Votes: 406 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,009 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 675 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Scania V8 is over 65 years in the making and the new ones don't even have EGRs, no Jake brake, they are using an hydraulic thing called a Retarder after the gearbox for braking without noise! The gerbox is a manual with robot shifting = automatic.
Marine variant of the engine makes 1.150hp

View attachment 550232
View attachment 550229
Like I said, they can make ferocious horsepower. Driveline retarders, electric and hydraulic, have also been around for a long time. Nothing new under the sun.

Attachments

• 20180725_111802.jpg
    20180725_111802.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180725_111826.jpg
    20180725_111826.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sweden are aiming for longer trucks in the future, standard have been 24Meters / ~79 feet for a loong time, but now 34.5 meters / 113 feet on the bigger roads

I see they didnt have those backing up to a dock, lol. My guess impossible to back up 3 boxes.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I see they didnt have those backing up to a dock, lol. My guess impossible to back up 3 boxes.
Here you go, just for you Burla and on ice and both driving axles are spinning so he needs to hunt for traction ;)

Looks like the configuration is different on the long ones (34m / 111.5Feet) if you are docking, they switch down to 2 long trailers and the last axel on the first trailer is a steering axle to

Scania playing with extra trailers making a road train 90m/~295feet 11years ago

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I don't think the long ones ever going out in the woods for timber. But I think our timber trucks still are different than yours to right? 24m/~79feet usually comes with it's own crane on it + you never se a helper engine on trailers here, everything is hooked up to the trucks hydraulic system

1725624819306.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here you go, just for you Burla and on ice and both driving axles are spinning so he needs to hunt for traction ;)

Looks like the configuration is different on the long ones (34m / 111.5Feet) if you are docking, they switch down to 2 long trailers and the last axel on the first trailer is a steering axle to

Scania playing with extra trailers making a road train 90m/~295feet 11years ago

Like I have an idea coming from the snowiest country on erf, hey lets make our rigs carry even bigger load with more boxes, yeah that's it, lol. I drove a truck for 10 years in mild climate and I personally with my own eyes seen 2 Jack knifes and those were for simple braking errors. To me this is some stupid stuff, I wouldn't want that on the same road I'm on.

By the way side note one of those Jack knifes was the best driving I ever seen in my days. A dude was taking a left turn on a highway with the rig behind him, slams on his brakes. Rig slams on his brakes and tried to avoid car to the right and his rear instantly went around all wheels locked. Dude smartly (after his first two errors) takes his foot off the brakes at the last possible second and the rear corrects and follows the cab safely around the car, on a loaded with traffic highway!! He hit nothing, didn't even pull over, lmao?? I love that guy. I bet that didn't even make an incident report, lol. I seen some stuff, that was the damnedest thing ever I seen bar none. Up there with a store owner chasing a thief with a sword in the mission SF, but the jack knifes takes the top for sure.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Like I have an idea coming from the snowiest country on erf, hey lets make our rigs carry even bigger load with more boxes, yeah that's it, lol.
I drove a truck for 10 years in mild climate and I personally with my own eyes seen 2 Jack knifes and those were for simple braking errors. To me this is some stupid stuff, I wouldn't want that on the same road I'm on.

By the way side note one of those Jack knifes was the best driving I ever seen in my days. A dude was taking a left turn on a highway with the rig behind him, slams on his brakes. Rig slams on his brakes and tried to avoid car to the right and his rear instantly went around all wheels locked. Dude smartly (after his first two errors) takes his foot off the brakes at the last possible second and the rear corrects and follows the cab safely around the car, on a loaded with traffic highway!! He hit nothing, didn't even pull over, lmao?? I love that guy. I bet that didn't even make an incident report, lol. I seen some stuff, that was the damnedest thing ever I seen bar none. Up there with a store owner chasing a thief with a sword in the mission SF, but the jack knifes takes the top for sure.
Less CO₂ ;) ... They have calculated 4-6% less CO₂ emissions,
there will only be driving on less than 3.800 miles of specified roads that are already heavily salted wintertime and I think all wheels have ABS. Let's hope the worst drivers don't try them :D

