Slight ticking/flutter noise under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello everyone, I just started daily driving my 2020 classic 5.7 that I restored from salvage and ever since I bought it the truck has made a slight flutter like noise under load when accelerating. It’s very quiet, like so quiet that sometimes the road noise or even my music playing at 1/4 volume is louder than the noise. At idle it sounds like any other 5.7 hemi, just a little noisier. Like the same injector clatter that my other 2 5.7’s had but amplified a little. And the weirdest part is from the outside it sounds totally normal, and healthy. But from the inside at idle it’s like a tick, but the quietist and leaf defined tick you can imagine. And with rpm and load it becomes more defined and flutter like, almost like noisy injectors firing. The only thing I can think of is old and crappy gas, as the truck sat at the salvage lot since early October 23’ and is currently running on the same gas, and I’ve heard that bad gas can make the injectors noisier. Anybody have any clues as to what this is? Ps, I would record a video of it but I’m worried that it’s so quiet that my phone’s microphone wouldn’t even pick it up. Thanks everyone.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possibly a small exhaust manifold leak check the bolts see if any of the bolts are broken they tend to warp and snap bolts also yea old ****** gas could make it Ping under load.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 09 does that, but its got very warped manifolds and a hole in the firewall I keep forgetting to seal up so It’s a lot easier to hear.

OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
UPDATE: So I took it to my friend’s house to get his opinion on it and when I took him for a drive he said he couldn’t hear it at all until he drove it on the driver’s side, so it’s coming from driver. We also determined that it’s not load related at all, it just exactly matches rpm. We also determined that it’s too quiet and not enough of a defined tick to be manifold bolts, and it’s higher pitched like injectors. My friend thinks that it’s either dirty injectors from sitting or it’s just a louder hemi and it’s been like that from day one. I’m still a little concerned since my 2014 didn’t do it and my dad’s 5th gen doesn’t do it. I took a video but it looks like I can’t upload it here.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the exh manifolds/studs. It's a chronic issue on these vehicles. The cure is to belt-sand your warped ones 'flat' or have a machine shop re-machine them. Buying new ones only means ...you bought yourself a couple yrs till THEY warp.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
perhaps dump in two bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment on an empty tank and fill with premium fuel.

Drive it till empty and then refill with premium. Also, do an oil & filter change after the first tank of fuel that was treated.

Use a good quality 5W30 synthetic oil and a quality synthetic media oil filter, too.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yep, my 2017 HEMI made a little noise that also sounded like the HEMI tick for a couple of days after sitting six months under going "off the frame restoration" due to an accident ... it also ran a little"rough" on the first few cold start ups, but was fine when warm.

I added a bottle of Red Line SI-1 fuel treatment with a top off of top tier 91octain unethenol fuel and all is good again.

OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ticking videoUPDATE: I uploaded a video of the noise with me driving and accelerating through gears. It almost sounds louder in the video than it does when driving it, but I did put my phone right up to the dash. Let me know if this helps with a possible diagnosis.

OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, my 2017 HEMI made a little noise that also sounded like the HEMI tick for a couple of days after sitting six months under going "off the frame restoration" due to an accident ... it also ran a little"rough" on the first few cold start ups, but was fine when warm.

I added a bottle of Red Line SI-1 fuel treatment with a top off of top tier 91octain unethenol fuel and all is good again.
Mine makes the noise the exact same when it’s cold as it does when it’s warm, like no difference at all. It almost doesn’t sound like a tick in the video and much more like a flutter or even a hiss.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Mine makes the noise the exact same when it’s cold as it does when it’s warm, like no difference at all. It almost doesn’t sound like a tick in the video and much more like a flutter or even a hiss.

Just throwing something out there ... when was the last time you tighten up your intake manifold bolts, not saying it'll solve your issue, but folks have re-tightened the bolts that work loose over time and because of other "things going on" and that seemed to have resolved their issues, ldk. ... can't hurt anything and wouldn't it marvelous if that did the trick?

Last edited:
OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just something throwing out there ... when was the last time you tighten up your intake manifold bolts, not saying it'll solve your issue, but folks have re-tightened the bolts that work loose over time and because of other "things going on" and that seemed to have resolved their issues, ldk. ... can't anything and wouldn't it marvelous if that did the trick?
I’ve not tried that yet, I’ll give it a shot when I get home and I’ll keep you posted. I might check exhaust bolts while I’m at it.

OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So just for ***** I covered up the driver’s side vent while accelerating and the noise got dampened by like 2/3, and it seems like it’s coming directly from the vent area. Now I’m just more confused. Any clues?

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Could very well be coming from your hvac system. Do you have cabin air filter behind your glove box? Does the sound get any louder when the AC, Heater, Defrost is turned on? Could be a stuck actuator door in your hvac system.

OP
OP

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could very well be coming from your hvac system. Do you have cabin air filter behind your glove box? Does the sound get any louder when the AC, Heater, Defrost is turned on? Could be a stuck actuator door in your hvac system.
I just tried this, no different with ac, heat, or defrost turned on. It just always makes the noise exactly the same as long as it’s running.