Salta’s & 35/37s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone running this setup on their PW with stock suspension? I’m going from stock wheel and 285 /70 Cooper at3 xtl to the AEV wheel.

I feel like I owe it to the truck to go with 37s since the wheel is made to fit that size tire with its back spacing. I’d like to run a MT or more aggressive AT for the seasons without snow. I’ll have two sets of wheels and tires since I bought those Saltas.

any advice on a tire to go with? Needs to be E rated as I tow a lot. can you even get a 37 E rated tire?

I’m thinking I should stick with a 35 since I tow as much as I do / weight concerns.

I’m leaning toward the BFG km3 but will consider anything if it meets the specs.

Thanks guys

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for the record look at load rating a Toyo 37x12.5-17 is d rated but the load rating is 124 which means it will carry more than most E rated tires that have 121 load rating.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
37s are the minimum Id ever put on a truck.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about 14,000 miles on my KM3s! 35x12.5 on 17x9 wheels, 12mm offset!F6116898-1306-4977-8EA0-38DE11A6CCB3.jpeg12C882A1-E703-4F0F-B3AE-B64ABB8109D3.jpeg

I expect to get another 10,000 miles out of them...good usable miles! I don’t run them bald!

I tow a 11,000lb toyhauler!

Great tire so far! Stable, quiet, predictable handling!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
For out here on the Colorado Plateau and in the Rockies we have different terrain than In Pennsylvania. The mud has bentonite and so it sticks to the tire. Mud tires don't work too good. I look for tires with Load Range E, 3-ply sidewalls, the 3PMSF rating, and hybrid (between an A/T and M/T). Had good results with the S/T Maxx, but currently running Toyo C/T's. Would have run the S/T Maxx again if they made a 35" Load Range E tire.

The National Park Service in Arizona recommends...

"All-Terrain/Mud Terrain Tires: For full size vehicles the ideal tire is a good condition E-Range All-Terrain tire. Examples of All-Terrain tires include BF Goodrich AT/KOs, Cooper ST-Maxx tires, Firestone Destination ATs, etc.This is a tire that has a very thick rubber tread, more flexible rubber, and much stronger steel belts inside the rubber to handle driving over rocks. Load range E is equivalent to a 10-ply tire, where there are 10 layers of reinforcement in the tire. Load Range D tires are equivalent to 8-ply tread, and C is equivalent to 6-ply tread. You also want 3-ply sidewalls on your tires as the rougher roads have rocks along them that will rip open thinner sidewalls.

Mud-terrain tires are not effective at handling mud on the Arizona Strip. The local clay packs into the spaces between the knobby treads like peanut butter. It isn't flung out by the revolution of the wheel like watery mud in other regions of the country. Mud-terrain tires turn into slick, smooth donuts that have no traction in mud in this area."

https://www.nps.gov/para/planyourvi...lY_TyeXTsMZLPb3SDmfPtSXzIYDpUHK5Ff5i7k24-Knck

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For out here on the Colorado Plateau and in the Rockies we have different terrain than In Pennsylvania. The mud has bentonite and so it sticks to the tire. Mud tires don't work too good. I look for tires with Load Range E, 3-ply sidewalls, the 3PMSF rating, and hybrid (between an A/T and M/T). Had good results with the S/T Maxx, but currently running Toyo C/T's. Would have run the S/T Maxx again if they made a 35" Load Range E tire.

The National Park Service in Arizona recommends...

"All-Terrain/Mud Terrain Tires: For full size vehicles the ideal tire is a good condition E-Range All-Terrain tire. Examples of All-Terrain tires include BF Goodrich AT/KOs, Cooper ST-Maxx tires, Firestone Destination ATs, etc.This is a tire that has a very thick rubber tread, more flexible rubber, and much stronger steel belts inside the rubber to handle driving over rocks. Load range E is equivalent to a 10-ply tire, where there are 10 layers of reinforcement in the tire. Load Range D tires are equivalent to 8-ply tread, and C is equivalent to 6-ply tread. You also want 3-ply sidewalls on your tires as the rougher roads have rocks along them that will rip open thinner sidewalls.

Mud-terrain tires are not effective at handling mud on the Arizona Strip. The local clay packs into the spaces between the knobby treads like peanut butter. It isn't flung out by the revolution of the wheel like watery mud in other regions of the country. Mud-terrain tires turn into slick, smooth donuts that have no traction in mud in this area."

https://www.nps.gov/para/planyourvi...lY_TyeXTsMZLPb3SDmfPtSXzIYDpUHK5Ff5i7k24-Knck
Love your thoughts. Would you stay with the K02s then? I’ve had them in the past and loved them but we have a ton of clay here and I figured the MT would handle it well?

