Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wal-Mart's SuperTech. Ran it in a select group of fleet vehicles. No issues. We had the same Pentastar failures as the vehicles running national brand oil. No discernable performance difference (sludge, early lifter/rocker failures, leaks). It's cheap, runs 7500 miles like the rest of them. Maybe if you ran your engine 500k plus there would be a small performance edge on HIGH END oil, but in my little test group, 250k was about the normal life expectancy for a service vehicle. By that time it was worn out from being in the service life, idling, and about 9 million start/stop cycles. I've seen some scienced results comparing SuperTech to other national brands. It loses, but by a SMALL margin. Maybe this has been covered already, but I'm not reading the previous 2586 pages of comments to find out :)
The best thing for us all is most engines UNTIL recently are extremely forgiving. Now with di turbos, shrinking tolerances and small problem groups like hemi's, things are changing, but generally speaking most engines would never see much difference with super tech versus redline, or conventional versus synthetic. There are a couple exceptions if you are chasing cold performance or an extended interval, then trying oils made for that will help, but there is nothing wrong with cheaper oils especially these days when the API has a small window that forces all oils to be similar in formula.

So in my opinion anyone wanting to use super tech do a little research for yourself, so you can justify it to yourself, because surely anyone elses opinion doesn't mean much. What I would do if I was on this strategy, and I am with the other vehicle, is get a group of say 5 cheaper choices and look up the formula's with uoa's and/or voa's like on pqia and find one built best. Look at the entire formula and goodies like moly and boron levels, tbn and viscosity.

I can say I got lost when super tech went with different mileage oils and formulas, I muched preferred when they had one. So havoline synthetic, super tech, Kirkland are all in this ilk, cheap synthetic oils but look pretty similar to most of the most preferred oils such a as m1. There are many others as well, even pyb gets tossed into the mix even though it's group 2, the nice additive packages and low price puts it in this group in my opinion. When I did this work, I ended up with Kirkland 5w30, it is 15 bucks per 5 quart when Costco has it on sale =every other month. It is synthetic oil and if you look at the additives, looks like any top shelf otc oil. Look at the voa here. If there is a knock on super tech, it hasn't had a commitment to a stable formula, it can go from high moly, to no moly one year, to average moly.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Speaking of Redline, has anyone been able to find 5w30 in stock? Jegs, Summit, Amazon are all showing out of stock. Even their own site it's only available in quarts.......

I just now searched Amazon for "Red Line 5w-30"
I found single quarts and 6-quart cases in stock, $19.29 and $85.99 respectively.

This same link also has it by the gallon jug.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something to consider, if your buddy neighbor just bought an EV quick start ignoring him real quick, because it is a matter of time before he says hey buddy can I borrow your car because mine needs just 3 more full days to get to 100%. EV at 42% it takes 81 hours to get to full charge level 1 charger. Gotta get frosty with friends that drive ev's lest you new nickname will be Avis. I cant believe how many family or even spouses of family ask for my keys. This ain't the 60's and my name ain't Fred, no mthfreak you cannot have my keys. If I have like 10 more breaths of air in the life, still, nope you cannot borrow my keys.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We're lucky here, so far. I might have EV neighbors but I legit don't know them. All the neighbors I know by name are running on gas, and we all help each other out anytime help is needed or requested.

Just peeking in the driveways I'll say I haven't recognized any EVs, but some of them have surprised me because they seem to closely resemble their ICE cousins.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lakespeed Jr just dropped a new video. This should be a good one.

Wow! This really does sound interesting, but I'm going to need to find a way to relax myself. A nice beer/bourbon, etc. Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of it.

A 100-minute video of over-caffeinated Lake Speed Jr. might have unpredictable effects on me! :eek:
:Big Laugh:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Something to consider, if your buddy neighbor just bought an EV quick start ignoring him real quick, because it is a matter of time before he says hey buddy can I borrow your car because mine needs just 3 more full days to get to 100%. EV at 42% it takes 81 hours to get to full charge level 1 charger. Gotta get frosty with friends that drive ev's lest you new nickname will be Avis. I cant believe how many family or even spouses of family ask for my keys. This ain't the 60's and my name ain't Fred, no mthfreak you cannot have my keys. If I have like 10 more breaths of air in the life, still, nope you cannot borrow my keys.
Tell us how you really feel Mike :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This particular buddy of yours has a good laugh whenever his neighbor moves his $40k EV to get his gas powered car out because the EV isn't charged yet.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hard to believe what I am about to say, but it is 100% truthful, for those I chat with my ram has been getting in the 9's, as in high 9's mpg's. I am planning on a tune up soon. Enter today got gas after using Lucas octane boost, this tank I am in high 12's, as in no joke I am a tad above average and got exactly 3mpg's over what I have been getting. I honestly couldn't believe it, still wondering why,

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hard to believe what I am about to say, but it is 100% truthful, for those I chat with my ram has been getting in the 9's, as in high 9's mpg's. I am planning on a tune up soon. Enter today got gas after using Lucas octane boost, this tank I am in high 12's, as in no joke I am a tad above average and got exactly 3mpg's over what I have been getting. I honestly couldn't believe it, still wondering why,
Should benefit running 93 octane then unless you don't have in that area.
Same principle with advancing the timing for higher octane, not only will you have more power but increased gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I get 16 mpg highway, 14.5 mpg mixed, 10 mpg towing.
With the 6.4L in the 6,700 pound 2500 heavy duty. 3.73 axle, 66RFE 6 speed.

With premium 91 octane alcohol gas. Bump up +10% on the rare occasion I find pure gas.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As noted prior, I have the ugly 3.55's with the 545, way too much low rpm and I think I had 14mpg prior to tires, bumper, and lift. If I got 16 ever it would have been on evic, hand tested mileage I never seen that number 16.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
As noted prior, I have the ugly 3.55's with the 545, way too much low rpm and I think I had 14mpg prior to tires, bumper, and lift. If I got 16 ever it would have been on evic, hand tested mileage I never seen that number 16.

Clearly you need an overpriced, unserviceable BMW Autobahn motor in a new truck

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess i should have found the 3500 for new gears when I was shopping them, my guess 4.56 would wake up that 545 and I'm not an 90mph freeway guy anyhow. I'm fine at 65. Still on my short list since it appears that I'm gonna drive this truck til one of us dies.