Service & Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mystic1906

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good night. I took my 2019 5.7 Classic 4x4 in last week due to the suspected Hemi tick. Truck is 99,780 miles and my extended warranty was about to run out. After the dealership service dept checked it they said on the left it's the exhaust manifold bolts but on the right it's the lifters. Powertrain warranty is going to cover both so I only have to pay the $100 deductible, dodged that bullet. They also discovered that my radiator has a small leak. That's also covered.

They are recommending a tune up at $599 being that it's only 200 miles shy of 100k, a complete fuel system service at $279.90, and a coolant service at $140. All told I'd be looking at just under $1400.

I feel like the fuel system service is just an upsell so I'm on the fence about doing it. I'm also not sure if the coolant service is required given that they are replacing the radiator. The tune up would include replacing the spark plugs so at 100k I'm pretty sure that's a necessity. I know enough to just be ok but I'm also not the most mechanically knowledgeable person so I thought I'd ask on here to get a consensus on what I should have done. Thanks in advance for your help.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
For fuel system - purchase two bottles of Red Line SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner and dump them in an empty tank and fill up with premium... (do your oil & filter change after you've run the tank empty, too!). Then run another tank full of premium as well - your fuel system will be happy.

For spark plugs, consider NGK Ruthenium HX and purchase from a credible source like Rock Auto. They are about $12USD each (you'll need 16 of them), and if you can do it yourself or with a buddy... you'll save a ton of cash!

Coolant - well, we are all different in how we plan and execute our maintenance intervals.
Personally, for me, at 100K mileage, regardless of years, it's time for a coolant flush and fill, and maybe a new thermostat, too.

Our engines use specific coolant, so, if they are replacing the radiator under warranty, a good volume of coolant is out anyways, I'd personally have it done by them so it's their hands that touched it and their warranty on service and materials.

That's my $0.02

EDIT - see if they can find a leak on your transmission so you can get them to cover a transmission fluid and filter replacement at the same time - at 100K, your transmission will thank you ;)

Ask me how I know this :)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought my '15 SLT in Sept. of 2017, it had 28600 miles on it. When I was near 50k miles, I dropped it off at a local Ram dealer for oustanding recalls.

When I returned for my truck, the SA said I needed an alignment and showed me this:
20210304_073810.jpg

I asked, "If my alignment is so bad, how come I have no pull, and my tire wear is flat and even?"

He stammered a bit and said, "You're not the first one to say this. Maybe our machine is off."

Yeah, rigggght. Maybe you just tried to screw me and got caught. Plus, that dealership was brand new and had only been open a few months at that time. Never been back.

Funny thing: My truck now has 185k miles, and I got 81k miles out of the last set of tires I bought at Walmart, Cooper Discoverer A/T "E" rated.

Also: I have NEVER had an alignment done on my Ram since I've had it, just rotating the tires every oil change. Still original shocks, too (those I do need to change, a bit more bounce in the girl, but money is really tight, now).

A giant upsell and money grab for them that was tried on you.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would like to believe that they would change the coolant when doing the radiator repair, but if the coolant is clean, they could potentially reuse it? I have no idea their protocol on this.

Trans service should be done, OE fluid and pan will run $450ish dealer price on pan and fluid w/o labor. I just am not very trusting of dealeship service after dealing with the ones near me.

The tune-up is probably plugs, pcv, and air filter. Dealer will charge you $25 ea for plugs, and prob $80ish for pcv valve and air filter, minus labor. Ask whats included. FWIW, DIY is waaay cheaper on this.

P.S. NGK 92145 are OE plugs, DO NOT buy them online from Amazon, etc. USE a parts house, or RockAuto or @AllMoparParts.com here. Price check and see if they price match. Worth a shot.

Good luck and smooth repairs.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For fuel system - purchase two bottles of Red Line SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner and dump them in an empty tank and fill up with premium... (do your oil & filter change after you've run the tank empty, too!). Then run another tank full of premium as well - your fuel system will be happy.

For spark plugs, consider NGK Ruthenium HX and purchase from a credible source like Rock Auto. They are about $12USD each (you'll need 16 of them), and if you can do it yourself or with a buddy... you'll save a ton of cash!

Coolant - well, we are all different in how we plan and execute our maintenance intervals.
Personally, for me, at 100K mileage, regardless of years, it's time for a coolant flush and fill, and maybe a new thermostat, too.

Our engines use specific coolant, so, if they are replacing the radiator under warranty, a good volume of coolant is out anyways, I'd personally have it done by them so it's their hands that touched it and their warranty on service and materials.

That's my $0.02

EDIT - see if they can find a leak on your transmission so you can get them to cover a transmission fluid and filter replacement at the same time - at 100K, your transmission will thank you ;)

Ask me how I know this :)

This is an excellent list that requires only one qualifying statement.

The fuel system cleaning using Redline SI-1 should only be performed just prior to an oil change because, as we all know, all the released fuel system crud gets flushed into the oil supply. :cool:

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to believe that they would change the coolant when doing the radiator repair, but if the coolant is clean, they could potentially reuse it? I have no idea their protocol on this.
Even if it is dirty an old they won't put new in unless you pay for it. You don't get anything for free anymore.

I would replace the coolant too. It is 5 years old with 100,000 miles and most of it will be out anyway for the rad replacement.

If you drive the same distance in the next 5 years you will be replacing in 2 1/2 years anyway as it is only 10 years and or 150,000 miles for the OAT coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981