Service abs sensor, service trailer brake, and traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muk muk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 ram 1500 Longhorn owner looking for some solutions to my problem. I was driving to work and got a service abs sensor warning, fallowed by service trailer brake warning, the abs and traction control lights are constantly on and while this happened the truck wouldn't shift out of gear. After i pulled over and turned the truck off then started it up the warnings and light all appeared again but haven't had any issues with the truck getting stuck in gear again. I do have abs kick in every so often when breaking under normal conditions and did notice some minor pulsing from what i think would be the abs while driving. Changed the front driver abs sensor today and still have the warnings and experienced abs kick in while backing into my driveway after change out. Is there only sensors on my front two hubs? and is it worth swapping out the passenger side if it looks fine?
Thanks for the help.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because it's intermittenent, it could definitely be electrical, or a failing ABS module (somewhat common), or like you say, a wheel sensor (or it's wiring).

As a first course of action, I'd try to rule out simple and common electrical issues. 1) Check that the fuses are all pushed down tight, and wiggle them, ensure none are blown. F06 & F76 HERE should be the ABS fuses (green & Red fuses??). Take them out and inspect. Test and maybe swap with another same style fuses, just for the heck of it. And I'd probably 2) tap on each relay with a screwdriver handle a couple times..not real hard ..though. Then I'd 3) check/wiggle the wire connector at the ABS unit (for corrosion, etc). Then I'd for sure 4) Recommend cleaning the battery terminals and make sure the grounds to the Engine/Frame/Body are all good. At least losen the Gnd bolts a little and re-tighten. Electrical path is SO important on modern vehicles. If the chips/circuits in electrical modules don't get the voltage they are designed for, it causes things to go haywire. That's why they have grounds all over the place on these trucks. So... definitely rule out bad/inconsistent voltage. If you get lucky that might solve your problem.

On my truck there are two major ground points. 1) Behind a plastic door above the F/L tire. Mine was pretty rusty believe it or not...and my truck is clean. #2) Another major ground point on the backside of the filler tube/gas tank area. Several ground cables on both those regions.

It may or may not be your issue, but it would be a good thing I'd want to rule out. Esp if you live in a rusty area. But also even if you don't. It could also be a failing module, which is real common on early tks (2013 was when they introduced a lot of new electronics), so you definitely want to ensure the connector is clean and all is good at least up to the point of the module, as best you can so you don't end up forking out a lot of money for a module when it was really just bad grounds or a corroded connector.

Second thing, if you haven't done it, would be to go to like Autozone or OReilly Auto, and get a free scan done on your vehicle. See if there's a Code that tells you anything else, like a certain sensor not working. That might give you a place to target too. Wheel sensor connectors and the wires are pretty hearty, but sometimes they can go bad too. So inspect the sensor wiring/connectors.

So, in summary take a few minutes and rule out electrical issues. Esp on a 2013.

Let us know what you come up with... :waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muk muk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Success! For now… I trouble shoot each of your recommendations and after each area I turned the truck on but the issue was still there. Finally I just found the abs module and gave it a couple wraps with a screw driver handle and give the harness a good jiggle. The warnings all cleared when I started driving down our road and haven’t had the abs active while breaking. So I don’t actually know what I did to clear everything, does the truck need to be driven to actually clear everything after a fix or should they be cleared as soon as you turn the truck on? Either way I’m happy they are gone but it seems like they could show back up again. Thanks for the help!