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I left that job in 96, so I never had abs attached to my air brakes which became law after that I hear. I had a narly grade I went over twice a week, always pulled over to let traffic by and started in first and tried to hold that gear as long as possible and up through 3-4 in a 7 speed, always trying to use my engine rpm's as a brake. The grade was in charge period stop, you can plan and use any strategy you want, but I was always heavy and your engine and brakes cannot help you when it's that steep. Alamo was the locking air brake, God help me if I ever had to use it, glad I didn't. Now, adding cars is adding brakes yes, but weight as well. Let us know that works out long term. I think there is a general lack of knowledge in the public when they see truck run offs on grades, oh how cute they put those there, lol. Most people do not understand how on the edge rigs can be. Like the ragged edge I'm telling you from first hand experience.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 1984 Cadillac Seville with the HT4100. It had a goofy engine with an aluminum block, but the heads were cast iron. It had an intake gasket recall/problem early in its life, but after that, it was smooth sailing till 100K when I sold it. It was even a lower end Caddy as it had crushed velour seating, not leather.
YUP, had a 1986 same car, same POS motor.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I left that job in 96, so I never had abs attached to my air brakes which became law after that I hear. I had a narly grade I went over twice a week, always pulled over to let traffic by and started in first and tried to hold that gear as long as possible and up through 3-4 in a 7 speed, always trying to use my engine rpm's as a brake. The grade was in charge period stop, you can plan and use any strategy you want, but I was always heavy and your engine and brakes cannot help you when it's that steep. Alamo was the locking air brake, God help me if I ever had to use it, glad I didn't. Now, adding cars is adding brakes yes, but weight as well. Let us know that works out long term. I think there is a general lack of knowledge in the public when they see truck run offs on grades, oh how cute they put those there, lol. Most people do not understand how on the edge rigs can be. Like the ragged edge I'm telling you from first hand experience.

You should have driven in the 70's when the government tried anti-lock on big trucks.
It was called the "721" brake system. If you weren't very careful, the brakes would release just as you were having to stop hard, and you would come close to running over what was in front of you.

Close, if you were lucky, which I was.

Most everyone disconnected the system right away, which the company I drove for did.

I've done a lot of different things in my lifetime, sort of a "Jackazz of All Trades"...lol

I've put over 2 million miles in all kinds of trucks through the years (since 1975) , many of which were my own.

Today's anti-lock in big trucks is a very good system.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Like I have an idea coming from the snowiest country on erf, hey lets make our rigs carry even bigger load with more boxes, yeah that's it, lol. I drove a truck for 10 years in mild climate and I personally with my own eyes seen 2 Jack knifes and those were for simple braking errors. To me this is some stupid stuff, I wouldn't want that on the same road I'm on.

You had me at "a store owner chasing a thief with a sword"! :Jedi:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was that the same GM engine put in the Caddy's that had the cooling system shut down thingy to protect it from overheating? I think it was called the Northstar?

Funny you mention the Caddy's with the 8-6-4 engine shutdown feature. Brings back another memory when a friend back then had a brown sedan de ville with this engine in it.

Frequently the engine would misbehave and cause issues for us when we would go touring about. Good thing we had herbal cigarettes and road beverages to help with the trips. Oh, the good ole days indeed! :driver:
That was early GM cylinder deactivation. I believe the computer of that time couldn’t keep up with the technology. However, the cylinder deactivation could simply be turned off and kept in eight cylinder mode with a plug wire disconnect.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You had me at "a store owner chasing a thief with a sword"! :Jedi:
ok well, let me tell you about it then.

I was in the mission eating a burrito in my truck on a corner (best place in the world for those), I had a great place to observe the entire event being so high up, the store was the store across the street from the restaurant. So a Frito lay truck was coming from behind me taking a left turn onto mission, a brother came hauling out this store and jumped onto the mirror of the Frito lay truck and was screaming gogogo, because the store owner was coming at him with a sword. The Frito lay driver gassed it, lol, and stopped about 1/2 down the street letting the guy off his mirror. The owner was still in the street with the sword but he was walking back to the store. Then now thinking he was safe the brother starting yelling all kinds of smoke at the store owner who was walking back to his store. Well, that was it the dude with a sword now even more piz'd took after him like a b-line as fast as he could and the brother high tailed it out of there. Then I will never forget this guy with a proud look on his face standing tall lazily walking back to his store with his sword. I completely isht you not, one of those things I will never forget. Mind you this is the mission district at noon, it was crowded, lol. Not a cop to be seen.

