Sun Shade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Latest post I could find about this is a couple years old so I wondered if anything new has come out. The most popular one among the previous posters was the UVS100 from Covercraft.

Before I order one, does anyone have another brand they prefer? I bought one of the $16.95 ones from WM, and it was really well made, but it didn't fit my windshield. Too long by a couple inches - which I could have dealt with - and at 28.5" high it was probably OK there, but the notch for the mirror wasn't cut deep enough so the shade couldn't flatten out and was buckling in the middle.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Husky. It’s a CoverCraft clone. Has held up well through 5 years but doesn’t have the greatest fit.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I don't know what brand mine is. I bought it from Amazon for about $10 over five years ago. It's still working great, and it works with the large mirror bulge in our Limited. This is the style but probably not the same brand...

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know what brand mine is. I bought it from Amazon for about $10 over five years ago. It's still working great, and it works with the large mirror bulge in our Limited. This is the style but probably not the same brand...

Your link says it's 70 inches wide. The one I bought from WM was 63 inches and was too wide for the windshield.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Your link says it's 70 inches wide. The one I bought from WM was 63 inches and was too wide for the windshield.
Like I mentioned, it's not the one I bought but is the same style. Even so, I've used my sun shade in smaller SUV's with no issues. It can fit much smaller windshields because it's very flexible. But you should be able to find one that has dimensions closer to the vehicle you want to use it in if you're concerned about that.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like I mentioned, it's not the one I bought but is the same style. Even so, I've used my sun shade in smaller SUV's with no issues. It can fit much smaller windshields because it's very flexible. But you should be able to find one that has dimensions closer to the vehicle you want to use it in if you're concerned about that.
Thanks...the 63" too long part was kind of surprising to me, having a large cab like I do. I can deal with a few inches because I can fold some of it back, but too many inches and it overlaps my pillars and won't stay upright.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
The only semi-rigid parts of this are the two circular ribs. The rest is just fabric and can be bunched up if needed with no effect on the effectiveness of the shade. That's why I bought it in the first place, to be able to use it in different vehicles. Anyway, good luck with the search.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I did this search a couple years back and went with the Weathertech full vehicle kit for my 2500 crew cab. Front and doors fit great. My back window one is just a little too big, but still blocks most of the light out. I also got the bag that fits them all together for storage when not needed/driving.

Plug in your vehicle details, but here's LINK to one I'm talking about in my 2016.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did this search a couple years back and went with the Weathertech full vehicle kit for my 2500 crew cab. Front and doors fit great. My back window one is just a little too big, but still blocks most of the light out. I also got the bag that fits them all together for storage when not needed/driving.

Plug in your vehicle details, but here's LINK to one I'm talking about in my 2016.
Yes, WeatherTech was also on my short list.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I've had the weathertech shade. I didn't much care for it when not in use. I always had to deal with the giant silver roll banging around inside the vehicle. But to each his own. I can't imagine going with a full vehicle kit. 20% tint all around is a sufficient alternative to dealing with all of those window shades separately. But we use our vehicles daily. Maybe if we kept any of them parked for an extended length of time.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 Hemi
My Ram 1500 lives outside in the Nevada heat.
Good window tint and a quality windshield cover are a must.
The Covercraft UVS100 is a custom fit for the 5th Gen Rams. It's pricey, but not when you consider how much the trucks cost.
It will last the life of your truck, and the custom fit means no gaps or droops.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I live in the high desert, 20 miles in from San Diego

My truck never seems hot or over heated
My sun visors are always kept down, except for full dark driving
I have a rug like dash cover, my seats are mostly cloth.
I always have a shade that keeps the sun off of the back window, it is a sign needed for my business, that is currently closed

1718478019801.png

1718478529230.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't quite call El Cajon 'High Desert' at a little over 400 feet in elevation. I've hunted high desert out of Susanville at 4000 feet. Hotter than h*ll in the summer, a** deep in snow in January. But I will say you have the heat thing going on. :hunter:

RealTruck

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The Covercraft Custom Windshield Sun Shade is available. Covercraft uses laser scanning technology to create a custom fit product for your exact windshield. It's an accordion style fold for convenient stowing, and it's available in a silver or blue metallic finish. It's quite a sturdy product- it has a thick foam core center that works wonders to insulate your vehicle interior. You can even class it up with the Covercraft Carhartt Custom Windshield Sun Shade that comes in the classic Carhartt Brown colorway.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, before I made the decision my step-son bought me one. I don't know what brand it is, but it's one of the ones with the spring steel wire frame that you can twist and it rolls into a neat little circle. It fits perfectly when it is in place, but it's all one piece and when it's open it's so big that I can't maneuver it inside the cab so I have to open it outside then climb in and put it in place, which is kind of a PITA. But he bought it for me so I have to use it, at least for a while.