stuck.. security light on; turns off after starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeskanicole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
issue leading up to current prob..

truck wouldnt startno crank no dash lights no strt
bought on ebay win module box came with one fobik
removed bad win module
installed new win module
dash lights came on truck turned on THEN shut off
did again same thing

assuming its in anti theft mode i cant take to dealer cuz wont stay running
have not programmed anything module /key that came with

dont know what to do from here...

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@jeskanicole

The WIN and fobs need to be programmed.

To program the WIN Module and key fobs, you will need AlphaOBD and an interface cable (or similar program)

I use this cable

And AlphOBD (I use the windows version on my laptop)

Instructions to program them
Obtain PIN
1. Insert working key into existing WIN, turn to run position with engine off.

2. Have your OBD interface connected and AlfaOBD running and connected to the interface.

3. Select the following on the main screen in AlfaOBD:
-Car Model-> Your truck model (My truck is a Ram 2012 (DJ/DR))
-Function-> Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)
-Control Unit-> Wireless Control Module (WCM) - MY2011-12 non-PowerNet Var. 1 (There's a Var. 2, but has the same procedures as Var. 1, so i just used Var. 1, don't know what the difference is between the two)

4.Tap connect to connect to the module on the next screen. Connection status will indicate if you're connected or not.

5. Tap the icon of a car with the hood up in the lower right corner.

6. Select the following in the Active Diagnostics screen:
-Procedure to start -> Read PIN->Tap Start. Will display your trucks 4-digit PIN which will be used to program the new WIN and existing keys. I got my PIN from the dealer and verified it using this procedure.
-After obtaining your PIN, turn off truck, remove key and remove old WIN. You'll need a phillips and T20 bit to remove and replace the WIN. If you already got your PIN from the dealer you can skip the PIN retrieval instructions above and just proceed as below.

Program New WIN
1. After installing new WIN module, insert working key into new WIN, turn to run position with engine off.

2. Have your OBD interface connected and AlfaOBD running and connected to the interface.

-Control Unit-> Wireless Control Module (WCM) - MY2011-12 non-PowerNet Var. 1 (There's a Var. 2, but has the same procedures as Var. 1, so i just used Var. 1, don't know what the difference is between the two)

4.Tap connect to connect to the module on the next screen. Connection status will indicate if you're connected or not.

-Transfer Secret Key from PCM->Enter 4-digit PIN->Tap Start. Let the programing run, will say complete when finished. Cycle key off then back on, you'll have a flashing security light (red light at lower right corner near fuel gauge). Now program your existing keys to work with the new WIN.

Program Existing Keys (and new keys)
1. Insert working key into new WIN, turn to run position with engine off.

6.Select the following in the Active Diagnostics screen:
-Program Ignition Keys or Key FOBs->Enter 4-digit PIN->Start. Let the program run, will say testing complete when finished. Your instrument cluster lights will be on when it's done, this is normal. Cycle key off then back on and test all functions. You existing key is now programmed to the new WIN. Rinse and repeat for any additional keys. This is the same procedure if you are programming new keys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeskanicole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@jeskanicole

To program the WIN Module and key fobs, you will need AlphaOBD and an interface cable (or similar program)

I use this cable

Obtain PIN

-Procedure to start -> Read PIN->Tap Start. Will display your trucks 4-digit PIN which will be used to program the new WIN and existing keys. I got my PIN from the dealer and verified it using this procedure.
-After obtaining your PIN, turn off truck, remove key and remove old WIN. You'll need a phillips and T20 bit to remove and replace the WIN. If you already got your PIN from the dealer you can skip the PIN retrieval instructions above and just proceed as below.

Program New WIN
1. After installing new WIN module, insert working key into new WIN, turn to run position with engine off.

-Transfer Secret Key from PCM->Enter 4-digit PIN->Tap Start. Let the programing run, will say complete when finished. Cycle key off then back on, you'll have a flashing security light (red light at lower right corner near fuel gauge). Now program your existing keys to work with the new WIN.

-Program Ignition Keys or Key FOBs->Enter 4-digit PIN->Start. Let the program run, will say testing complete when finished. Your instrument cluster lights will be on when it's done, this is normal. Cycle key off then back on and test all functions. You existing key is now programmed to the new WIN. Rinse and repeat for any additional keys. This is the same procedure if you are programming new keys.

OP
OP
J

jeskanicole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@aszumilo

Thank you for responding, so this is the ONLY way to get my truck to start and out of theft mode ? i have the alfaOBD program but didnt realize u have to have the cord or obd BT scan or i would have done it but now i have to wait few more days and i dont have any other means of transportation and need my truck its been out of serv for a week ugh

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@aszumilo

Thank you for responding, so this is the ONLY way to get my truck to start and out of theft mode ? i have the alfaOBD program but didnt realize u have to have the cord or obd BT scan or i would have done it but now i have to wait few more days and i dont have any other means of transportation and need my truck its been out of serv for a week ugh
I just went thru this a few weeks ago. Same symptoms.

I don't think your truck is in ant-theft mode. Just that you need to program the module and fob. If the module and fobs are not programmed to the truck, it will not start and exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing. You might be able to get one of the cables off of Amazon in a day or so, or, you could see if any of the auto parts stores near you carry them. The AlphaOBD site will show you what cables will work with their program.

These are the ones that Alpha OBD recommends

Bluetooth OBD-II adapter

USB OBD adapter cable

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@aszumilo

If the truck is 2017 and under you will not need the SGM bypass cable.

OP
OP
J

jeskanicole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just went thru this a few weeks ago. Same symptoms.

I don't think your truck is in ant-theft mode. Just that you need to program the module and fob. If the module and fobs are not programmed to the truck, it will not start and exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing. You might be able to get one of the cables off of Amazon in a day or so, or, you could see if any of the auto parts stores near you carry them. The AlphaOBD site will show you what cables will work with their program.

These are the ones that Alpha OBD recommends

Bluetooth OBD-II adapter

USB OBD adapter cable
what about obdLink MX? is it compataable?

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
@jeskanicole

I use this cable

Obtain PIN

Program New WIN

Great write up. Does this procedure work for trucks with the push-button start as well?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok now im confused??
2018 and up have a security feature that prevents 3rd party software from writing to the pcm. There is a security bypass cable to get around this. You won't need that cable.