Service 4wd system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2013 ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Recently developed and service 4 wheel drive light.
I replaced front axle disconnect actuator and looked at and cleaned all connectors to the transfer case and transmission.
I used obd mx+ Bluetooth diagnostics.
I monitor tcase status and voltages to.to case shift motor and it looks dead.
I am seriously considering just replacing shift motor as it's 11 years old with 335k miles on it.
I know I need tontest pinouts to each connector to make sure correct voltage and ohms are present. But I honestly hate electrical work....
Need some help here..
Also read it could be transfer case gear sensor???

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just replace it. It's 75$ used on eBay, so barely the cost of dinner for 2 at McGreasy'a these days.

250$ new from Mopar Parts Giant.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did a google search for the part number, and it shows to be the same part as used on various GMs, Hummers, Rams, and a ton of other stuff

Even popped up aftermarket on Amazon, with Prime 1 day shipping. The pn# I got from Mopar parts is 68089746AC

Transfer Case Motor Replacement for Cadillac Escalade Chevrolet Silverado GMC Yukon Ram Pickup Hummer H2

Link:

https://a.co/d/3gHG2Aq

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I am thinking.

That's the parts cannon approach!

This method usually costs more money and often just extends the problem.

If you'd care to troubleshoot and analyze, you might save a buck and learn a few things in the process. Or, are you feeling lucky and changing parts might be successful?

How old is the battery? Spend $20 at HarbourFreight and buy a toaster-style battery load tester.

A quick google search shows a few people successfully correcting this fault with a battery replacement.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Amazon's return policy is such that it's like having an extra part to try, if it works keep it and if it don't, send it back.

I actually have a spare one attached to the BW44-44 I replaced when I did my 44-45 swap, back in 2018ish. It's still sitting out in the garden shed.

But, since your on the far opposite side of the US, shipping both ways so you can try it would cost nearly as much as buying another unit from Amazon.

The cheapest one I found on Amazon, that part#, for diagnosing purposes would be about 45$ with free shipping and one day delivery.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was thinking same thing, try a cheap replacement and see if it works.
I can hear the shift motor when sitting in truck on run but not started , if I switch to 4wd and then back to 2wd I can hear shift motor activating. So I doubt its shift motor. I am pretty confident it's and electrical problem as activating shift motor doesn't do a thing.

OP
OP

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Omg. I fixed this after crawling around, cleaning and checking every single harness. I was stimped and thwn this morning at 6:30am I was looking at my alfaobd app.
I saw the restore configuration before but was afraid to brick truck. Today I said the hell with it. Ran restore config and when done turned ignition to off removed key shut door and went in to have breakfast.
Came back out to go to.work and all good, everything works. Tested 4wd. No issues. I saw one weird setting in alfa a few days ago and suspected something got corrupted.
The dynamic tires size was et to like 1890000 mm. Which clearly was waaaay wrong. I plan to go back into alfa obd and see what changed. I bet the dynamic tire size was messing with something....I am going away this weekend and so when I get back I will dig in and see what changed. Drove truck all morning qith no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum