Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry guys, I am now more lost than ever, I know people have said to replace the speakers, that's all I want to do, no extra's, no amps, just swap. What should I get? Thank you

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry guys, I am now more lost than ever, I know people have said to replace the speakers, that's all I want to do, no extra's, no amps, just swap. What should I get? Thank you
It really all depends on your budget for the speakers and who is going to install them. Crutchfield, sonic electronix they sell the speakers in a variety of price points. I would also check out a few shops in your area. This is most important listen to as many speakers as you can with the music you plan to play in your truck. The shops of course will try to sell you what they think is best. Good luck!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
exactly what cam101 said, go listen to some, price compare locally to like Sonic or Crutchfield, and make sure you get something that fits.
But your ears are the best judge.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cam and Gray Goose are right. Every set of ears hears a piece of music differently. We can all name off the top of the line or the most popular speakers, but it’s possible that none of them sound good to you. The most important part is to match the impedance of all of the speakers you want to buy if you’re replacing them all. If you don’t replace them all you have to match the speakers that are in the truck now.

PapaCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3.0 liter eco-diesel
If you already have the Alpine system and want to upgrade read the following I posted on the ecodiesel forum:
First off, please know that I consider myself an audio/music enthusiast, not an audiophile. I do not work for Audioquest and they have given me nothing. I’m no expert and enjoy music much more for the music than the lyrics. I plugged in my Dragonfly Red DAC (digital to analog converter) between my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Aux port inside the console box.
ecde4a1d-2ee4-4e86-befd-12987d4c75a1-jpeg.jpg

Sat in my truck in the garage so it would be very quiet for my test. I played about 20 songs in different genres but each for a specific reason. A few examples were John Mayer “Neon” live, George Michael/Elton John “Don’t let the Sun Go Down on Me”, Johnny Cash “Hurt”, Sam Smith “Writing’s on the Wall”, Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood “Remind Me”, The Eagles “Take it Easy”, Five for Fighting “100 Years”, Lady Gaga “Your Song” from the Revamp album of Elton‘s hits, Larry Carlton “Smiles and Smiles to Go”, Journey “Faithfully” and “Lights”, plus a bunch more. For each song I first listened via Bluetooth for enough time to get a good feel for the song then started it over via aux (With the DAC). Each song was better with the DAC than without. Some were moderately better but most were phenomenally better. When I played Michael Jackson “Man in the Mirror” via the DAC I got a huge smile on my face. The difference between Bluetooth and the DAC was most evident in this song. Audioquest makes 3 different small, portable DACs. When I bought the Red it was the better of the two offered. Black being the lesser unit. They just released the “Cobalt” version. All are able to have the firmware updated for free via the Audioquest website. If you check out their website you’ll see that the Dragonfly product is primarily intended for headphone use. Obviously you must use plug-in headphones vs wireless. The Dragonfly Red makes my Sennheiser HD600 headphones come alive. I enjoyed the sound of my RAM Alpine system so much better with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red that I may upgrade to the Cobalt version. Prices are $100 for Black, $200 for Red, and $300 for Cobalt. Compared to swapping speakers or going deeper into the Alpine system to get better sound I feel a Dragonfly is the best bang for the buck. AND there is no installation required!

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you already have the Alpine system and want to upgrade read the following I posted on the ecodiesel forum:
First off, please know that I consider myself an audio/music enthusiast, not an audiophile. I do not work for Audioquest and they have given me nothing. I’m no expert and enjoy music much more for the music than the lyrics. I plugged in my Dragonfly Red DAC (digital to analog converter) between my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Aux port inside the console box.
ecde4a1d-2ee4-4e86-befd-12987d4c75a1-jpeg.jpg

Sat in my truck in the garage so it would be very quiet for my test. I played about 20 songs in different genres but each for a specific reason. A few examples were John Mayer “Neon” live, George Michael/Elton John “Don’t let the Sun Go Down on Me”, Johnny Cash “Hurt”, Sam Smith “Writing’s on the Wall”, Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood “Remind Me”, The Eagles “Take it Easy”, Five for Fighting “100 Years”, Lady Gaga “Your Song” from the Revamp album of Elton‘s hits, Larry Carlton “Smiles and Smiles to Go”, Journey “Faithfully” and “Lights”, plus a bunch more. For each song I first listened via Bluetooth for enough time to get a good feel for the song then started it over via aux (With the DAC). Each song was better with the DAC than without. Some were moderately better but most were phenomenally better. When I played Michael Jackson “Man in the Mirror” via the DAC I got a huge smile on my face. The difference between Bluetooth and the DAC was most evident in this song. Audioquest makes 3 different small, portable DACs. When I bought the Red it was the better of the two offered. Black being the lesser unit. They just released the “Cobalt” version. All are able to have the firmware updated for free via the Audioquest website. If you check out their website you’ll see that the Dragonfly product is primarily intended for headphone use. Obviously you must use plug-in headphones vs wireless. The Dragonfly Red makes my Sennheiser HD600 headphones come alive. I enjoyed the sound of my RAM Alpine system so much better with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red that I may upgrade to the Cobalt version. Prices are $100 for Black, $200 for Red, and $300 for Cobalt. Compared to swapping speakers or going deeper into the Alpine system to get better sound I feel a Dragonfly is the best bang for the buck. AND there is no installation required!

Nice write up! But I hardly ever listen to my phone. It’s all coming from my radio and Sirius so that wouldn’t help.

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a nice set up you have there. You must have a Alpine, Kenwood , or Pioneer radio. Its probably putting out 50 watts per channel. When you put your sub and amp in there it will even louder but will should sound good as well.
Sorry man, made a typo, I have the amp in and just have to put a sub in. I want to lift the truck so the sub will have to wait.

PapaCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3.0 liter eco-diesel
The other bonus of having a Dragonfly DAC is for headphone listening. Still need an Apple adapter and, obviously, corded headphones but the sound quality increase is outstanding. If you are happy with Bluetooth earbuds then you may not desire this setup but if you’re keen on using a high end set of headphones (which are all corded) then this is a huge upgrade for portable listening.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the same speaker in front doors and 6x9 in rear door.
Sounds awesome.
I have the 8.4 head unit.
Have balance fromt to back set 2 clicks to rear from center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum