Semi metallic brake pad recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I went with Wagner oex ceramic front and rear. Were not properly bedded and they got glazed over. Went back to shop, they pulled and scuffed them up and reinstalled. Was good for a short time then seem to have gotten glazed over again. I’m over trying ceramic and want to go with semi metallic. Besides oem, what semi metallic pads are people using that are good and also produce low dust. I went on rock auto and see options for heavy duty (truck tow haul) and also premium. Not sure which “level” to go with and under those are several brand options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Powerstop Z36. Work great but you mush follow the instructions for bedding......

These are not semi metallic, I believe they are a proprietary Carbon-Fiber Ceramic

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I went with Wagner oex ceramic front and rear. Were not properly bedded and they got glazed over. Went back to shop, they pulled and scuffed them up and reinstalled. Was good for a short time then seem to have gotten glazed over again.
It's not that the brake were improperly bedded in. The glazing over is caused by not enough brake pressure applied over longer periods of time. Also known as "riding the brakes" but if called that people cop an attitude and will respond they don't.
The biggest factor in brakes wearing isn't how hard or soft you brake but the amount of time they're in contact with the rotor

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
It's not that the brake were improperly bedded in. The glazing over is caused by not enough brake pressure applied over longer periods of time. Also known as "riding the brakes" but if called that people cop an attitude and will respond they don't.
The biggest factor in brakes wearing isn't how hard or soft you brake but the amount of time they're in contact with the rotor
Thanks for the lesson. One thing is for sure, I do not ever ride my brakes and probably wait longer than most to apply my brakes when coming to a slowdown/stop as I let the truck slow on its own a bit first. Secondly, I am asking for recommendations on semi metallic pad choice.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Powerstop Z36. Work great but you mush follow the instructions for bedding......

These are not semi metallic, I believe they are a proprietary Carbon-Fiber Ceramic
I’m asking for recommendations for semi metallic

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
but if called that people cop an attitude and will respond they don't.

I do not ever ride my brakes

LOL.

Crash is right though. Glazing is caused by light, long breaking.

Anyway, from the Wagner OEx website "these pads are engineered to deliver up to two times longer pad life*, less dust, and reduced rotor wear." I wonder if these specific pads that are meant to last a long time, do so because they get hard and have meh friction properties. The "glassing" you felt may have just been a poor pad design.

I don't have any recommendations on new brakes, just trying to hypothesize what your issue may have been with your old ones.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
LOL.

Crash is right though. Glazing is caused by light, long breaking.

Anyway, from the Wagner OEx website "these pads are engineered to deliver up to two times longer pad life*, less dust, and reduced rotor wear." I wonder if these specific pads that are meant to last a long time, do so because they get hard and have meh friction properties. The "glassing" you felt may have just been a poor pad design.

I don't have any recommendations on new brakes, just trying to hypothesize what your issue may have been with your old ones.
When coming to a stop, you can hear it slipping the grip.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had good luck with Brake Best pads from O'Reillys. Probably not the best pads out there, but, they've done well for me.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When coming to a stop, you can hear it slipping the grip.
I assume you replaced rotors at the same, what you describe maybe your rotors are warped, if you want semi metallic, I would go with OEM but know this you will be getting allot of dusting on your wheels W semi metallic pads, ceramics by power stop are the preferred choice

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
I assume you replaced rotors at the same, what you describe maybe your rotors are warped, if you want semi metallic, I would go with OEM but know this you will be getting allot of dusting on your wheels W semi metallic pads, ceramics by power stop are the preferred choice
Low miles so far on rotors and pads. No pulsing and when they were taken off and confirmed glazed the first time before they scuffed them up, rotors were fine