Shorty header install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrBill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last November I did a shorty header install in my driveway. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks maybe a Little longerto finish. I’m 77 years old. Only used minor hand tools. JBA ceramic coated stainless headers, felpro gaskets, and Stage 8 header bolts with locks, the headers took a little over a week working part time. It’s hot in the Florida Sun. The locks for the locking bolts were the worst part . Of course being my age and running out of steam was a factor but I couldn't find a shop willing to do the job for a reasonable price.
Previously done was a Magnaflow performance Y pipe with performance Cats. And a Magnaflow cat back system .
Cold Air intake I pieced together and a Moes ported throttle body, Clutch fan delete, removal of condenser fan and added an 6 cylinder fan, an 180 thermostat and a hemi fever tune. Don’t have the finances for a dyno so I can’t give you dyno results.
Here’s my opinion’s on this after driving around for 5 or so months.
Anyone with basic mechanical understanding can do the shorty header instal in their own driveway, I wouldn’t recommend this Instal if you are planning to do it on a public street or parking lot. You’ll probably get run over.
Does this combination make the truck louder? No actually a little quieter with a deeper sound .
Is there an increase in performance due to a horse power increase . Yes Sir a big one.
Now I realize the hemi fever trans tune and bolt on tune , the cat back system, the performance cats ? The Y pipe, the ported moes throttle body, the shortys, the clutch fan delete all add to the final outcome.
I did the shortys to avoid the broken exhaust bolt issues . So it was preventive maintenance .
My truck runs at 186 to 188 degrees here in sunny Florida
Oil temp is 190 degrees
Oil pressure is now around 43 at idle
It takes a minimum of pressure on the gas to get moving
It accelerates quickly . At 70mph if i have to pass someone I’m way past 95 before I even notice I’m going too fast.
Mid range has improved low range has improved
Upper range is still unexplored territory. I have been to 110 but shut that run down because I want to make it to my 78th birthday in july
For what it’s worth
Once this thing gets rolling Down the highway is can get scary fast,
I realize all this is subjective, I’m basing my performance opinions on having a C- 5 corvette 6 speed with kooks long tube headers cold air intake and a performance tune. I understand a little about go fast .
The only truck I have ever driven that was easily faster that this Ram was an AMG 55 supercharged truck. Those things can haul!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last November I did a shorty header install in my driveway. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks maybe a Little longerto finish. I’m 77 years old. Only used minor hand tools. JBA ceramic coated stainless headers, felpro gaskets, and Stage 8 header bolts with locks, the headers took a little over a week working part time. It’s hot in the Florida Sun. The locks for the locking bolts were the worst part . Of course being my age and running out of steam was a factor but I couldn't find a shop willing to do the job for a reasonable price.
Previously done was a Magnaflow performance Y pipe with performance Cats. And a Magnaflow cat back system .
Cold Air intake I pieced together and a Moes ported throttle body, Clutch fan delete, removal of condenser fan and added an 6 cylinder fan, an 180 thermostat and a hemi fever tune. Don’t have the finances for a dyno so I can’t give you dyno results.
Here’s my opinion’s on this after driving around for 5 or so months.
Anyone with basic mechanical understanding can do the shorty header instal in their own driveway, I wouldn’t recommend this Instal if you are planning to do it on a public street or parking lot. You’ll probably get run over.
Does this combination make the truck louder? No actually a little quieter with a deeper sound .
Is there an increase in performance due to a horse power increase . Yes Sir a big one.
Now I realize the hemi fever trans tune and bolt on tune , the cat back system, the performance cats ? The Y pipe, the ported moes throttle body, the shortys, the clutch fan delete all add to the final outcome.
I did the shortys to avoid the broken exhaust bolt issues . So it was preventive maintenance .
My truck runs at 186 to 188 degrees here in sunny Florida
Oil temp is 190 degrees
Oil pressure is now around 43 at idle
It takes a minimum of pressure on the gas to get moving
It accelerates quickly . At 70mph if i have to pass someone I’m way past 95 before I even notice I’m going too fast.
Mid range has improved low range has improved
Upper range is still unexplored territory. I have been to 110 but shut that run down because I want to make it to my 78th birthday in july
For what it’s worth
Once this thing gets rolling Down the highway is can get scary fast,
I realize all this is subjective, I’m basing my performance opinions on having a C- 5 corvette 6 speed with kooks long tube headers cold air intake and a performance tune. I understand a little about go fast .
The only truck I have ever driven that was easily faster that this Ram was an AMG 55 supercharged truck. Those things can haul!
If you like tinkering around,you can port your intake manifold in an afternoon pretty easily. Even if you have to buy a few cartridge rolls,it might cost you all of 20 bucks,to gain another 5 maybe 10 horsepower.
You could swap to a 6.4 intake manifold,but it's not usually all that cheap,while you can port your stock intake for next to nothing,other then a couple hours of labour.
This guy is doing a 6.4 car intake,but the same ideas and tricks apply to the 5.7 manifold.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the heads up. I just may give it a shot in the near future.
Thanks
They're easy to port being a composite manifold,not like porting an old style set of cast iron heads,or an aluminium intake manifold,lol

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Ceramic or silicone carbide cartridge rolls & flaps work better on non-ferrous/ composite material.
Doesn't load up like aluminum oxide.