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changing topics here. Purchased my ram with 142k miles and since carfax shows 8- 10k OCI since new at places like Wal Mart, jiffy lube etc., decided to use Valvoline restore and protect 5W30 for three 4,000 mile OCI to potentially clean things up. May not be needed but why not? I have run QSFS 5W30 for 4k miles since i had it on hand, changed to PUP 5W30 with Biotech 4k miles due to great reports from members here and now Valvoline RP 5W30 going on 1k miles. Truck is tick free since I purchased even on dealership 5W20. I picked up a horoscope and would like to know the best location to inspect and document before and after without too much hassle. What are you all thoughts on best location(s) to take some pics?

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changing topics here. Purchased my ram with 142k miles and since carfax shows 8- 10k OCI since new at places like Wal Mart, jiffy lube etc., decided to use Valvoline restore and protect 5W30 for three 4,000 mile OCI to potentially clean things up. May not be needed but why not? I have run QSFS 5W30 for 4k miles, PUP 5W30 with Biotech 4k miles and now Valvoline RP 5W30 going on 1k miles. Truck is tick free since I purchased even on dealership 5W20. I picked up a horoscope and would like to know the best location to inspect and document before and after without too much hassle. What are you all thoughts on best location(s) to take some pics?

Honestly Valvoline is probably the best off the shelf oil you can get at this point IMO so keep using that if you're truck likes it. I've seen some posts online that suggest the Extended Protection High Mileage has a good amount of ester in it. And it's has 300+ PPM of moly.

For the boroscope, it's tricky but you can get it down into the where the pushods are thru the oil fill cap spout. It's not a direct shot but if you can get it down there that's where sludge would be if there is any...

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the boroscope about 8 inches down the oil filler neck and took several pics. Could not go any further due to the rod like object. Is this a pushrod?
Image_2024-09-06 18_25_27_987.png
Image_2024-09-06 18_25_10_853.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Changing topics here. Purchased my ram with 142k miles and since carfax shows 8- 10k OCI since new at places like Wal Mart, jiffy lube etc., decided to use Valvoline restore and protect 5W30 for three 4,000 mile OCI to potentially clean things up. May not be needed but why not? I have run QSFS 5W30 for 4k miles since i had it on hand, changed to PUP 5W30 with Biotech 4k miles due to great reports from members here and now Valvoline RP 5W30 going on 1k miles. Truck is tick free since I purchased even on dealership 5W20. I picked up a horoscope and would like to know the best location to inspect and document before and after without too much hassle. What are you all thoughts on best location(s) to take some pics?
See this thread. I'm not sure how to see bottom of sides on piston, but that thread you can see tops of pistons.. The Valvoline product appears to clean the bottom of pistons and the si-1 cleans the tops and top/side. I think both are a great strategy, that is exactly what I would do if I bought a 140k engine.

have you seen oil geeks YouTube's on restore and protect?

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Burla Oil Geeks YouTube is what convinced me to try Restore and Protect. Saw a VOA on this oil somewhere and if memory serves me correct it has around 200 ppm moly.

Also, after reading about the effectiveness of using SI1 cleaner on this forum, I have used two bottles, one each just prior to oil changes. I’ll pull a plug tomorrow morning and inspect piston top to see what it looks like. Probably do #3 since I had a misfire on that cylinder two days after buying the truck. Planned to return it to the dealer thinking it was due to lifter failure but after researching this forum decided to replace coil pack on that cylinder and ran a bottle of SI1 cleaner. Cleared code and haven’t seen it since. May be the reason previous owner traded the truck in and I got a sweet deal on it. That along with a torn and leaking CV boot, hyper flashing blinking turn signal, humidity sensor failure, hard downshift from 2 to 1, Evap code and broken manifold bolts on both sides. Funny thing is none of this was evident during my test drive but all popped up within 48 hours after purchase. Fixed it all within a month thanks to members posts and experience on this forum along with the help of alpha obd. Truck is now solid and runs great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum