, THE TICKING DIDN'T COME BACK.
Does anyone have any ideas what this is and wrong? Seems like the ticking is getting slightly louder. Thanks!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably lifter going bad, or broken exhaust manifold bolt. Fairly common on the hemis.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 2500, with about 80,000 miles on it. About 6 weeks ago, I noticed that at idle the motor is making a fairly loud ticking sound. The tick , tick, tick is at a pretty fast candence consitent with the idle RPM. Not sure if it goes away or I just can't hear it when the motor is revved up or driving. The truck seems to run fine, and no codes are showing up in an analyzer. Gas mileage and all gauges are normal.
I took it to my mechanic, and he analzed it again, and used a stethascope to listen various places. He doesn't know what's causing it, and he called other certified mechanics that also are clueless, He wondered if the rear cylinder on the passenger side was where it was coming from? We replaced those 2 spark plugs, and it still ticked\
BUT THEN, HE PULLED THE COIL WIRE OFF AND THE TICKING STOPPED. WHEN HE PUT THE COIL WIRE BACK ON, THE TICKING DIDN'T COME BACK.
Does anyone have any ideas what this is and wrong? Seems like the ticking is getting slightly louder. Thanks!
If the ticking didn't come back, then what is the problem?

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have hemi tick. Lifters are going bad. Will cause cam lobes to fail also. Fix it now before it gets worse. Cost more money.