TCM, PCM programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen Yale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took my 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel in for oil change and state inspection. Service guy informed me there are multiple updates available for my TCM and PCM. They want $399 to do the updates.

Q1, is this cheaper to get done at the dealership?

Q2, Can I do it myself ( I am a technical person)

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Updates are USUALLY to you benefit. But four hundred to do them???? Hope he defined what "multiple" means. I see TCM + PCM = 2 total.

I always thought they did them for zip, if vehicle was in for service already.

OP
OP
S

Stephen Yale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealership quotes $210 per update and only do recalls for free. Is there a a way via obd2 I can see what versions i have and see what is available to see if it is to my benefit e.g. fuel saving etc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The dealership quotes $210 per update and only do recalls for free. Is there a a way via obd2 I can see what versions i have and see what is available to see if it is to my benefit e.g. fuel saving etc.
I highly doubt any of the updates are for fuel economy .If the truck runs good and the radio works good and it passes emissions i'd leave it alone and wouldn't worry about the updates,especially if you have to pay for them