Remote Start Not Working at all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Anyone that works on their own vehicles, or someone that is just curious to know what their vehicle is equipped with.

Just enter your vehicles VIN, use CAPITAL letters, when using this form

it is much more detailed, than a window sticker & not as confusing

RunMonkeyRun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You definitely have an After Market non Mopar remote start product,
Mopar never made a FOB with remote start and window roll down option

This is what MOPAR Remote Start FOB for 2009 - 2012 looks like
MY 2016 Ram also looks like that

View attachment 549427

I know that there was a FOB Key Dance that you could do with my old 2009, there was no button for it, but the windows would Open, once you did the key dance, they did not close though.
I would sometimes walk outside & it would be raining & my windows had opened, used to irritate me.

mksalem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sometimes aftermarket remote starts will be disabled if the truck has inadvertently been put into valet mode . . . I know mine did that a couple times. Took it out of valet mode and it was fine :)

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes aftermarket remote starts will be disabled if the truck has inadvertently been put into valet mode . . . I know mine did that a couple times. Took it out of valet mode and it was fine :)
I saw a video on valet mode for a ram and it was something along the lines of turning key in ignition twice and then hitting brakes 3 times and the puts it in or out of valet mode. To me, that sounds like doing the chicken dance for something so simple. Is there an easier way to tell if it’s in valet mode?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
this is something I know 0 about, A-W don't have valet's around here, I will have to get my book out and see if it says anything. Google may be faster then the book.

I will have to try the window thing , But I have a different remote, so not really expecting it to work.

GaryWise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
View attachment 549432View attachment 549433Thanks everyone for their replies. I am convinced that 1 of the keys that was given to me by the previous owner is definitely aftermarket based on what everyone has said. I took out my “spare” to compare and it looks like 1 key has a ram logo on the back and the key with the window roll down and remote start does not have the ram logo. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks for helping me out.

Now time to figure out if the truck actually has remote start.
I had a 2018 Laramie Longhorn with air ride. It looks like your remote is not for putting down windows, but to lower the truck air ride system.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 2018 Laramie Longhorn with air ride. It looks like your remote is not for putting down windows, but to lower the truck air ride system.
THIS.

That button is to control the air ride, not to roll down the windows. That has never been an option (that I am aware of) on the Ram.

OP - probably obvious, but have you tried remote starting with the one factory remote?

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thinking out loud here...
Has the truck ever remote started for you?
By the pics you supplied definite after market on the left with no logo.ram fob on the right has no remote button.
My is a 2010 laramie with same fob as you on the right but with lower remote button .
2018 has the same fob 8 years later?
Lastly....a laramie wouldn't come with remote start?isn't laramie a higher end model?
I would think it would come with it.
Try the link another posted to find exactly what you have.
Here's mine(aftermarket shell)it's so worn out,time to swap it out again.
I bought like a 4 pk on ebay(got 2 left).I've had good luck with them other than after about a year the button images wear off...I must have sandpaper hands....lol
Wife's hates it when she uses it,doesn't know the button placement.

Attachments

• 20240828_141320.jpg
    20240828_141320.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As long as you keep the Green Circuit Board, you can purchase the outer shell.
I watched YouTube Videos that explain that some outer shells are even better than the OEM shell. The flexible buttons on the inside of the outer OEM shell fall off with use.
One Amazon outer shell is made where the buttons can not fall off, i believe that it was a Chinese product.
Sorry, i do not recall the website.

Cases by the way are about $ 5.00 - $12.00 USD

For instance:

2008 -2019 CHRYSLER DODGE & JEEP FOBIK KEY SHELL - W/ START $4.18​

s-l64.jpg
Locksmith Warehouse USA

Shipping hurts though $7.75

another site

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
By the pics you supplied definite after market on the left with no logo.ram fob on the right has no remote button.
My is a 2010 laramie with same fob as you on the right but with lower remote button .
Lastly....a laramie wouldn't come with remote start?isn't laramie a higher end model?
I bought like a 4 pk on ebay(got 2 left).I've had good luck with them other than after about a year the button images wear off...I must have sandpaper hands....lol
Yep. I had a 2012 and a 2018, both with the same fob (SLT and Big Horn) and without touchless entry/push to start. The 2018 did have remote start though.

However, both my 2016 and 2018 Laramies had the same key fob that Marshall posted earlier. I was not aware that a Laramie could be had without TE or push to start.

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the truck used from a private seller a couple weeks ago so I’m not sure if the remote start has ever been used/worked. I checked the build sheet online using my vin number and it shows the truck has remote start. Stumped but don’t want to spend money at the dealership to get it with remote start. Before had, I had a 2011 ram 1500 ST with a 3.7 V6. That truck didn’t even have keyless entry now a deterrent system. I’m just happy to have a key fob and a bigger motor. I guess I’ll live without the remote start.

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THIS.

That button is to control the air ride, not to roll down the windows. That has never been an option (that I am aware of) on the Ram.

OP - probably obvious, but have you tried remote starting with the one factory remote?
I’ve seen videos on guys rolling down their windows with the factory key fob which is why I thought it was a feature. I’m glad it’s not a feature as I have lots of Milwaukee tools in the truck 95% of the time and don’t want to be on a jobsite and my windows roll down all of a sudden. The factory remote key only has lock and unlock buttons and no remote start button. I’ve tried to click the lock button 3/4/5 times to see if that triggers the remote start and it does not unfortunately.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

Catndale2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 5.7 hemi. Love the truck. But I have a remote with remote start button and the remote start just does not work on it. Here is what I know so far.

-Battery replaced in key fob
-Hood latch sensor does not show hood is open
-Truck has a full tank of gas
-I looked up VIN and truck came with remote start installed
-There is no option on the 8.4 for me to enable remote start anywhere in the settings.
-EVIC shows nothing when I try to hit remote start twice from outside truck (while truck is locked).

The key fob also has the window roll down function which does not work either.

Any advice? TIA
I have an 2011 1500 and if you double click and hold on second click the door unlock button the windows roll down as long as you hold the button

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a look at my build sheet for my 2014 sport, the remote start is listed in options AJB, and you have yours listed I see, So If you had a good fob, then the truck remote start should work.
Wonder if a hi end scanner would show the remote function?
Hood and doors have to be latched. If the doors are not locked, when you remote start the doors will also lock.
I have had mine not start for whatever reason, 2 or 3 times over the years, but almost always works just fine, a door may not have been fully latched.
On mine there is nothing on the 8.4? radio setting that I seen, but I have not really looked.
A good lock smith could check programing on the fob I would think, never checked that myself.
In Canada at -30 or -40 temp, remote can be handy for a 2 couple of minutes.
it will also heat the seats and steering wheel, best part.

Heated seat and steering wheel would have been heaven in the old days freezing on old combines and tractors, with no cabs or heaters.