The clay completely coated my coopers a few times this season resulting in me having to winch out.
You think the same thing would happen to a MT here?

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about 14,000 miles on my KM3s! 35x12.5 on 17x9 wheels, 12mm offset!View attachment 239786View attachment 239790

I expect to get another 10,000 miles out of them...good usable miles! I don’t run them bald!

I tow a 11,000lb toyhauler!

Great tire so far! Stable, quiet, predictable handling!
How are they on road in the wet? Are they quite in the dry?

able to handle mud and clay off??

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Love your thoughts. Would you stay with the K02s then? I’ve had them in the past and loved them but we have a ton of clay here and I figured the MT would handle it well?

The clay completely coated my coopers a few times this season resulting in me having to winch out.
You think the same thing would happen to a MT here?

I run the KO2 on my travel trailer, but they have a 2 ply sidewall. So I wouldn't run them on my Power Wagon. They have the 3PMSF rating. The KM3s are 3 ply sidewall and are better insurance against rock and are for serious off-road use. Lacks siping though for snow and ice. They don't meet the 3PMSF.

Bentonite clay sticks like huge globs of wet plaster. I need something in-between the KO2 A/T and KM3 for snow/ice, mud, and rock. A hybrid tire of which the S/T Maxx, Toyo R/T, and Nitto Ridge Grappler are. I don't believe the Nitto has a 3 ply sidewall though, whereas, the other two do. They all don't meet the 3PMSF rating.

I chose the Toyo C/T due to it has the 3PMSF rating, is Load Range E, has a 3 ply sidewall, and wears like titanium. The less aggressive Toyo A/T III meets those requirements too, but the C/T would be better in mud and deep snow.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about 14,000 miles on my KM3s! 35x12.5 on 17x9 wheels, 12mm offset!
How are they on road in the wet? Are they quite in the dry?

able to handle mud and clay off??

Wet roads...they handle exceptionally well! I live on a twisty country road! I haven’t hydroplaned yet! They inspire confidence in the rain...at highway speeds!

Noise wise...VERY quite...for a mud tire! At 14,000 miles, none of that loud growl, or “slap”! Maybe a quiet hum? Quite acceptable to me! (I ran 38” Swampers on my last K5!

Mud...pretty decent! Not as aggressive as the Swampers, but they got me through the mud trails in my woods! I will say...the truck is HEAVY!

Clay...I don’t have a real answer, no experience! My guess would be it would load up and become a slick! The only clay I’m familiar with was in Winchester Va. years ago! That shut would stick a dozer!

I’m happy with the tire! Btw, it is an E rated tire!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Check out tread depth too.

My Toyo C/T's are 19.3/32, the KO2's are 15/32, KM3's are 18/32, S/T Maxx 18.5/32, the STT Pro's are 22/32's. Depending on size. We need 6/32's deep tread for winter usage here to be legal. The more tread depth the better in deep snow and mud.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My Toyo C/T's are 19.3/32, the KO2's are 15/32, KM3's are 18/32, S/T Maxx 18.5/32, the STT Pro's are 22/32's. Depending on size. We need 6/32's deep tread for winter usage here to be legal. The more tread depth the better in deep snow and mud.
Seems like I can run the Toyo C/T all year and not swap sets for the winter. I will definitely have to consider these

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
comforser cf 3000 35s seem to be very quite and good wear stock rims no lift no rubbing had recalibrate for tire size.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi

Where did you get your Toyo CT 35/12.50/17 ? The only place I'm finding them is ebay & Amazon. Discount Tire doesn't have them in 35's . Tire Rack lists OC RT in commercial traction. Not the same the reviews for wet weather on these are bad. They aren't pinned like the oc ct's either.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Where did you get your Toyo CT 35/12.50/17 ? The only place I'm finding them is ebay & Amazon. Discount Tire doesn't have them in 35's . Tire Rack lists OC RT in commercial traction. Not the same the reviews for wet weather on these are bad. They aren't pinned like the oc ct's either.

I got my Toyo C/T's in 35 12.50R17 at Discount Tire in Grand Junction. They don't list that size on their website, but Discount had no issues finding them on their database. Had to ship them in from Texas, but then nearly everything out here on the Western Slope has to be shipped in from some distant warehouse.

Last edited:

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cooper s/t maxx 37/12.5/17 AEV Salta +28mm offset
thuren 1/2" leveling in front. Slight rub sometimes on drivers side at the pinch weld. I beat the pinchweld over and heated up the plastic liner to reform it.FB_IMG_1600813013878.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinestTitan70