Repair/refill or just replace rack & pinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hi folks - my rack & pinion has a minor seepage, I wouldn't even call it a leak as it doesn't drip off the R&S and pool on the ground.

I have included a couple of pictures - the stain you see is the same stain that has been there for a over 2 years. It doesn't get any worse and there is no problem with steering control or responsiveness. Of course a mechanic wanted over $1500 parts/labor to replace it!!! :Whoa:

Questions:

1. Is there a way to refill the R&P with fluid? If so, how & what type fluid. Any idea what size O-ring (if any) would be necessary to stop the leak from occurring again?

2. Should I just replace (only about a $125 part)? Don't know if I want to jack around with unnecessary labor if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your help!
Jeff

Attachments

• rack & pinion 1.jpg
    rack & pinion 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,765
  • rack & pinion 2.jpg
    rack & pinion 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 346

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the steering rack is not a sealed system, it uses pressurized fluid from the power steering pump to assist in steering effort. That leak is an indication of internal leakage, it's not something you can repair. Steering racks are a common problem in these trucks, and replacement is not that hard. You will need an alignment after

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently replaced my rack with an A1-cardone re-manufactured unit.. I have heard that they have issues after a little time and that I should have gotten a factory unit.. So far no problems and install was fairly easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laura75023