RAM Classic theft prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because no one has taken the time to saw through the steering wheel. That's a 2min job with a hacksaw, less with a battery power rotary tool....At least, that's what I heard.
As long as folks dwell on "what-ifs" in the context of casting diligence to the wind because bad guys can cut a steering wheel, bypass a kill switch, or defeat any one of a myriad of anti-theft efforts, the concept of trust in the action OF due diligence is cheapened.

Only the dimmest bulb in the fixture would deign to think or say that there is a pat answer, embracing certainty that their efforts of protecting what's theirs is perfect. This is a huge factor in arming one's self to provide a more certain degree to that concept while in one's castle (home).

NO! My Club isn't certain!! But what IS HIGHLY likely is the demographic of a mouth breather out to steal my car or anyone else's. MOST scumbag thieves are LAZY dogs; otherwise they'd get a legit job. not steal.

Lastly, I got my first Club 30 years ago. A very good friend of mine had his Toyota 4-Runner stolen. After he got it back, he bought a kit where you took the steering wheel off and put a locking plate over the upper column/ steering shaft. His never got stolen again, but, gee whiz! Carrying your steering wheel around? Not practical, IMHO. Soon thereafter, I thought MY Toyota Hilux SR5 had been stolen from the parking lot at Tomball Regional Medical complex's professional building. I was on the phone reporting it's theft when my late wife mentioned that I had parked it in an identical lot around the corner of the building. She was correct. I still remember the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been a Club user for 30 years since. Never had one stolen (knock on wood).

It ain't perfect, but, just like those naysayers who chided me about my OCD use of my Club, I'll take their negativity in stride and continue to protect my vehicle to a practical level of effort. I just have to always keep in mind: I have to be less lazy than thieves.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
As long as folks dwell on "what-ifs" in the context of casting diligence to the wind because bad guys can cut a steering wheel, bypass a kill switch, or defeat any one of a myriad of anti-theft efforts, the concept of trust in the action OF due diligence is cheapened.

Only the dimmest bulb in the fixture would deign to think or say that there is a pat answer, embracing certainty that their efforts of protecting what's theirs is perfect. This is a huge factor in arming one's self to provide a more certain degree to that concept while in one's castle (home).

NO! My Club isn't certain!! But what IS HIGHLY likely is the demographic of a mouth breather out to steal my car or anyone else's. MOST scumbag thieves are LAZY dogs; otherwise they'd get a legit job. not steal.

Lastly, I got my first Club 30 years ago. A very good friend of mine had his Toyota 4-Runner stolen. After he got it back, he bought a kit where you took the steering wheel off and put a locking plate over the upper column/ steering shaft. His never got stolen again, but, gee whiz! Carrying your steering wheel around? Not practical, IMHO. Soon thereafter, I thought MY Toyota Hilux SR5 had been stolen from the parking lot at Tomball Regional Medical complex's professional building. I was on the phone reporting it's theft when my late wife mentioned that I had parked it in an identical lot around the corner of the building. She was correct. I still remember the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been a Club user for 30 years since. Never had one stolen (knock on wood).

It ain't perfect, but, just like those naysayers who chided me about my OCD use of my Club, I'll take their negativity in stride and continue to protect my vehicle to a practical level of effort. I just have to always keep in mind: I have to be less lazy than thieves.
That's a whole lot of words to say that we shouldn't worry about the prophylactic breaking :favorites37:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because no one has taken the time to saw through the steering wheel. That's a 2min job with a hacksaw, less with a battery power rotary tool....At least, that's what I heard.
Yep, as stated in my above post that is exactly what happened to my truck. It did work once but not the second time as they just cut the steering wheel. The truck was parked in basically the same spot both times, and I'm wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person or group each time (it was about a year between they tried to steal it and they actually did). They busted a big car theft ring in the area about a year later. I had at least 3-4 friends that all got their vehicle stolen in a 2-3 year timeframe from the area surrounding the college campus, and they were all stripped and recovered. One friend a nice little S-10 pickup with rims and tires, stereo system, tinted windows...so a nice little sporty truck. It was stolen, stripped, recovered and fixed up. We had an alarm system installed after the first time. Maybe 6 months later the alarm went off in the middle of night and he ran outside and didn't see anybody or notice anything wrong so thought it was just a cat or something jumping on it. The next morning it wouldn't start. Found out the kill switch in the system had been tripped and found some wires cut in the engine bay. Pretty obvious they had tried to steal it and attempted to cut the wires to the alarm system but got the wrong ones.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Club is a bad device or anything. It's definitely a deterrent as some thiefs would bypass it. But as mentioned it's not going to slow down an experienced and properly equipped car thief.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

