Saying hello, but also have a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings from Wyoming…

I just recently bought a 2012 1500 Laramie, and I am enjoying the truck. That said, this is my first RAM/Dodge/Chrysler product, so still getting to know it.

After buying the truck, I started noticing a rattling noise from under the driver’s side front. Especially noticeable on gravel washboard roads (which I live on…)

With some poking around, I found the noise to be this little loose ring where the axle meets the front diff/transaxle (shown in attached pic)

Looking for some knowledge about this part, shouldn’t be loose and rattling? Shoot I don’t even know what to call it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 11

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks like a seal shield. Funny, I never really noticed that on mine.

If it's not leaking, I'd probably clean the surfaces, center the shield and put a daub of RTV in 3 places in the corner in the evening, and let it set-up overnight. That ought to keep it from rattling. But that's just my thinking.

OP
OP
DBMoose

DBMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the idea. I have a sound that almost sounds like dragging chains, but the only thing loose that I can find is the dust shield. Will have to try something to keep it from rattling.

Thanks for the idea

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If its a axle seal, I would be checking the oil in the case, you may be low
But does not look like any oil leaking.
Another thing to check when a rattle starts is the heat shields on the exhaust manifolds,
bolts have been know to break and then the shields rattle, usally heat exhaust leak as well.

I have had 3, but never had a problem, 05, 10, 14 .

OP
OP
DBMoose

DBMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to check the heat shield, thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Greetings from Wyoming…

I just recently bought a 2012 1500 Laramie, and I am enjoying the truck. That said, this is my first RAM/Dodge/Chrysler product, so still getting to know it.

After buying the truck, I started noticing a rattling noise from under the driver’s side front. Especially noticeable on gravel washboard roads (which I live on…)

With some poking around, I found the noise to be this little loose ring where the axle meets the front diff/transaxle (shown in attached pic)

Looking for some knowledge about this part, shouldn’t be loose and rattling? Shoot I don’t even know what to call it.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard, many ram members here believe the 2012 with the 6 speed and 3.92 gears is on at least top 5 trucks ever made and maybe even number 1. The rational for this position is it was year 4 into 4 gens and they did a lot of upgrades but still is considered low tech compared to 2013 and every year after. That 6 speed was a huge bump in mpg's and keeping the truck in better power bands, especially if it has the 3.92 gearing, which if it doesn't have you can always upgrade at some point. 4 gens are super popular in no small part to the coil back suspension that is why your 2012 rides so much better then any other brand truck that year.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
BTW I forgot ,Welcome from Canada There are a few of up here as well.
The transfer case should be checked for oil, that could be where the noise is coming from.
If you had it on a lift and run it in gear , then you may have a better idea about the rattle.

OP
OP
DBMoose

DBMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome aboard, many ram members here believe the 2012 with the 6 speed and 3.92 gears is on at least top 5 trucks ever made and maybe even number 1. The rational for this position is it was year 4 into 4 gens and they did a lot of upgrades but still is considered low tech compared to 2013 and every year after. That 6 speed was a huge bump in mpg's and keeping the truck in better power bands, especially if it has the 3.92 gearing, which if it doesn't have you can always upgrade at some point. 4 gens are super popular in no small part to the coil back suspension that is why your 2012 rides so much better then any other brand truck that year.

Thanks for the info about the 2012. I am pretty happy with it, seems to be the right mix of tech and old school for my liking. A nice interior package with the Laramie trim, but nothing super extra like back up sensors to be finicky.

I bought it with just over 115k on it and was told the previous owners had put a new engine in it at around 100K miles. It appears they had done a lot of towing with it and decided to get something a bit more fuel efficient with their trade-in…

So far overall I have been very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 4