RAM Classic theft prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out JW2's posts, easy , not that I have done it, but that's what I would do, You could also switch off the power to starter as well.

I installed Jeff's 'No splice kill switch harness' more than a year ago and am very happy with the build quality, ease of installation, and my perceived comfort knowing that my truck is better protected than most others.

My money is that the majority of thieves will choose an easier mark. YMMV but for the cost of this harness, I can't see the sense of not having it installed.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I installed Jeff's 'No splice kill switch harness' more than a year ago and am very happy with the build quality, ease of installation, and my perceived comfort knowing that my truck is better protected than most others.

My money is that the majority of thieves will choose an easier mark. YMMV but for the cost of this harness, I can't see the sense of not having it installed.

I did a cut off switch to the back of the key starter module. You can have the fob, but if the switch is on nothing happens. The only thing I don't like is that if I were to hit the switch while driving on the road; the truck shuts off. I have a 2016 Ram 2500.

Does the JW shut off the truck while driving?

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems the way of the world, Up here all the guns have to be lock up as well in the safe not that you can use them anyway. ( Unless you are a crack head, then the charges are dropped, always)
Prosecutors in this country are appointed political hacks seems like.

2 days ago some lowlife stabbed his 18 yr old girl friend to death and he is charged with manslaughter, WTH.
When did Saskatchewan become california?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a cut off switch to the back of the key starter module. You can have the fob, but if the switch is on nothing happens. The only thing I don't like is that if I were to hit the switch while driving on the road; the truck shuts off. I have a 2016 Ram 2500.

Not mine, it only disables the functionality of the start switch.

You will have to ask Jeff if the key style ignition kit behaves differently than the push button ignition type kit.

AFAIK, for my truck, it disrupts the 5 volt supply making the push button start switch irrelevant to the starting or shutdown function.

The start button remains illuminated while the kill switch is closed, and dark while the switch is open.

This was one of the first aspects I tested after installation. The engine remains on while the kill switch is open, you can't shutdown without closing the switch first.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Don't get me started on our dictator.

It's the entire country that can't get new handgun permits.

I completed the gun safety course but didn't get my application in soon enough, no handguns for me.

For those who already have existing permits, when you die, the government steals your handguns.

You can't give them away to your kids or relatives either.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It started about 20 yrs ago, but the last couple years it is really down the crapper, Every province is the same , BC is way closer to Cal, so they have been down way longer, more trees , so way more tree huggers and China has bought the place.

BTW, Ram driver , dealers can still buy them from you, or your estate, but value is gone unless they want to take the trouble to export, worth it for collector handguns, People that have to be in the wilds of the mountains can still buy them , trappers and such.
I retired from my side gig too soon, during covid, and a heart issue, I did not renew my dealer/ g. smith licence, plus I was getting tired, but now I wish I still had it, miss buying / fixing. But we can still use them ( at the ranges) You can't protect you truck though.

Last edited:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

Not mine, it only disables the functionality of the start switch.

You will have to ask Jeff if the key style ignition kit behaves differently than the push button ignition type kit.

AFAIK, for my truck, it disrupts the 5 volt supply making the push button start switch irrelevant to the starting or shutdown function.

The start button remains illuminated while the kill switch is closed, and dark while the switch is open.

This was one of the first aspects I tested after installation. The engine remains on while the kill switch is open, you can't shutdown without closing the switch first.

@Zoe Saldana The kill switch harness I sell does not kill the engine if you switch it off while your vehicle is running. Works just like @RamDiver mentions

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
my 2016 has FOB w/ Remote Start
I think it is also called a Passive Ignition, Fob is inserted into the Ignition.

I disable my Remote Start, when the Ram is Parked where i can't see it, or it is parked in Handicapped Parking, directly in Front of Grocery Stores

When you remote start your engine twice without inserting the FOB into the Ignition, the Remote Start is disabled.
Where i park at the place where i reside, i can't even leave my Parking Spot, without backing up twice & pulling forward twice.
Because my neighbor parks so close to my front bumper, i can't walk between our trucks & there is an Olive Tree, about 20 inches behind the Ram.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My insurance was of NO help. They raised my rate by $500 just because it's a RAM. I told them my model isn't very high on the theft list being it's Tradesman. I asked to see stats. They said they go by the VIN which indicates it's a RAM. PERIOD.

Does your truck have a start button like mine?

I just received a letter from my insurance broker, informing me that because my vehicle was considered a high risk for theft, I have 2 options;

To schedule an appointment with Speedy Glass and pay them $400+tax to install multiple air tags or pay an extra $500/year starting at my next renewal in November.

I called Speedy and was told that he has about 7 insurance companies that are participating in this embezzlement scam and that I'm not permitted to see where the tags are located.

I'd like to know if having a keyed ignition would prevent this increased cost and then if I could complete this modification myself to satisfy the insurance company.

When I bought this truck in January '22, I inquired about discounts for having an alarm, an ignition kill switch, and parking inside in a rural area. I was flatly informed, that there are no discounts available period.

I called my broker last week and have yet to hear from him.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Does your truck have a start button like mine?

I just received a letter from my insurance broker, informing me that because my vehicle was considered a high risk for theft, I have 2 options;

Schedule an appointment with Speedy Glass and pay them $400+tax to install multiple air tags or pay an extra $500/year starting at my next renewal in November.

I called Speedy and was told that he has about 7 insurance companies that are participating in this embezzlement scam and that I'm not permitted to see where the tags are located.

Have to love that an automotive glass replacement chain is now the go-to for insurance companies to supply and install air-tags on vehicles...lol.

Wonder how many envelopes got passed around for that endorsement ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to love that an automotive glass replacement chain is now the go-to for insurance companies to supply and install air-tags on vehicles...lol.

Wonder how many envelopes got passed around for that endorsement ;)

I'll bet that the automotive manufacturers have done nothing to secure this breach in security.

They're who should be picking up the tab on this insurance cost increase and then you would see a fix very swiftly. They F'd up big time and got away with zero cost.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'll bet that the automotive manufacturers have done nothing to secure this breach in security.

They're who should be picking up the tab on this insurance cost increase and then you would see a fix very swiftly. They F'd up big time and got away with zero cost.

No argument here ;)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I knew a guy, that drank like a fish.

He had a 80's Dodge Car, i believe, maybe late 70's, that car had a Key Pad mounted on the Drivers "A" Pillar, it was between the front windshield & the drivers door.
( I thought that it was strange place for a security device )

He told me that if a person were to open the door, without first punching in the Key Code, the Dodge would not start & an Alarm would go off