Hey @Sherman Bird, glad you have found a solution(s) that work for you and have taken steps to keep what is yours. In not adding to the long list of vehicle thefts you've kept your vehicles value off of the insurance company's debt table, which keeps the rates for all of us from going up less fast (whole other discussion certainly - but every theft deterred is a win for all pocket books reading here - especially your neighbors!).

We're all looking at this challenge (which is sad that we do!) from our own perspective. Where you live, number of vehicle thefts in that area, type of vehicle, model of vehicle, age of it, parts needed in market for it (car gets stripped), demand overseas for what it is (yes, they are shipping them out of country for popular ones), and so on. With this we're all going to have a different perspective. I live just outside of an area, where nothing is safe - including people. If you want to drive something newer and popular with the thieves, you'd better step it up or you won't have it for long. Someone up in Idaho, probably not the same risk (picked that state due to never shipped anything there - kill switch harness wise). If you live in California - good luck! You're in one of the bigger hot spots! So what works for one, isn't going to be what the other would use. You can't compare one story to the next, because they simply aren't the same other than both had a vehicle.

For anyone wanting to better protect yourself get the facts from data. This site is a good one, and this particular link talks about options and how to approach by layers as I mentioned. National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) I hope this helps someone and don't hesitate to reach out, would be glad to help!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am about to retire and my income will drop significantly. I am scrutinizing every expense, and cutting back wherever I can. Auto insurance, house insurance, anything, everything.

My goal is to become more self insured across the board because rates continue to soar. I understand nothing will "theft proof" my truck, but make it much more difficult. Low tech might be best.

See #1 and #2.
Mine sits in the garage 98% of the time or I am in it , very little goes on around here, seems like its Fords that go missing , and seems to be the same few AH's doing it, In Canada you just have to put up with them, Sorry about the rant.
Back to locks, way back ,I use to have the club, It was a pita, but should work OK.
I think one of the kids still have it.
On these trucks, I would hid a switch on the brake. simple and it works from what I hear.
Seems like keys don't mean much with new computer controlled trucks. When I was farming , never took keys out of anything.

Where I am , if you don't want insurance , you don't get licence plates, no yahoo's driving with no coverage. BTW ,I have been retired for many yrs, and pay over $1000 insurance each for car and truck. The young new drivers really get it in the neck for insurance, in some provinces, in Canada.

Last edited:

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I find that an NRA sticker and an American flag flying lets people know what they might get into. That, and 2 different security cams watching over my driveway help. As for out and about, good insurance, and good karma is all that is protecting the truck.

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My insurance was of NO help. They raised my rate by $500 just because it's a RAM. I told them my model isn't very high on the theft list being it's Tradesman. I asked to see stats. They said they go by the VIN which indicates it's a RAM. PERIOD.

NashTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am about to retire and my income will drop significantly. I am scrutinizing every expense, and cutting back wherever I can. Auto insurance, house insurance, anything, everything.

My goal is to become more self insured across the board because rates continue to soar. I understand nothing will "theft proof" my truck, but make it much more difficult. Low tech might be best.

See #1 and #2.

