Squeak Squeak Squeak .... driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks, I didn't think this belonged in any other category... as the truck doesn't have a lift or isn't lowered.

So I'm going crazy, I just purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi - Quadcab Express. For the first few weeks of driving, I didn't have any squeaking, however, all of a sudden an annoying squeak developed. It sounds like it is coming from the rear (but I'm honestly not sure) whenever I hit a bumps or an uneven patch of road.

I'm not sure where it is coming from. I went ahead and sprayed down the bushings with white lithium grease, but the noise is still there.

Anyone else develop any similar issues?

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a guy on here probably a year ago who posted a video on YouTube about the rear 5 link suspension components squeaking. He solved it by re-torquing the mounting bolts on the control arms.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pedersen_tim

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your parking brake cable guides near the front of the rear wheel. Thats where it squeaks for me

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TC323i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your parking brake cable guides near the front of the rear wheel. Thats where it squeaks for me

I agree with this as I’ve had the same squeak and this was the culprit.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it Lifted or leveled?
Either way- Spray in the bucket where the top nut for the strut is in the engine bay and see if it goes away. Take a flash light.. your gonna need it lol. You will be able to see the top nut through the top of the bucket looking down , just spray in there.

Retrube

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SCSB 2wd
Engine
5.7 hemi, 3.92 LSD, 6 speed, Catch Can,CAI, Mufflex 5" tips, FM HD50, Hemifever tuned, 190 Thermo
Hello Gulrok. Congrats on the Ram purchase. My 2013 Ram developed a rear end noise shortly after I bought it in 2015. Two Dodge dealers couldn't figure it out and it only happened over sharp bumps. I tried lubing everything that could squeak and it just wouldn't go away.

I was visiting family and with my grandfather rocking the truck by pushing down on the tailgate, I was able to finally locate the squeak. It was a box to frame bolt that I turned almost 3 times before it was tight. No more Squeak again!

Good luck and if you have the airbag come on, check your under seat connectors or fuses under the hood. If they barely come loose, they will loose connection and kick on your ABS light. I have zip ties on my seat connections and they still work loose every week or two. I reach under, squeeze the connector and gtg for a bit again.

They are good trucks and I'd buy the exact same truck (with 8 speed though) all over again if given a choice.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Maybe check the seat bolts ? Also not sure if it been mentioned but body mounting bolts ? Those should be fairly easy to see and tighten. Exhaust hanger ? Maybe take it in to get rust proofed and that might get into where the squeak is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It might just be worth it to go through and torque everything... Any idea where I can find the torque specs for body mounts and suspension bolts?

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I went through the truck. I'm pretty sure its in the front.

Body mounts - Check.
Balljoints and tierod ends - torqued.
Control arm bolts were tight.
Strut Mount Bolts - Tight.
Front sway bar - Torqued.

I sprayed all the bushings and ball joints, including down the hole in the top of the front struts with silicone spray.

Still squeaking.

Checked the frame for any body bolts that were checking.. Nothing. (Read somewhere older 4th gen rams had bolts that hit the frame.)

Nothing looks crazy bad either. The driver's side did a sway bar end link that looked a little bit rough with cracked rubber.. I sprayed it down and it still squeaked.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. I went through the truck. I'm pretty sure its in the front.

Body mounts - Check.
Balljoints and tierod ends - torqued.
Control arm bolts were tight.
Strut Mount Bolts - Tight.
Front sway bar - Torqued.

I sprayed all the bushings and ball joints, including down the hole in the top of the front struts with silicone spray.

Still squeaking.

Checked the frame for any body bolts that were checking.. Nothing. (Read somewhere older 4th gen rams had bolts that hit the frame.)

Nothing looks crazy bad either. The driver's side did a sway bar end link that looked a little bit rough with cracked rubber.. I sprayed it down and it still squeaked.
Did you check where the parking brake cable goes through this hanger? You can see in this pic that the felt coated tape is rubbed through, and will cause squeaking. 43XFqK4.jpg

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you checked your passenger rear door to see if it is sagging when opened? If so it would allow it to move around slightly on the lock mechanism when closed and may cause the door seals to squeak.

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check where the parking brake cable goes through this hanger? You can see in this pic that the felt coated tape is rubbed through, and will cause squeaking.

I did.. I have wearing in the corner of that bracket though, I could see bare metal instead of the painted black. I did spray it down with some silicone spray yesterday but it didn't seem to make a difference. I just slipped the cable out of the bracket and let it do it's thing while I took a drive.

Honestly, I thought it made a difference as the squeak didn't start until 1/2 way through my drive, rather than 1/5 way. When I got home (about 3 mile loop) I went underneath and the cable was now pressing against the outside of the bracket. I wonder if it started rubbing on that and causing a squeak.

What's the solution to this problem? How did you fix it for your vehicle?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did.. I have wearing in the corner of that bracket though, I could see bare metal instead of the painted black. I did spray it down with some silicone spray yesterday but it didn't seem to make a difference. I just slipped the cable out of the bracket and let it do it's thing while I took a drive.

Honestly, I thought it made a difference as the squeak didn't start until 1/2 way through my drive, rather than 1/5 way. When I got home (about 3 mile loop) I went underneath and the cable was now pressing against the outside of the bracket. I wonder if it started rubbing on that and causing a squeak.

What's the solution to this problem? How did you fix it for your vehicle?
I just re-wrapped it in felt coated tape. I tried spray like you did, and it didn’t do anything.

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just re-wrapped it in felt coated tape. I tried spray like you did, and it didn’t do anything.

I think I'm going to grab zip ties tonight, and hang the cable out of the way so it doesn't touch the bracket. I'll report back to see if it worked or not.

EDIT: I obviously won't leave it like this. I'll devise a solution, but this can at least elp in diagnosing.

Have you checked your passenger rear door to see if it is sagging when opened? If so it would allow it to move around slightly on the lock mechanism when closed and may cause the door seals to squeak.

I haven't. I haven't noticed any sagging but will check and report back.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Did you check where the parking brake cable goes through this hanger? You can see in this pic that the felt coated tape is rubbed through, and will cause squeaking. 43XFqK4.jpg
Talk about the saying of a picture may be worth a million words. I was looking at the thread as I have a torturing squeak also. Thanks to your photo my squeak is gone!!!!

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

After tying it up, wrapping it bubble wrap, etc... the squeak persisted. I don't believe its the parking brake cable. That being said I didn't even have a felt cover on it.. I just had the clear plastic covering underneath the cover.

pedersen_tim

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe its time to turn the radio up hahaha

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe its time to turn the radio up hahaha

Hahaha, crap!

So I'm going to rewrap the felt tape on the brake lines just because. Because I'd kick myself if that was the problem the all along and I've been doing a sh'tty job diagnosing it.

OP
OP
G

Gulrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is not my truck, but this is the sound it makes!!!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In the video I’d say it’s something in the suspension components. Might seem like smooth roads but the suspension will feel and react to very minute bumps and imperfections. I’m guessing maybe the spring or maybe a shock is losing oil ? Check to see if your shocks leaked at all. You’ll see it especially if you’ve never rust proofed the truck.

Have someone in the bed of the truck jump up and down while you look around the truck. Crawl under, stick your head in engine bay with engine off obviously and listen. Do it in evening or night for a could reasons. It’s quieter and your neighbour won’t think you’re completely insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk