Semi metallic brake pad recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Green stuff by ebc lookup green stuff brake pads I got 4yrs out of them when I wouldn't even get a year out of anything else and the bite quick I feel I can stop on a dime. They are a little $ but I don't care the are awesome.
Good lord , my OE’s are over 10 years old , still got some pad left .

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
EBC Extra Duty. Well over 100,000 miles on the current set. Quiet and stop as well as the day they were installed 6 years ago. They do make a bit of dust but not a lot. They ain’t cheap at $150 per axle. Worth every penny when some fools pulls out in front of me when I am towing a 13k lb trailer. More than once. :mad:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
years doesn’t say much without the mileage. Pads will last a decade or two if only driven 3 - 4k miles per year.
So the guy I was replying to , was getting a year out of his brakes , how many miles you thing he was going in a year to wear them out ? I’ve been towing a fifth wheel with my truck now for 10 years on the OE’s for a good portion of the nearly 80k that’s on the truck . That’s all the truck was bought for . Of course I do know how to slow down , and use my EB .

Just checked the brakes on our Ford Escape , 96k on them , still looking good . Thats my wife’s car , and she’s not one to see how fast she can get to the next stop sign or red light , and slam on the brakes. I suspect from the way I see people drive , it’s no doubt it’s once a year brake job. :rolleyes:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
EBC Extra Duty. Well over 100,000 miles on the current set. Quiet and stop as well as the day they were installed 6 years ago. They do make a bit of dust but not a lot. They ain’t cheap at $150 per axle. Worth every penny when some fools pulls out in front of me when I am towing a 13k lb trailer. More than once. :mad:
Looks like the brakes I’ll go with if I ever get the OE’s wore out . :)

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went 105000 on the OEM pads before changing to Powerstop. Still using original rotors just new pads, still stops better than any car i've ever driven. 133000 miles now.
For waht it's worth semi-mets will make more dust and noise. Bedding in the pads correctly is crucial!

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the shop fixed them a second time and it you say it happened again.
I'll bet you ride the brakes more than you think.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
If the shop fixed them a second time and it you say it happened again.
I'll bet you ride the brakes more than you think.
I don’t, and late brake in most cases. I’m leaning toward the possibility that the caliper may not be fully opening which I will have the shop check when they replace the pads.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t, and late brake in most cases. I’m leaning toward the possibility that the caliper may not be fully opening which I will have the shop check when they replace the pads.

May just be the Wagner OEx pads. I’ve used them before and had a good experience. Recently I had to do brakes on both of my daughter’s cars. One I used Wagner Thermo quiet pads and the e-coated rotors. The other I used the OEx pads and e-coated rotors. Everything was purchased from RockAuto. The thermo quiet pads were perfect and no issues whatsoever. The OEx pads sucked! I had to file the ears on all four to get a smooth operation and the anti rattle plate fell off of one. Almost like they were cheap knockoffs. They didn’t bed well and I had to pull one side off and rework it. I’m wondering about the quality of some Wagner products now.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a possibility I guess.....i would think that if one(or more)of the calipers were sticking the truck would pull 1 way or the other all the time.....does it pull at anytime?braking of driving?
I'm going with crash and rzr on this one regardless of what you say...glazing is caused by extended periods of pad/rotor contact,not necessarily whatever material is used....
Hey,its your ride and your preference and you see fit to run what you want...I'm not gonna fault you for that...but you should understand what's going on here.
Hope you find a suitable pad for your needs.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
It is a possibility I guess.....i would think that if one(or more)of the calipers were sticking the truck would pull 1 way or the other all the time.....does it pull at anytime?braking of driving?
I'm going with crash and rzr on this one regardless of what you say...glazing is caused by extended periods of pad/rotor contact,not necessarily whatever material is used....
Hey,its your ride and your preference and you see fit to run what you want...I'm not gonna fault you for that...but you should understand what's going on here.
Hope you find a suitable pad for your needs.
I agree if sticking there would be a pull. There is none. BUT, they may not be opening enough and just kissing the rotor so you wouldn’t feel a pull but it may be enough to heat the pads up and causing a glaze.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byteme