A piece of advice not exactly theft related, but if you’re about to retire, after getting SS, pensions or whatever squared away pay a serious face to face visit with your insurance agent. You’ll likely be driving less miles and should get break. We paid off the house and retired 10 years ago. We had bundled home, auto, truck, boat, motorcycle, rv, and vacant property liability insurance. We got a very substantial premium reduction because we are retired. Less daily miles on vehicles, more time present on property was the logic applied. We were worried about annual property premiums and vehicle premiums so they arranged monthly payments for all. Our only annual payment left is property taxes/license tags. We put away money each month in a dedicated savings account to cover that-as Painless as possible. We have been with this agent for 41 years and he wanted to keep our business. There are some other things like I get a small property tax exemption for being an old fart, Your location may have something similar. Retirement is the best job you’ll ever have!

WSeanMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 and newer are on the top 10 list where I am. and that squares with the fact that just about every newer RAM with the push button start seems to have been stolen in my immediate area. they dont seem interested in my key start version. i have cameras all over and ha ent even seen anyone casing it out yet. (I live on a dead end street where that would be fairly obvious)

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
2020 and newer are on the top 10 list where I am. and that squares with the fact that just about every newer RAM with the push button start seems to have been stolen in my immediate area. they dont seem interested in my key start version. i have cameras all over and ha ent even seen anyone casing it out yet. (I live on a dead end street where that would be fairly obvious)
Yea, you're in a hot spot definitely! Don't think that because you have a key start you're safe. They can still get in and duplicate you key start FOB and steal your truck. Not hard tbh. Hope you have some layers to help keep it where you park it. Camera is great, but even with motion notification alerts to your phone they can still get it quickly. Plenty of videos show that unfortunately. I ship to your area all the time!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, you're in a hot spot definitely! Don't think that because you have a key start you're safe. They can still get in and duplicate you key start FOB and steal your truck. Not hard tbh. Hope you have some layers to help keep it where you park it. Camera is great, but even with motion notification alerts to your phone they can still get it quickly. Plenty of videos show that unfortunately. I ship to your area all the time!
I remember a rather interesting fellow back in the early 70's. He was a prominent Doctor here in Houston's prestigious Medical Center. He had a 427 powered Shelby. It was absolutely show-stopping gorgeous. It was Maroon with a white interior and stripes.

Thieves kept stealing the Cobra snake on wheels emblems from his front fenders. Why he didn't garage this exotic car is beyond me! His answer was to get a trained Doberman dog with a chain long enough for the dog to be able to go around the car's exterior. He came in for service several times with that dog in the back seat. He claimed that the emblems were no longer stolen. I think the guy was a kook!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know.... how about a WW2 tactic and populate the neighborhood with paper mache Rams to confuse the enemy!? ;)

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seen some news about a bunch of arrests for a car theft ring in Ontario last couple days, But that just means they spent a day or maybe 2 in the slammer before they are back out on the street with a court date in about 3 ,4 yrs .
The court system in this country is a joke, but we have a clown running the country , so it's understandable.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I seen some news about a bunch of arrests for a car theft ring in Ontario last couple days, But that just means they spent a day or maybe 2 in the slammer before they are back out on the street with a court date in about 3 ,4 yrs .
The court system in this country is a joke, but we have a clown running the country , so it's understandable.
Clown must have family member down here as well. They just release under their own recognizance and have had several committing yet another crime in 24 hours or less.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clown must have family member down here as well. They just release under their own recognizance and have had several committing yet another crime in 24 hours or less.
JW2, we called that back in my other days: Catch and Release.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems the way of the world, Up here all the guns have to be lock up as well in the safe not that you can use them anyway. ( Unless you are a crack head, then the charges are dropped, always)
Prosecutors in this country are appointed political hacks seems like.

2 days ago some lowlife stabbed his 18 yr old girl friend to death and he is charged with manslaughter, WTH.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Put in a cut off switch - to the starter or fuel pump - go to youtube for how to install.
I have a 2019 RAM Classic. How much of a theft target is it, statistically? What aftermarket anti theft systems provide the best performance per dollar spent? Thanks all.