Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My guess i should have found the 3500 for new gears when I was shopping them, my guess 4.56 would wake up that 545 and I'm not an 90mph freeway guy anyhow. I'm fine at 65. Still on my short list since it appears that I'm gonna drive this truck til one of us dies.

You could get a 4.10 for the half ton, couldn't you?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to believe what I am about to say, but it is 100% truthful, for those I chat with my ram has been getting in the 9's, as in high 9's mpg's. I am planning on a tune up soon. Enter today got gas after using Lucas octane boost, this tank I am in high 12's, as in no joke I am a tad above average and got exactly 3mpg's over what I have been getting. I honestly couldn't believe it, still wondering why,
Try running 93 only in it for a few tanks. I run 93 in it unless I have no other option which is rare. On the stock tune running 93 I get about 12-13mpg around town and 18-20 on the highway, even with my tires.

IMO 93 should be the requirement for a Hemi. The knock sensors in these trucks are so sensitive, even on the stock tune these trucks will pull a lot of timing when running on 87/89. When gas was over $5/gallon and I was using the truck to commute to work I dropped to 89 in a hope to save some money. My mpg dropped by about 1 and watching ST Knock PID on my Trinity showed it was pulling a LOT of timing essentially whenever I touched the gas pedal. Then that turned into LT Knock which is NOT what you want to see. And that was on every commute while running 89. On 93 it wouldn't pull anything on a normal commute. I realize the average person isn't going to be watching a scantool like that, but it is happening in the background.

My wife's 3.6 Jeep GC runs perfect on 87. Never seen that have more than 1-2* pulled and even that was only once while climbing a pretty steep grade on a hot day. Same with my Rogue, runs perfect on 87 with no timing pulled.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could get a 4.10 for the half ton, couldn't you?
The rear 9.25 can take up to 4.88s I believe, it's the front diff that's the limiting factor and the 1500s. The 2011+ ZF front diffs are even worse to find gears for. I keep thinking about getting 3.92s for my truck because it would be a simple front diff swap, but I just don't know how much gain it would really be to go from 3.55s to 3.92s...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The rear 9.25 can take up to 4.88s I believe, it's the front diff that's the limiting factor and the 1500s. The 2011+ ZF front diffs are even worse to find gears for. I keep thinking about getting 3.92s for my truck because it would be a simple front diff swap, but I just don't know how much gain it would really be to go from 3.55s to 3.92s...
It's huge going from my 355/545 to my friends 392/65rfe. I was like a kid in a candy store toasting the wheels at every stop one day, lol. Because you have the better transmission, dunno but I bet it is a lot.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 4" lift and 35s, I'm averaging 13L/100kms according to screen in the dash. On some days it goes to down to 12.5L/100km. I've even gotten 11.7L/100km when cruising on the highway on a road trip. All cruising at 110kph.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 4" lift and 35s, I'm averaging 13L/100kms according to screen in the dash. On some days it goes to down to 12.5L/100km. I've even gotten 11.7L/100km when cruising on the highway on a road trip. All cruising at 110kph.
Transmission type & differential gear ratio would help.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think the octane booster was so good it overcame an issue I am having somewhere, which is kind of amazing and I admit hard to believe. Hopefully before summer I crack into what is going on and at least complete my tune up. I do believe 14mpg is the ceiling with this trans/gear combo. Trade ya Murph...

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I get 22 mpg on the interstate with my 8 speed hemi.

So do i, but I credit driving in the far right lane, doing the speed limit, Top Tier
89 octane, and most of all... my 3.21 rear diff.

Although I've never towed with it, I think I read the tow limit is 7,000lbs,
which is the same as my 2006 V6 Tacoma with 5-speed AT and 3.73 gears.
So I'm glad I didn't buy it for towing!

Interestingly, the fuel economy is the same on flat ground, the Ram is better
on highways with hills because the Taco needed to downshift to maintain 65mph.
And with cruise control it would downshift as far as 3rd gear! That just killed
any fuel economy. The Ram might downshift 1 or 2 gears keeping the engine
speed at a reasonable level.

