Superchips vs. Diablo - Please explain differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to probably be buying a tuner in a few months and wanted to not necessarily ask which is the BEST, because I know that is a very judgmental question, but my question is what are the differences between the two? My truck only has a Magnaflow 1 in, 1 out muffler. Other than that it is bone stock. I do not race the truck, I just simply drive it. With the tuner I am going to want to turn off the MDS but outside of that, I do not know the capabilities of the tuners. I am not technically inclined and I would LIKE to optimize the truck to run better, but I don't know how to change parameters necessary for this (spark, fuel, timing, etc.). Are there "standardized tunes" that do this for you based on your requests or do you have to tune each one individually? Basically I am wanting to know the capabilities of tuning for a very novice driver such a myself and if it is worth the money to get one. Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
It's actually not very judgmental as there is a distinct difference between the two. If you do not plan a lot of engine work or custom tuning, go with super chips, if you want to custom tune your truck or be able to to have control to change multiple parameters of your truck, go with diablo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Take a look at this link which will explain, in the first document, the capabilities and options of the Predator/Trinity programmers.

You don't have to do anything but load one of the standard tunes. Later on, as you learn more about the tuner, you may want to modify the tune a bit. If you lift the truck and put on larger tires & wheels, you can modify the tune to change the size and correct a speedometer error. If you change the differential gears, you can modify the tune for that.

You may find one standard tune works better for you than the others. I find the 91 octane tune works best for my truck, providing the best mix of mileage and performance. DiabloSport also now offers some mileage tunes. I haven't tried one and can offer no opinion or findings about them.

After you've had a chance to read the info at the link below, then go look at the other offerings and what options they offer. A short and simple comparison at that point will help you make your decision.

Good luck!

DiabloSport Knowledge Base

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Dsp won't modify the truck for gears, its not needed on our trucks. Neither is there cai tune, its just not available for the ram trucks.

As for differences, if you want to modify your truck beyond the basic bolt ons and want to tune it to bring out its full potential go with the dsp. If you want to keep the engine stock or just do minor things and basic bolt ons the the superchips is where its at.

Superchips also has the most user adjustable options as transmission tuning. The dsp has the most user adjustable engine tuning but also has the custom tuning options for both engine and transmission which open up a ton of options (for certain years).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yer right...I had forgotten the truck gearing is handled differently. I've spent too much time tweaking on my SRT!

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas, so it sounds like Superchips is my best bet. I don't plan on changing tire/wheel size either so stock is the way its staying.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If your looking for the DSP or the SC
I am running a special on them next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StunnaJB