At 65-70mph my Hemi is turning 1500 rpm in 8th.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
So do i, but I credit driving in the far right lane, doing the speed limit, Top Tier
89 octane, and most of all... my 3.21 rear diff.

Although I've never towed with it, I think I read the tow limit is 7,000lbs,
which is the same as my 2006 V6 Tacoma with 5-speed AT and 3.73 gears.
So I'm glad I didn't buy it for towing!

Interestingly, the fuel economy is the same on flat ground, the Ram is better
on highways with hills because the Taco needed to downshift to maintain 65mph.
And with cruise control it would downshift as far as 3rd gear! That just killed
any fuel economy. The Ram might downshift 1 or 2 gears keeping the engine
speed at a reasonable level.

At 65-70mph my Hemi is turning 1500 rpm in 8th.

I've the same setup on my RAM 1500 Express RCSB truck, but never was concerned about my HEMI's fuel economy.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've the same setup on my RAM 1500 Express RCSB truck, but never was concerned about my HEMI's fuel economy.
Yep, no "concern" here either. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and it's even less of a concern now that I am retired.

I figure I go through roughly 1 tank per month as our primary ride. And if it ever came down to it we could just use my wife's Eclipse more often. A very different ride but still fun.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yep, no "concern" here either. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and it's even less of a concern now that I am retired.

I figure I go through roughly 1 tank per month as our primary ride. And if it ever came down to it we could just use my wife's Eclipse more often. A very different ride but still fun.

I didn't mean to sound rude with my note.

Yeh, I've been retired four years coming up in December and might burn a tank of gas in a months time and it's just I don't think about it much anymore.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't mean to sound rude with my note.

Yeh, I've been retired four years coming up in December and might burn a tank of gas in a months time and it's just don't think about it much anymore.

Nope, no "rude" detected. Sometimes I'm just trying to keep the convo going. ;)

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been thinking of why Havoline doesn't get much press, even here in Dubai, considering its quite cheap and still have a good additive package.
I got my answer.
Talking to Chevon/Caltex, I found out who was the local distributor here in Dubai.
I went there and.. well here is a transcript of the convo with the guy at the counter:
Me: "Morning, I'm looking for Havoline Pro DS. I was told that you are the local distributor."
Clerk: "Hello Sir, Yes we have Havoline."
I scan the shelves of the shop and see only one bottle of Havoline.
Me: "Do you have Havoline Pro DS?"
Clerk: "No, we only have Havoline engine oil."
Me: "Havoline Pro DS is engine oil."
Clerk: "We only have Havoline 5w30 and 5w40. Which one do you need?"
Me: "I'm looking for Havoline ProDS 5w30".
Clerk: (Rather rudely)"What you see on the shelf, this is all we have."
Me: "OK. Thank you for the info."

Its distributors like this, with uninformed, lazy sales people like this that ruin a reputation of any brand.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I get about 14.5 mpg mixed driving summer driving my 6,600 pound tank truck empty, with 6.4L Hemi, 66RFE trans, 3.73:1 gear axle. All highway it gets 16 mpg.

When I tow I get between 9-10, which is still better than the RV in the 7-8 mpg range with GM 8.1L V8 big block.

I've been getting Costco Premium Octane gas lately, which comes with Minnesota-mandated 10% ethanol (agribusiness subsidy program). Since lots of big biz get taxpayer subsidies, the part the irritates me is them promoting their bribery law by telling us alcohol fuel is good for us. Most studies show it is not, at best it is neutral, and usually a net hand-out to the processors. It has less energy, and prices reflect that, but subsidized to be lower than raw gas, so your mileage is lower and you have to fill up more often. Such a crock. Best government that money can buy-off.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a year or so since I checked in on what oil everyone is using.

I've got a 2015 with a 6.4 just about to crack 120k.

I was running Red Line, and the last two changes, my local supplier has me on what's supposed to be similar in a Valvoline, but I think I hear more valvetrain in both my truck and my GC with a 5.7. Could be placebo, could be real.

What's the recommendations? And I keep seeing Lubegard mentioned. Is it worth the extra $20 every change?

Last edited: